Technics 1200GR vs alternatives

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Giacomo Belbo, Sep 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MusicNBeer

MusicNBeer Forum Resident

Looking up at the feet. They are screwed in with standard orientation, clockwise tightens.

recstar24 likes this.
  2. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

[​IMG]

Cyclone Ranger and punkmusick like this.
  3. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Thank you!

4. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

it's all about speed accuracy and torque for me. brings a new dimension of energy and stability to the sound that every belt drive turntable i listened to failed to duplicate. add a top shelf cartridge with a perfect mass / compliance / resonance match and a quality mat and you have minimized any perceived weaknesses in the tonearm.

McLover, csgreene, recstar24 and 2 others like this.
  5. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

Is the GR the best direct drive table under $4k? Absolutely. I'm glad you found what you were looking for.

6. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

From front: counter clockwise will reduce height, clockwise will increase height.

recstar24 likes this.
  7. andybeau

andybeau Forum Resident

righty tighty leftie loosey :winkgrin:

MusicNBeer likes this.
  8. MusicNBeer

You had to make it complicated! :frog:

andybeau likes this.
  9. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

Sigh, this thread is killing me. I want one but am having trouble justifying the price for a guy already has a perfectly good Technics linear tracker with a quartz lock direct drive - the SL-QL1. This was a table that cost nearly $500 in the early 80's when I bought it. After fussing so much with my Marantz 6100 which is steady but running at about 32.7, I'm ready to give up on that. I've tried to convince myself to *settle* for the PLX-1000 but I just can't seem to do it even though it's probably 70-75% of the table the 1200GR is at about 40% of the cost. Sigh...

Giacomo Belbo and MusicNBeer like this.
  10. MusicNBeer

csgreene, I have absolutely zero regrets about getting my GR. Actually I almost wish I got a G! I know in my case, I've never regretted buying a quality product, which these are.

displayname likes this.
  11. classicrocker

classicrocker Life is good!

Hello CS, it is always a tough decision on which way to go with audio purchases but based on the feedback on this forum members who own the Pioneer PLX-1000 are very happy with their purchase and report very few issues with those Hanpin Mfg TT's.

I also own a new Technics 1210GR and it is a fantastic TT which will most likely outlast me. Is it worth 2X the cost of a Pioneer? I never compared the 2 so it is hard to say but you will be happy with the GR if you get one.

Giacomo Belbo likes this.
  12. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

this thread is killing you but read the petition thread if you want total anhilation....

punkmusick and displayname like this.
  13. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

You guys are nothing but enablers! ;) I appreciate quality like I have in my current Technics - a table that's never needed service in over 35 years (other than a tonearm belt and cartridge). I like Rolex and Omega watches, Lexus Land Cruisers, etc., etc. I had made a $1750 deposit on a new Astro-Physics refractor after being on a waiting list for almost two decades. However, I already have two very nice Televue refractors and ended up cancelling the purchase and getting the $1750 back so it's like free money, right? RIGHT?? ;)

14. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

You got your money's worth out of that unit 20 years ago, and you are now 20 years past due on upgrading your TT IMO. You may not need to upgrade today because it still functions properly, but the 1200GR is a WAY better turntable all the way around. You will love the quality too. These units are built like tanks!

And if you need to save a few bucks, to feel good about this purchase, then just watch guitar center for their 15% off coupons which they offer multiple times a year and buy the 1210GR like I did the next time that a coupon comes out.

patient_ot and displayname like this.
  15. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

I wouldn't replace the SL-QL1, I'd move it upstairs and hook it into my Marantz PM8004 based system. As far as the GC/MF sales, I'd have to add 6% sales tax so I'd save less than $100 when all is said and done. No, I've just gotta decide if it would really be worth it to me to add another table. I'm not one to quit on a piece of gear because it's older. I tend to be a buy and hold guy. :)

16. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

This may help:

Technics SL-1210GR & Pioneer PLX-1000

Maybe it was placebo effect, but if that is the case, it is a placebo that makes me very happy since June.

Antwurp likes this.
  17. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

I've read your couple threads about this gear and found them quite interesting. I'm not overly interested in getting into the weeds with audio gear (as my signature implies). The Pioneer is very tempting and I have the opportunity to buy a new one for $629 shipped. I can get the Technics for $1625 shipped. I have no doubts about what I'd get with the Technics but I do have doubts about the Pioneer. Not that it isn't a good table now but will it be in 10 years? The real rub for me is, do I play records enough to justify the higher cost? I may have 500+ albums but much of my listening is streaming (Spotify and Pandora) or CDs. But that "listening" is in the background. There is something about playing a record, especially one you've owned for decades, that's special and makes you pay attention more. Earlier this evening, I was listening (paying attention) to my CD of "Time Out" and it's an incredible recording. But it's not the same engagement as playing the vinyl version even though the CD is cleaner and better mastered. It's that vinyl thing that makes me seriously consider getting the Technics and mounting up an AT VM540ML that I bought to use on my annoying Marantz 6100.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
    punkmusick likes this.
  18. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

You will not be satisfied with the Pioneer, even if there was compelling evidence that its performance surpassed the performance of the Technics. Here's how I know. You like Rolex watches. I'm not a phycologist but possession of luxury products apparently makes some people feel good, like me. It could be that you have an appreciation for craft and want to reward those who are offering products which are well crafted, who knows. Only thing for sure is you want the real deal, not a knock off, which, for you, would be like wearing a fake Rolex, not the image you want to project about yourself to others.

displayname and MusicNBeer like this.
  19. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

Good analogy. I don't like knockoffs and that's what all the other versions are. It's about as simple as that.

MusicNBeer likes this.
  20. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

Update, Musician's Friend has a 15% off sale that applies to the Technics so I ordered one for $1445 shipped. Delivery won't be until mid-December but that's fine.

21. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

Welcome to the club!

22. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

I understanding holding on to old gear that has served you well. I do the same thing. I'm not suggesting that you upgrade because it is old, merely because it is significantly better in its own right. And don't forget that no longer being limited to P mount cartridges will allow for the use of superior cartridges. I only mentioned the age, because in my mind $500 spent 35 years ago means that your cost per year of ownership has been around $15. That is downright cheap! So good job for not wasting your money over the years!

Anyways, only you can decide what is right for you. I'm merely telling you that this is a far better machine, and that IMO it is a good value, even at its not inconsequential price.

23. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

And, as I posted, I bought one!

classicrocker and MusicNBeer like this.
  24. MusicNBeer

And, as you posted, you got a better deal than me! I bought mine from musicians friend as well. No discount for me, but still REALLY happy with the purchase.

25. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

I have to get deals otherwise I don't buy stuff. It's in my DNA.

Meanwhile, I was able to pass the Marantz table on to a local audio repair shop for a tiny profit.

andybeau and MusicNBeer like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.