Technics 1200GR vs alternatives

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Giacomo Belbo, Sep 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Is it fully printed or you derived it from the serial number?

2. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Derived from the serial number: LA8LA00xxxx

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
  3. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Interesting, they kept the same SN format as till 2010.

4. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

UPDATE (and good news for some) - Guitar Center now says "In Stock and Ready to Ship" for the SL-1210GR ---- looks like they got them in a lot earlier than the former 4/3 date that was advertised to date.

5. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

There’s something wrong with me...I’ve got a G on its way to New Jersey for Technics to “evaluate” for repair, and I’m still tempted by this. :crazy::laugh:

6. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

You're in good company. I swore my GAE would be "the last turntable I ever buy", so does it count that I bought a GR as a secondary table? :laugh:

GR is still in the box. I have a Nagaoka MP-200 en route from Japan, I'd rather just set up the GR when the cart arrives.

recstar24 likes this.
  7. TheVinylAddict

Misery loves company --- I need another turntable like I need another hole in my head personally --- but more than tempted too.

But for me I have stepped back and considering trying out a G instead! Being a long time Technics owner, with the G and GR I just "gots to know!" I am always wondering what the G or GR brings over my standard 1200's (plural because I have three!)

snorker likes this.
  8. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

It's not good for the heart and soul to be struggling with temptation. I suggest you satisfy your temptation. Buy the GR and tell us how it compares with the G, I think it will come back from Technics in perfect shape.

displayname likes this.
  9. punkmusick

Buy both and tell us how they compare!

displayname and TheVinylAddict like this.
  10. Anjo

Anjo Active Member

Repair I thought they were built like a tank :(

bever70 likes this.
  11. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

You can never have too many turntables :p

12. Darren8

Darren8 Well-Known Member

Dang!!! Mine is still on backorder. GC better be careful every day I get closer to taking that 90 minute drive to audition the in stock and 15 percent discounted Rega P6
    D

13. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

Long story, set out earlier in another thread thread with video. The platter may have been defective from the beginning and I didn't notice. It's still under warranty, so I contacted Technics. Their customer support has been quite good so far. They will receive my turntable this morning and will evaluate the issue.

displayname and patient_ot like this.
  14. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

Good question. I also considered buying an SL-1200Mk2 from Craig's List!

15. classicrocker

classicrocker Life is good!

Hurry up and hook it up and give us a comparison between the GAE and the GR! :)

SamS likes this.
  16. TheVinylAddict

Go ahead, we haven't had a "My Rega had xxxx problem" thread on the board in the last hour or two, maybe you could help!:hide::angel:

Darren8, Slick Willie and bever70 like this.
  17. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Stay strong.

Darren8 likes this.
  18. TheVinylAddict

At least you'll be able to see it first hand and hopefully test before paying! The last 1200 I picked up on CL was $300 (black one) and it was in $800 shape!
    That's what I keep telling my wife!!!

I didn't have trouble convincing her of the "you can never have enough clamps" for the woodshop because she'd walk in and see them all deployed in a glue up............ but with the TT's her logic of "you only play one at a time" is hard to argue!

rlwings and bever70 like this.
  19. Drewan77

Drewan77 Forum Resident

I keep telling my wife "you only wear one at a time" but it doesn't stop her buying dresses! (I also have a lot of turntables)

20. matrix-6

matrix-6 Forum Resident

So, one minor gripe on the SL-1210GR compared to my Pro-Ject Carbon Classic when it comes to quality. The SL-1210GR arm doesn't glide down like on the Pro-Ject. It's a robust table but the arm control almost feels flimsy. I said it! Suckas! :)

Also the drop is louder even when lowering it slowly. Not sure why. I have a Nagaoka MP-200 cart on it and I'm using the Phone Pre on a Yamaha A-S1100. The Pro-Ject is on the pre on a Yamaha R-N602. I replaced the 602 with the A-S1100, but kept the 602 as the Tuner and streamers and decided to keep the Pro-Ject hooked up as well. But yeah, when lowering the tone arm I feel I have to be much more careful with the SL-1210GR compared to the Pro-Ject. I'm always careful, so not a big deal, but the Pro-Ject just felt smoother and higher quality.

21. vinylkid58

vinylkid58 Forum Resident

Pretty sure all the SL-1200's are like that. At least mine is, but I don't use it much, so it doesn't matter. Ever seen a DJ use the cue-up lever.:laugh:

jeff

22. matrix-6

matrix-6 Forum Resident

That reminds me, one time at a record shop I used a lever to test out a record and it just slammed down because it was busted. Zero resistance/glide. It fell like a brick, or rather knife straight on the record. :eek: I couldn't believe it. That was the last time I ever used a lever in a shop. That said, I'm not a DJ and I have this stupid fear of manually dropping the needle. I know it's safe but I don't want to risk messing up the stylus over time with minor lateral movements on the drop. That or dropping it too fast. I'm not the steadiest hand. The lever just feels safer for home/non-DJ use. Also, I don't want to create pops on the lead-in. I like my vinyl clean and quiet.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
  23. punkmusick

I always use my GR's cue lever. Always, I mean literally everytime I begin or finish a side of a record. It gets better with the time once the fluid settles and you get used to how it works. No complaints here. Works much better than my hands that are pretty good by the way.

Drewan77 likes this.
  24. classicrocker

classicrocker Life is good!

Yeah that is one area if I was to suggest an improvement it would be the cueing on my GR. Not because the drop is louder but it is a bit flimsy compared to the build of the rest of the rig IMHO.

Still, I have no issue with the damping of the action as it drops smoothly on my unit but they could have made it a little more robust I think.

punkmusick likes this.
  25. matrix-6

matrix-6 Forum Resident

Yeah, it's not that bad. Just one of those things. Like missing the icing on the cake.

punkmusick and classicrocker like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.