Technics new SL-1200MK7 and SL-1500C*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by punkmusick, Jan 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joel S

Joel S Forum Resident

Yup.

2. Joel S

Joel S Forum Resident

It's the platter. Those dots are expensive!

SamS likes this.
  3. AlphaHeX

AlphaHeX Member

I'm also confused. I'm not sure why mk7 was release when GR was already available.

HiFi Guy likes this.
  4. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

The mk7 is marketed to DJs and the GR to audiophiles. Different bodies, motors, feet, etc.

5. “Eye” and flutter—iPhone autocorrect fail! WOW and flutter.

Kamaaina1 likes this.
  6. Different features, too—reverse direction, adjustable torque, adjustable LED colors for the cueing light on the mk7, less expensive metalwork and plastic (still rugged, but not as delicate a finish that could be marred by club use (including transportation to and from)), etc.

7. 56GoldTop

56GoldTop Forum Resident

Because some people kept bitching about the price of the GR. So, Technics acquiesced and made a cheaper turntable for them. And, now those people will bitch about it being made in Malaysia or something else in regard to it. When people just want to complain... they will find something/anything to complain about. And now I'm off to the Merc dealership to complain that a new S-Class sedan isn't as cheap as a new Nissan Sentra. All speculation on my part.

:rolleyes:

8. Joel S

Joel S Forum Resident

I think they're complaining it's built in Malaysia, but costing as much as turntables built in the US and Europe.

9. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Not a valid comparison. Apples to apples or don't compare. Show me a direct drive made in the U.S. or Europe that costs $1K.

recstar24 and Robert C like this.
  10. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

Marketing a Technics direct drive at $999 only makes sense. If there is big market for clone turntables based on the old 1200 then why not tackle the same consumer and DJ market with the real thing (or as close to it as possible). They are setting their sights and going after the Hanpin factory.

patient_ot and Cyclone Ranger like this.
  11. classicrocker

classicrocker Life is good!

I work for an audio company and with all due respect, and not trying to be a dick, you have no clue what it costs to make these products. Based on my experience of what it costs to mfg audio products they could not come close to making the MK7 in the US for $1000 with the cost of Mfg here and still make the margin they need to make to make it worthwhile.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
  12. Joel S

Joel S Forum Resident

The list price for the MK7 is $1,200. The list price for the 1500C is $1,400. I just don't think there's a market for a made in Malaysia turntable at that price. If they drop the price, okay, but then they're going to be hit on margin, and meanwhile they're diluting brand equity. Cambridge Audio is testing the same waters with the Alva. We'll see how well it sells.

Again, a 1500C, made in Japan, without the extras (phono preamp and 2M red) or dj doodads for $1,600, would probably have been a big seller. They could have had two versions of the GR: DJ and non-DJ with shared parts, ramping up production and bringing down unit costs since they produce so few of the GR's now. They didn't go that route, choosing instead to effectively offshore and dilute their brand. They'll wind up having to compete on price, not quality. We'll see how it works out for them.

HiFi Guy and AlphaHeX like this.
  13. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock

That's what they were originally going with, but it's since been dropped to $999 USD.

Check out B&H, Guitar Center, etc., as well as some comments a Technics rep recently made.

It's a good change. I've come 'round to the notion that's what the Mk7 is worth in what has become a very competitive TT market.

14. classicrocker

classicrocker Life is good!

Joel Shapiro, You are still hung up on the Malaysia thing. If it is a quality product, which it most likely will be as it will be made in a Panasonic owned factory, no one other than a handful of audio geeks are going to care it is not made in Japan.

The quality system of the Mfg facility is more important then the country of Mfg. If a company has tight controls on the quality system it can be Mfg anywhere and be a good product.

The MK7 is not targeted towards audio geeks so there is no "dilution of the brand" as you keep claiming. The audio geeks can buy the G or GR if they want the bragging rights of a Made in Japan product.

Regarding your other theory on how they could make the new products in Japan. I repeat what I stated earlier, if you believe that then you have no clue about Mfg costs as it is not as simplistic as you claim.

