Technics new SL-1200MK7 and SL-1500C*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by punkmusick, Jan 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I have read a description that cast the SL-1500C as SL-1200GR minus DJ features, rather than SL-1200mk7 minus DJ features. So perhaps the goal is sound quality closer to a GR for the 1500C? I would think that puts it between the mk7 and GR in price. I do remember noting the platter weighs more on the 1500C than on the mk7.

Plus, as someone else pointed out, the 1500C has some features of its own that the mk7 does not (cartridge and pre-amp included, auto-lift), so I don't see it as having less features, just different features. To me, it seems like the price differences among the line make sense, assuming real performance improves accordingly as they go up.

2. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

IMO, it's too early to say how the 1500 aligns against the GR. Although the specs for the GR look better. Going by pics, the motors look different also.
    Possibly the price will drop at intro time as the mk7 did, but at current pricing, the GR seems more attractive to me.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
    Big Blue likes this.
  3. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Wishful thinking, I'd say.
    Seems the platters are of same weight, only MK7 has no rubber mat, hence the 200 grams spec'd difference.

Big Blue likes this.
  4. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer Thread Starter

I believe it will happen, at around $1k it will be very attractive.

5. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

You may be too optimistic. IIRC, the C started at a higher announced price than the 7.
    $1200 might be the best one can hope for?

Big Blue and Cyclone Ranger like this.
  6. I forgot about the pre-amp. That’s not really a feature for me as I would use an outboard one anyway.

Kamaaina1 and Big Blue like this.
  7. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

It may be wishful thinking. It wasn't clear to me when I read that description how the person writing it came to that inclusion. And you could be right about the platter weights. I didn't realize the MK7 didn't have a mat.

8. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

It is too early. We are all pretty much talking through speculations with limited information at this point. I think the desire for an affordable audiophile-ish direct drive is making some of us antsy. I just think the 1500C has to deliver at least a little better sound quality than the mk7 to justify a $200 price difference.

I would imagine the 1500C ends up being available for a couple hundred less than originally announced, like the mk7. I agree $1400 is too close to the price of just getting a GR.

Slick Willie and Aftermath like this.
  9. Kamaaina1

Kamaaina1 Kanikapila!

Would the MK7 be considered an upgrade from a Debut Carbon Esprit?

10. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

A lot of things would be an upgrade from that, IMHO.

11. Kamaaina1

Kamaaina1 Kanikapila!

What TT would you suggest? TT can be no deeper than 14”. Cabinet restrictions....

12. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Just reporting back that the Guitar Center coupon did not work on either the pre-order MK7 nor the 1210GR. Technics is not listed as one of the excluded manufacturers so maybe they will honor with a call.

patient_ot likes this.
  13. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Sorry, I have not memorized dimensions on every TT out there. Your cabinet is likely a big limiting factor. I would set up an inexpensive vertical rack instead so you don't have to be so restricted. Then figure out a budget and what features are important to you. Not enough info to make a good suggestion...

Robert C and displayname like this.
  14. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock

FWIW, the Mk7 is only 13.9" deep.

15. displayname

displayname Forum Resident

Most turntables beyond entry level are deeper than 14". Your cabinet restriction is limiting you to new entry level options under $1000. You should also note that even with most entry level models approaching 14", if you have the rack and TT directly up against the wall, this does not leave room for you to open the lid. You are either going to need to deal with some over hang, or need to get an larger rack. Most dedicated audio racks are 16" - 18" deep.

16. Jimi Floyd

Jimi Floyd Forum Resident

I presume it is deeper than that with lid open

Cyclone Ranger likes this.
  17. Kamaaina1

Kamaaina1 Kanikapila!

Yes, the MK7 will fit. I just have to deal with removing the dust cover vertically.. The cabinet is all have to work with... Always wanted a Technics, so I believe I'll pre-order the MK7.
    Thank you all for the input!!

18. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock

No prob. But, it isn't shipping 'til June, if ya didn't know already. :sigh:

Aftermath and displayname like this.
  19. luckybaer

luckybaer Thinks The Devil actually beat Johnny

I'm all about the MK7. My 1210GR is lonely, and I want (note that I didn't say need) another system.

MK7 (or I might slide the 1210GR in here)
    Decent MC/MM phonostage that lets me tweak settings on the FRONT PANEL, for goodness' sake!
    Ragnarok 2 (released in March)
    Polk Audio speakers (can't remember model number, but I already have them at home).

Budget: $4,500

20. displayname

displayname Forum Resident

MK7 is 13.9" deep, really squeezing it on there. At least it should look nice and tidy, but hopefully it won't be ask risk of getting bumped. Not a lot of room for forgiveness if something shifts slightly.

21. dahoo

dahoo Forum Resident

i tried my 15% code on 1210GR and it worked. But didn't place the order as i don't need it.
    not as attractive as the 20% coupon last time but if anyone want it, let me know.

Aftermath and displayname like this.
  22. Kamaaina1

Kamaaina1 Kanikapila!

"The Waiting is the Hardest part" :waiting::waiting::waiting:

Cyclone Ranger likes this.
  23. Kamaaina1

Kamaaina1 Kanikapila!

I've got some wiggle room. Had the AT-120LP crammed in there before with about 3/8" space front & back..

displayname likes this.
  24. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

MK7 lid is not hinged so no opened/closed dimensions.

25. Well, the Pro-Ject is certainly not a bad table. However, in terms of speed stability and eye and flutter, I am sure the mk7 will be noticeably audibly better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.