Technics new SL-1200MK7 and SL-1500C*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by punkmusick, Jan 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

So does the 1500C amount to a GR without the DJ bits / does it sound as good? Nice to know you can disable the auto. Lack of arm damping does concern me. The Pioneer PLX 1000 has some.

2. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer Thread Starter

I can stop the lever in the middle of descent in the GR.

zombiemodernist and Big Blue like this.
  3. sniperfox

sniperfox Well-Known Member

For me, the sound is as good as on the GR. Au, minus the platter turns straight. I think the reason we can not stop the arm in the descent is related to the automatic winding of the arm. After that, this is not a big problem.

On my thorens, it's like that too. After, for the MK7, I'll tell you if it's the same or not.

punkmusick likes this.
  4. sniperfox

The MK7 a a big default... the cover dust...The cover dust is not attached at the turntable...

I do not understand that fasteners are not provided or optional. There is not even behind the mounting plate to place hinges. It's completely abused by Technics.

I know it's a platinum for Dj but still ... it's about ties that cost nothing ..

5. punkmusick

PLX-1000 which is aimed at DJs too doesn't have hinges.

6. classicrocker

classicrocker Life is good!

Anytime you add a component to a product it costs something. Audio companies always struggle to build a product that is cost competitive so based on the intended market for the MK7 they determined that hinges were not a feature DJ's cared about so it was a cost saving for Technics which allowed them to keep the cost at what they hope is an attractive price.

7. U-96

U-96 Active Member

What about the rest? How is the build quality?

8. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

It was warned many times here.
    $45.95 precisely, at KAB.

Yeah, too bad hinges are not optional, as it was the case with mk5, but they had to do a favor to the 1500C and the GR and also to dj's who always ditch the lid.

9. sniperfox

2 pieces and 4 screws, it is not that which would increase the price.
    I was able to preorder for 799 euros but the base price of 999 euros is far from attractive

10. sniperfox

For the SL 1500C, I am very happy now. As I said, you have to get in the habit of raising your arm upwards to the maximum (if use manually), otherwise it tends to go down. By lowering it manually, the arm lift is easily lowered.

You can see that at 9:13

Tested too the preamp, its good, normal but not excptionnal... i use personnaly Phono.

This preamp could be useful later

This SL 1500 C silver is very Beautifull

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  11. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

It seems like a design decision more than a cost decision. DJs usually ditch the cover and may find hinges get in the way (I am making a presumption, I don’t really know what matters to DJs). The Pioneer tables the mk7 is meant to compete with lack hinges. It really seems to me Technics is aiming the mk7 at DJs and the 1500C at home users. They figure they are giving you options that are hinged, along with one option that is not.

12. punkmusick

It not only seems to you, it is being marketed like that by Technics themselves since the beginning.

zombiemodernist and Big Blue like this.
  13. punkmusick

Platter is very similar to the GR, only difference I can see is the color (and dots of course).

14. PB Point

PB Point Forum Resident

Well, I’m glad I didn’t wait until the Sl 1500c came out to pick up some vintage Technics.

The silver platter without the strobe is sorta a let down for me.

I bet a bunch of people will hit the stop button and get freaked out with the sound of a train coming rumbling to a stop on their records.

15. classicrocker

classicrocker Life is good!

I work for a consumer audio company sniper and trust me when I tell you the cost of 2 hinges and associated hardware is not insignificant for a product that most likely is already cost challenged for Technics to get to the desired profit markup for the product quality they are looking to provide.

Also, there is an added cost involved in the molding of the cover, the cost of the molding tool, or drilling for the hinges, like labor, that is more expensive than a cover without hinges. There is overhead in procuring the parts and keeping extra inventory. There are many associated costs above and beyond just the cost of the hinges and hardware.

These are not boutique turntables where the Mfg can eat these types of cost. Companies that make consumer electronics need to make a fixed profit on each product so they are always looking for ways to save even pennies. I don't want to bore people with the minutia but it is not a simple as you would like to believe.

Besides the MK7 is aimed a the DJ market and since DJ's don't care about dust covers it makes sense Technics would not provide a hinge option that cost them money with little chance of return on investment (ROI). Now if Technics gets a certain threshold of sales to buyers other than DJ's who ask for a hinged cover then they might offer an option but until then it all comes down to ROI.

patient_ot, Drewan77, SpudOz and 3 others like this.
  16. Upstateaudio

Upstateaudio Senior Member

The Platter of the 1200GR is about a pound heavier. Speed should be steadier due to the greater inertia of the platter. At least theoretically. I have not heard the 1200 MK. 7 so I cannot say if this would make a difference to me.

17. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

A let down? Pictures and videos of the SL-1500C have been available for months, inlcuding many posts on this thread.

I actually liked the idea of a strobe-less option with no dots. I’m not sure how anybody would not be able to tell that the record itself is coming to a stop without the strobe dots (also not sure I understand how it’s possible to accidentally hit the stop button).

18. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Just curious, can both set of outputs remain active?
    Or is a one or the other configuration.

19. Kyle Mooney

Kyle Mooney Kwisatz Haderach

I see in the video above that the SL1500 C has line out as well as phone out. Why is that? Does that mean the TT has an internal preamp when using the line out?

20. The Dragon

The Dragon Forum Resident

Yes. The SL-1500C has a built-in MM phono preamp.

Kyle Mooney likes this.
  21. PB Point

PB Point Forum Resident

I get it. Not everyone is into everything. I’m sure they’ve researched this out to focus groups left and right...I’m obviously in the minority here... for me, their 1600 etc. line from the 80’s is the Bee’s Knees...and still happy as a lark with it. Not everyone likes French food.

This was the first real video I’ve seen of it in action. Haven’t followed all these pages.

22. sniperfox

No tested but apparently, one not the other

Slick Willie likes this.
  23. sniperfox

Having had the GR before, (two copies returned in store) the only thing that I can assure is that the platter of this SL 1500 turns here completely right contrary to the GR, or I was not an isolated case. thing for the G, or we often see climbs and descents in the platter. For me, it was inadmissible. After actually, it looks like two drops of water at the GR without DJ options. I also ordered the MK7 because I needed two decks and I did not want to buy the same two models but I wonder if I will not regret it because the cover does does not attach .. I remain super maniacal. After seeing the 799 euros, I will not do the difficult, then there is surely a way to hold the cover dust by a system .. need to think about it.

finally the reflection that I made myself with the SL 1500. It is that Tehcnics should have released it, without preamp, without stylus and without arms. He could still have lowered the price of turntable.

I will put a Nagoaka M110 above. I do not use the preamp or the automatic arm reading

24. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Curious, do you play records with the dust cover on? I think if you get used to just setting it aside while you are playing records, you may actually come to appreicate that there are no hinges?

25. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

OK, sorry, when you said it was a “let down” that made me think you had been anticipating the release of the SL-1500C. I was just not understanding how one could be aware it was coming out but not have seen the information that has been proliferated.

And yes, there are Technics turntables from the ‘80s I probably would have preferred to what they are currently producing. Truth be told, I went with a 1210GR, and I love its performance and build quality, but its style is still growing on me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.