Technics has a new entry-level turntable, the SL-100C

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by JackG, Apr 21, 2021.

1. aunitedlemon

aunitedlemon Unity is in the pith.

The VTA lock is there.

patient_ot likes this.
  2. JackG

JackG Forum Resident Thread Starter

I see the VTA lock (you can see the word "Lock") between the counterweight and anti-skate knob.

McLover, nosliw and patient_ot like this.
  3. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani ~ Ghosts (2023 LP)

It says height adjust on the ring around the tonearm. The table looks identical to the 1500C to me.

4. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

Oh yeah. So Auto Lift would be the last question I guess.

5. aunitedlemon

The 1500C is all black. Buttons, tonearm, counter-weight, everything. Otherwise, I agree, it's very similar.
    My 1500C as comparison-[​IMG]

6. Davey

All the blurbs say it has auto lift.

patient_ot likes this.
  7. Davey

Well sure, there are all kinds of color combos possible :)

No pictures shown yet with a dustcover, but it would seem very strange if it wasn't identical to the 1500C sans preamp, so with a different back panel for the RCA connectors.

patient_ot likes this.
  8. aunitedlemon

Seems that perhaps Technics heard that many owners of the 1500C weren't using the pre or interested in the 2M Red... Nice! The 100C could be very good for Technics.
    Think they added auto-stop to the auto-lift?

Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
  9. Ringo

Ringo Forum Resident

Perhaps potential buyers as well...maybe I wasn't the only one put off of getting the 1500C from not wanting to pay for both a built in preamp and Ortofon Red that I'd never use. I really hope that the 100C is identical to the 1500c minus those 2 superfluous features. Instant buy if so, at an appropriate price in the US.

csgreene, fish, BGLeduc and 1 other person like this.
  10. Electric Warrior

Electric Warrior Senior Member

Looks nice. And they also added a silver SL1200MK7 to their lineup...

Aftermath likes this.
  11. aunitedlemon

I hear ya. Part of my attraction to the 1500C was not wanting the pitch slider or cue light I'd never use and the subjectively improved aesthetic w/o those features.

Pali Gap likes this.
  12. Nakamichi

Nakamichi The iceage is coming....

£800 is hardly "entry level" to us in the real world.

13. Pali Gap

Pali Gap Whiskey, mystics and men

I would really hope there's not much difference in materials if it only dropped $200 after losing the phono preamp and downgrading the stylus!

audiolistener likes this.
  14. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

It's a substantial amount of money. However, I'd wager most people around spend far more than that on their record collections.

15. Pali Gap

I can't believe this, I am literally a click away from ordering a SL-1210GR, now they've removed everything on the 1500C that I didn't like and dropped the price lol. I do prefer the improved build of the GR, but this SL100C is certainly worth considering at $700 less.

They've obviously listened to customer feedback, well done Technics!

16. Pali Gap

I think at $1000 it would have been more appropriate to include the Ortofon 2M Red (especially when they are already supplying them to Technics??)
    Not that I even want the Red, but t0 include a $39 stylus seems almost ridiculous.

astro70 likes this.
  17. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

I hope you're right. If true, it will give me an excuse to upgrade from my current Technics....the belt-drive SL-BD20.

Really should've re-introduce the P-mount cartridge system for plug-and-play simpleness.

Grant likes this.
  18. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Nothing ridiculous at all. The MK7 and all the other models besides the 1500C do not include any cartridge. The 2M Red sucks, flat out. The VM95 series is a great line of cartridges and they give someone a cheap stylus version to play some records out of the box with. The stylus can easily be upgraded several levels on this cartridge. If you want something else entirely, you can use the cheaper VM95C as a backup cartridge to play beater records and 7"singles.

19. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

They will eat Music Hall and Pro-ject lunch for everything over $1K. I have my thoughts about lower end Regas as well, but because there so many fans around here I will keep my mouth shut.

McLover and patient_ot like this.
  20. Claude M

Claude M Forum Resident

Why even include a cartridge at all? Let the dealer offer a few cartridges at a bundle price or not. Or maybe include an LP with the music of Malaysia instead?

21. JackG

JackG Forum Resident Thread Starter

Still, swap the stylus on that VM95C to the ML or SH (for the pipe n' slippers crowd ;) ) and you've got a really great cart.

Benzion, Paul K, dcarwin and 4 others like this.
  22. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Consider that this turntable will be also be sold outside of the usual audiophile/audiophool dealer channels. If a traditional dealer wants to offer an upgrade cart, they can. Nothing is stopping them.

If anyone doesn't like the included cartridge, then can use it as I said, give it away, or sell it. That's what folks have already been doing with the 1500C anyway.

McLover and Big Blue like this.
  23. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

If they can ramp up production and get the marketing out, they definitely will. Cue one dealer in the U.S. publishing more lies about DD decks in their catalog, since they aren't a Tech dealer.

McLover likes this.
  24. Jaytecx

Jaytecx Well-Known Member

I’ll have one of those thank you! ;-)

25. Pali Gap

Not everyone will agree the Red sucks 'flat out', but I agree the VM series is good for upgradeability. I would like to see the price at $900usd max, but I suppose it's better than the options yesterday.

dreamingtree1855 likes this.