Technics new SL-1200MK7 and SL-1500C*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by punkmusick, Jan 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

you can swap the LED bulb. I don't like blue either. All the cheap gear out of China kinda killed blue for me - they over-blinged the blue lights. And the blue spectrum is just overly bright, IMO. I don't like blue LEDs glaring at me.

Eigenvector likes this.
  2. Drewan77

Drewan77 Forum Resident

That lighting on any hifi gear or a car dashboard display makes me think "Amsterdam-sleazy". Very happy my G has blue LEDs.

bever70, punkmusick and classicrocker like this.
  3. Drewan77

Drewan77 Forum Resident

This is how the system looks right now & how I like it, SL1200G at the top

[​IMG]

Aftermath, nosliw, recstar24 and 2 others like this.
  4. MusicNBeer

MusicNBeer Forum Resident

I almost see Orion's belt.

groovelocked, 33na3rd, rischa and 7 others like this.
  5. Drewan77

Drewan77 Forum Resident

I don't rely on belt, that's direct drive...

blind_melon1, 33na3rd and rischa like this.
  6. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock

'Audio After Dark'. :)

7. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

Originally, I was thinking of buying a Technics SL-1200GR after I get back my tax refund. But now, I am crossing my fingers for a lower-priced version of the Technics SL-1200.

8. Cyclone Ranger

Hope it happens on Monday.

Another benefit, if it does - may drive down prices on used 1200mk2/3D/5s as well.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
  9. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

I'm guessing virtually everyone thinks the DJ Technics TT will be priced in the arena of the Pioneer, but why? If the Technics is really better, and if Technics sales of the GR are really great as claimed, I'd expect the DJ version to sell for about the same price as the GR but simply have different feet and perhaps have a pitch control with a greater range.

displayname, punkmusick and bever70 like this.
  10. Cyclone Ranger

Yup, and you could very easily be right.

But, that wouldn't be as much fun as a lower-cost 1200. :)

11. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

The price at discontinuance was inflated.

I paid $375 shipped for a brand new SL-1200MK2 maybe two or three years before they were discontinued.

Ghostworld, Aftermath and punkmusick like this.
  12. action pact

I have the perfect soundtrack for you...

Drewan77 and punkmusick like this.
  13. Kostas

Kostas Forum Resident

First time I held a MK II I realized the quality of the table, it makes Rega 1,2 and 3 look and feel ancient in comparison. Εven the MK II is a very good turntable to last a lifetime and support quality cartridges, I'm sure the newer offerings are even better.

BTW...Unlike many of you I prefer blue lights on components, red reminds me of 70's & 80's HiFi, blue means new & evolved to me even though color makes no difference in the quality of a table or anything else.

14. action pact

Yeah? :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. gumsrave

gumsrave Forum Resident

I thought the 'x2' button above the pitch slider was a new feature for the G and GR?

If I'm right about that, this picture shows a turntable with all the vintage design features you listed plus the new pitch x2 button. A new turntable!

The combination of old and new also fits with the tag line from the promo video: 'Upholding a legacy. Creating a new standard.'

punkmusick and Aftermath like this.
  16. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

The location of that feature was new. The SL1200 M5G also had the x2 button, but it was below the slider.

Technics SL 1200 MK5G 1210 M5G Grandmaster Pro DJ Turntable | eBay

punkmusick likes this.
  17. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

Like the blue lights too- updated to the modern "LED" era. Nice to know they will last a lifetime.

punkmusick likes this.
  18. luckybaer

luckybaer Thinks The Devil actually beat Johnny

I like the blue light. I have to admit that I'd probably like the red light, too. My components:

Technics SL-1210GR: Blue
    PS Audio New Wave Phono Converter: Blue
    Marantz CD5003 (display: Blue; power indicator: Red)
    Schiit Gungnir MB: Bright White (at least I don't think it has any blue)
    AURALiC Taurus MkII: Red
    Onkyo TX-8555: (display: Blue; power indicator: Red)

displayname and Sterling1 like this.
  19. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

I hate green leds :wantsome:!

20. displayname

displayname Forum Resident

I wouldn't be shocked if they price these at the same price at the GR depending on what they do with it, but then again the DJ market is generally viewed as being purchased in pairs. $2,000 is a much more digestible and cleaner price than $3,400.
    It also creates the ability to build a vinyl DJ set up with a mixer that's price competitive to digital scratch/mix combos.
    Also look at the DJ market. Guitar Center has been the main place to get the 1210 GR in the US, and I'd expect them to be a major partner in selling these.
    Currently the 1210GR is the highest end DJ table they sell. Next up is VL12 at $900, and PLX and a few others at $700.
    To make a splash in the DJ space, I think the pricing needs to go down, not up. $1000 still keeps them in the retail premium class, but more accessible than the GR for the DJ market.

Also consider the modern DJ creation world. Even when spinning and scratching, it's often still being worked into a digital production. If this is going to be a DJ focused table, they have areas to cut costs AND appeal to that market.
    It will probably still have excellent sound competing directly with VL12 and PLX, but it shouldn't need to be on par with the 1200gr.

21. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

Interestingly enough, B&H, as well as Guitar Center are both selling GR's from their DJ sections. I also understand that B&H does not buy direct from Panasonic but from a distributor. From this I gather, boutique audio shops, which are named by Technics as their authorized dealers, must be somewhat miffed at being undercut on a product that is supposed to sell at MSRP from all. I suspect, that B&H and Guitar Center will be shut off by the GR distributors when this new DJ unit appears, least the distributors get cut off by Technics. And, thereafter, I also suspect that the Technics sold by B&H and Guitar Center will be the DJ model only, which they will get from said distributors. In other words, right now Technics wants to move the GR, without loosing authorized dealers who give the brand creds but do not have the online and catalog sales expertise to sell Technics as do B&H and Guitar Center.

displayname likes this.
  22. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani ~ Ghosts (2023 LP)

B&H and Guitar Center both sell the 1210GR at full price. I'm sure they will probably wheel and deal a bit on that, but so will any dealer.

Sterling1 likes this.
  23. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

I got my unit tax free and free shipping. That was worth $150 dollars in savings. As I understand it Guitar Center had the GR on sale for almost $200 off. I called many authorized dealers, even thought about picking one up when I was down in Miami FL recently. None, had a deal, none even offered free shipping or a discount for pick-up at the store.

24. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani ~ Ghosts (2023 LP)

I'm not quite sure your point or how a sale undercuts other dealers, they all have sales, that's how they get customers in, and they both list it on their sites at full price, and that's probably close to what most people pay, but hardly anyone pays MSRP for anything these days.

25. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer Thread Starter

I think the same.

displayname and Sterling1 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.