Technics has a new entry-level turntable, the SL-100C

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by JackG, Apr 21, 2021.

1. Davey

Davey NP: Kraftwerk ~ Trans-Europe Express (1977)

There's at least four SL-100C users talking about it just on the last page or two, not sure where you are looking, but it would obviously be more popular on this board if available in the US.

McLover and Oelewapper like this.
  2. Pali Gap

Pali Gap Whiskey, mystics and men

3. aunitedlemon

aunitedlemon Unity is in the pith.

Really? Switching off the auto-lift changes the feel of the cue lever? I've never turned mine off. I like it too much.
    Y'all are nuts! The auto-lift is a blessing. If I get called away to deal with a kid (or who know's what else) I don't have to worry about my stylus grinding away in a runout groove if I can't get back right away. Auto-lift is indispensable in my house.
    Also, many thanks to the KAB damper. I can "flick" my cue lever and walk away while the stylus enjoys a feathery descent to the grooves. Not to mention the impressive sonic impact. Tidy!

4. KeithL

KeithL Forum Resident

Exactly. It works 99% of the time without premature lift. KAB damper improves tonearm handling, cueing action and sound quality.

aunitedlemon likes this.
  5. wellers73

wellers73 Forum Resident

Maybe they’re all busy listening to records? ;)

6. Pali Gap

This would be nice. Correct me if I'm wrong- shouldn't a properly functioning cue lever do this anyway? Aren't they designed to have a controlled descent onto the platter?

Wngnt90 likes this.
  7. Madison Mike

Madison Mike Forum Resident

It did make the descent more precise when off. And yes, the KAB damper is the icing on the cake. I have the luxury of not being called away from the table when playing records. :)

Joel S likes this.
  8. aunitedlemon

I think it depends on the viscosity of the damping fluid used in the arm lift mech. The thicker the fluid, the slower the descent. Too thin of a fluid and and it'll just drop as gravity see's fit. I imagine the damping fluid varies by turntable manufacturer and the inherit cueing/ arm lifter design.

patient_ot likes this.
  9. aunitedlemon

Do you have a minute to elaborate on this? What do you mean by "more precise"? Smoother action? More even actuation throughout the cue lever range of motion?

10. Electric Warrior

Electric Warrior Senior Member

A phone with a decent camera sure can make things easier.. I guess it's dead on now :D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

JoelWat, Davey, aunitedlemon and 4 others like this.
  11. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

Decent? Looks to me like a camera that’s “slightly” better than just decent! :agree:
    Very nice macros.

12. Electric Warrior

The light sure helps to make them look nice!
    It has a macro mode, too, but I didn't even use it as I'd've had to get much closer to the stylus. :D That would have made it more difficult to get a good angle and keep the phone still...

It sure takes much sharper images than my last phone, but that was to be expected with optical image stabilization.
    Looks like there is some noise reduction and artificial sharpening going on, too. I see some weird artefacts in the last image..

It's a mid range phone, so I guess more expensive models may do even better?

Oelewapper likes this.
  13. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Which phone are you using for your pics?

14. Electric Warrior

It's a Samsung Galaxy A52s 5G

15. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Oh, excellent results!

16. Madison Mike

Descent is more precise in the horizontal plane. Engaged it would skew a bit on its way down. Speed of descent slowed down just a tad when disengaged. KAB damper has slowed it down even more. Good listening session last night. The lack of noise from the deck, the rock-solid speed, and good tracking from the arm are just amazing at this price point.

aunitedlemon likes this.
  17. aunitedlemon

Wow, good observations. Now that you've described that action I can confirm that on mine, while the cartridge is descending, it does ever so slightly head back towards the edge of the LP. I've come to appreciate this action as useful when cueing to a specific track- i.e., if I overshoot the beginning of a song I can use the cue lever to lift and lower the cart again, w/o touching the tonearm by hand at all, and it'll skip back just a few seconds of track time on its' own. I never would have thought this was related to the auto-lift. Thanks for sharing. The next time I'm accessing the back of the 1500 I'll have to try switching off the auto-lift just to see if that does make a difference "in the horizontal plane" as you aptly noted.
    Cheers.

Madison Mike likes this.
  18. Mike70

Mike70 Forum Resident

Try setting the antiskating to 0, down the tonearm and check. Then do the same with max antiskating.

Why? Think about what the antiskating is for :)

After that, forget about the horizontal "movement" when you use the lift (the lift didn't power off the antiskating).

Madison Mike and aunitedlemon like this.
  19. Madison Mike

There is no drift on the descent after cueing with auto-lift disengaged, regardless if antiskate is zero or set to max. Did not check with auto-lift on, I don't even want to engage it again.

20. Electric Warrior

Now I ended up with one of these by accident. I tried to buy one without a logo from China and received one with a Technics print. It's heavier than the AT-HS1 (which is nearly 2g heavier than a Technics).

I got a used older Technics headshell as well and it's about 0.2g lighter than the current one. This still allows me to swap between the VM95ML and VM95C without having to adjust the tracking force.

All of these are a little different in height compared with the current Technics. I'd have to raise the tonearm height to get them parallel with the record. For the chinese fake headshell and the HS-1 I'd have to max it out. Not sure about the older Technics yet, but I think it's not that bad.. for the conical stylus it will be alright.

21. Electric Warrior

I was wrong! The height of the older Technics is alright. Making up for the slight weight eliminated any apparent difference in angle/required tonearm height. :)

Oelewapper likes this.
  22. Pali Gap

o_O

23. aunitedlemon

Yeah yeah, it's actually due to the anti-skate force pulling the arm back towards the outer edge, not the auto-lift. Palm to face. That's what I get for trying to be agreeable.

24. Pali Gap

Actually I misread what you said- I thought you were saying the needle 'skipped back' a few secs on its own lol...

25. TwiceFan

TwiceFan Forum Resident