Drewan77, recstar24 and patient_ot like this.
  15. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Yep. The higher-end Hanpin-made TTs already go up to $900. A real 1200 at $1K should take over that market easily in short order. Hanpin will likely stick with the sub $500 market after that, or focus on "lifestyle" crap like the Cambridge table listed above.

Cyclone Ranger and fmfxray373 like this.
  16. Joel S

Joel S Forum Resident

Who else but "audiophile geeks" will be buying a $1,400 turntable?

Technics IS made in Japan. By definition, they're diluting their brand by offshoring. If I were Panasonic and wanted to sell into the Hanpin market, I would've sold the MK7 under the Panasonic name (probably calling it something else to avoid confusion with the 1200 line) and left Technics out of it completely. That way, if it sucks, Technics can always say it wasn't them. Meanwhile, I'd have made a beefed-up 1500C in Japan under the Technics logo. That way, everybody's happy: DJs get a less expensive "Technics," audiophiles get a Technics for home use under $2,000, and Technics gets to keep their brand name pristine.

As for quality, more than one reviewer has already commented on the cheap feel of the new Technics tables.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
    VinylSoul likes this.
  17. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

What confusion? Who is confused? It IS a 1200! And will wipe the Hanpin market.
    They get it THIS way, without the quotes.
    That's the GR already.

But I can understand the frustration caused by MK7 not being a GR for $999. What did you/we expected? It can't be, obviously and unfortunately.

Cyclone Ranger likes this.
  18. Joel S

Joel S Forum Resident

You're confusing me with someone else. I never expected a GR for $999. Like others, I was reacting to the high list price that was first reported. If they want to sell a cheapened product, that's their business. If it's a solid turntable and DJs love it, fine. My disappointment is that they didn't address the audiophile market by offering a true, made in Japan Technics for home use under $2,000. The 1500C should have been that product. Instead, they decided to cheapen it and sell it for less than I think it could've sold for if made in Japan with higher quality. I've waited years for Technics to make that product. They didn't.

19. Drewan77

Drewan77 Forum Resident

Er, you mean like Apple with iPhones made in China?

Is it just possible that these major corporations know slightly more about market research, Mfg, QC etc than we do?

20. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

You are in fact doing that by lamenting on the (not yet seen) quality of MK7/C. They are the next stop below the GR.
    That's the GR. 1500c is another home use offering, a level below GR. If they didn't cheapen it it would have remained a GR. That's why I say you want a GR for the price of MK7/1500C.

Gabe Walters and Aftermath like this.
  21. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

So Malaysians working under the direct supervision of Panasonic are incapable of assembling a Technics turntable? Sounds pretty insulting to me.
    My trusty Honda Civic was put together in Indiana. My Civic doesn't seem diluted since it has 170k miles on it.

22. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock

At $1199 USD, I had some minor doubts about the Mk7 being successful/popular upon release. At $999, I have none. It'll be a hit.

The 'Made in Malaysia' thing alone won't derail it. Nobody will care, unless the new decks come out with lots of reliability issues.

Basically it's a 'put up or shut up' challenge for Panasonic/Technics' Malaysia strategy and quality control. Odds are they'll pass the test.

23. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer Thread Starter

They did "address the audiophile market by offering a true, made In Japan Technics for home use under $2,000".

They did it less than two years ago.

They named those models SL-1200GR (silver) and SL-1210GR (black).

Those turntables are very good, you should check them out. They're still in production, although a bit difficult to buy due to too much demand.

24. Joel S

Joel S Forum Resident

I have checked them out, and they are very good (from what I read). Problem is, I don't like the look. It's built for DJs and not the look I want. The 1500C looks far better in a home environment, in my opinion. It's just a cosmetic issue, but for some customers like me, it's an important one.

Lucca90 likes this.
  25. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer Thread Starter

This is false information in a public forum. Revise Technics marketing material and the recent history on how the GR was built and you'll notice your mistake.

Robert C, Drewan77 and classicrocker like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.