Technics has a new entry-level turntable, the SL-100C

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by JackG, Apr 21, 2021.

1. Box Set

Box Set Living In The Material World

It's $1,382.12 on Amazon AU.

Shipped from Amazon UK.

2. Technocentral

Technocentral Forum Resident

With Japan a couple of thousand km nearer Australia than Britain you'd assume the prices will be cheaper there when it's available.

3. Box Set

I got a call back from Panasonic Australia. Their guy was unclear when SL-100C stock would be available here (in Melbourne) but said JB Hi-fi, Vinyl Revival and Discrepancy Records will stock it. He confirmed the price is $1,899.00. I rang JB but didn't find out anything more.

4. SpudOz

SpudOz Forum Resident

So it will be made available to other dealers, not just JB Hi-Fi. That makes sense. Wouldn't make any sense to put all of you eggs in one basket.

The pricing is also more in line of what I was expecting based on the US MSRP. That price on Amazon Australia's site is quite cheap and being shipped from the UK, it will be interesting to see whether Panasonic UK make a "request" to Amazon UK to cease shipping those products internationally.

5. Box Set

I'm not waiting to find out :)

6. T69

T69 Forum Resident

They're on sale here in Sweden for $800 (sek 9000) right now. Probably not selling so well?

7. Dischord

Dischord Well-Known Member

From what I can gather there is one dealer selling it for that price, of the ten or so that have it in their webshop.

Still not to bad of a deal if you are looking to buy one.

T69 likes this.
  8. Pmds55889397

Pmds55889397 Forum Resident

Ordinary retail price in Europe is around €900-950 for a 100C
    on level with a 1200 MK7.

Guess some delivery delays shortage could be due to Technics moved manufacture to Malaysia.
    For example the 12.000 pcs SL1200MK7Limited 50th anniversary are highly delayed - dealers seem not able to receive the orders very fast.

patient_ot likes this.
  9. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

Meh that happened back in April 2021.
    I don’t think that’s relevant anymore.
    Technics is just too slow… It seems they’re reluctant to scale up production for some unclear reason.
    Those were actually intended to be released in batches across second half of 2022 - not all at once.

10. Technocentral

If anyone is interested this is GBP 645 on Amazon. UK at the moment.

cnolanh likes this.
  11. KeithL

KeithL Forum Resident

GBP 616 at the moment.

12. Technocentral

Displays as gbp645 in Ireland probably calculated differently when outside the UK, but 616 a even greater price.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2022
  13. Davey

Davey NP: a.s.o. ~ a.s.o. (2023 LP)

Yea, looks like currently GBP 653.82 to the US, which is about $772 today (exchange rate has gone up a lot since last month, would've been around $700 if it was the same as early October) ...

Order Summary
    Items: GBP 560.72
    Postage & Packing: GBP 93.10
    Order Total: GBP 653.82

From amazon.de, current price is EUR 805.81 to the US, which is about $825 today.

Order Summary
    Items: EUR 686,84
    Postage & Packing: EUR 118,97
    Order Total: EUR 805,81

Contrast that with $999 + sales tax in the US, so anywhere from $1050 to $1100 right now, no sale prices listed, so potentially $300 cheaper to buy it from the UK right now with the sale price.

Aftermath, Dr. J. and Technocentral like this.
  14. Box Set

15. Dream On

Dream On Forum Resident

Premium Class SL-100C - Technics Canada

Don't think the page is live yet though because it doesn't seem to be accessible via the menu system.

In any case, got my order in a few days ago on Amazon.ca. Expected delivery between Dec 15 and Jan 4.

16. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

17. Dream On

Dream On Forum Resident

Yeah, I noticed that. Looks like the listing was up for only a few days. I guess they sold out of the units they had in this run. I paid $1,299. I was checking the site every day and grabbed one when I saw they were taking orders. I imagine that will happen again at some point.

brimuchmuze likes this.
  18. Dream On

Dream On Forum Resident

19. ChefBrunch

ChefBrunch Forum Resident

For that price and all the recent problems with technics, I'd be looking at a reloop turn x

Lenny99 likes this.
  20. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

What recent problems?

21. ChefBrunch

Tonearm lifter problems, headshell problems, wobbly Platter problems, bad service....technics fan boys seem to overlook what's going on but, its obvious to the rest of us...I'd get the mk or the 1200g...if technics...or I'd be looking at the other options

22. ngower

ngower Forum Resident

Bedsides the cart and preamp, are there any differences between the 100C and 1500C? And are there any appreciable component differences between those and the 1200GR? It’s down to the X1, P3 and these Technics for a table upgrade and I’m trying to discern if there were any other areas where they cut costs for the 100C/1500C

23. ChefBrunch

A lot of great tables in the $1500 price range if that's what your shooting for....Getting a technics IMO means saving for the 1200g, the rest are compromising, not the same since they moved the factory,and you might as well get a pioneer plx1000 or the reloop turn X .

24. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I think the problems are few and far between but get exaggerated on this forum. Just buy from a supplier who will make any problems right. There have been isolated problems with all models even before the move from Japan to Malaysia, especially 'wobbly' platters.

25. Dream On

Dream On Forum Resident

Exactly, most people are happy with their tables. Are they all fanboys who ignore the issues and simply put up with them?

Also, the G is $4K ($5k up here). I mean, come on. There may be less compromises but it's certainly not the value leader in their lineup. I guess I will find out pretty soon just how bad the fanboy cover up is.

azideam and Oelewapper like this.