Technics new SL-1200MK7 and SL-1500C*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by punkmusick, Jan 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andy Saunders

Andy Saunders Always a pleasure never a chore

Has anyone done a comparison between the GR and the C? Would be fun to see the outcome.:)

2. U-96

U-96 Active Member

Sniperfox- you seem to be one of the first to have the Mk7. When you set it up, please let us know, besides the dust cover, what is your first impression. Thanks

Kamaaina1 likes this.
  3. sniperfox

sniperfox Well-Known Member

surely because in the long run, it must be annoying to take and put back the dust cover.

zombiemodernist likes this.
  4. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I ask because I usually take the dust cover off of my GR, and while I wouldn’t say it’s annoying, I could see it being just a little bit easier without the hinges.

5. zombiemodernist

zombiemodernist Forum Resident

Yeah, and the classic Technics style hinges are even easier to remove and replace IMO because the hinges stay rigid when extended so it's easier to replace than the plastic tabs. Better user experience for both types.

6. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

To soothe the discomfort see it this way: the $20000 SL-1000R also has a hingeless dust cover.

7. sniperfox

My MK7 arrives by mail Monday. I will tell you in the week my feeling on it but also comparing it to the SL 1500.

8. sniperfox

It is important to have a large space nearby to put the cover dust.

9. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Yeah, where to stash the dustcover during play was something I had to figure out. Very slightly inconvenient, but since I prefer playing without the dustcover on, the alternative is to just never put it on (which isn’t a great option in my home).

10. Kamaaina1

Kamaaina1 Kanikapila!

Ship-date for my MK7 from Guitar Center is now pushed back to June 30. Third delay now.... :thumbsdow

patient_ot likes this.
  11. classicrocker

classicrocker Life is good!

They seem to have had the same issue with the 1210GR's not having stock after it was for sale after a few months. I must have gotten lucky and bought my 1210GR before they were backordered as I got it in a few days after ordering it online.

Wonder if it is because they can't make them fast enough or if it is a parts shortage issue? I know my company is having issues with parts availability.

I know the 1200G and 1200/1210GR are made in limited quantities by hand but would be curious how the MK7 is being made in Malaysia and how many they nake a day.

12. MemoInPR

MemoInPR Señor Memo

13. thetman

thetman Forum Resident

I ordered and received my 1200Gr last week. I was originally going to get the 1210- but was told ( value electronics) that they were backordered for a few weeks. so I went with 1200. I like the look of both so it really didn't matter to me.

patient_ot likes this.
  14. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident

Where are people buying these? Did a quick google search and came up empty. The new Technics tables seem to be hard to come by, unless it’s just me...

15. MemoInPR

MemoInPR Señor Memo

16. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

I wish the 1500 didn't come with a cart or pre amp maybe it could be $800 ?

Lucca90 and ranch 22b like this.
  17. The Dragon

The Dragon Forum Resident

Galen Carol Audio in Texas had stock last time I checked.

Slick Willie likes this.
  18. classicrocker

classicrocker Life is good!

That is optimistic as it probably cost Technics less than $100 to add the cartridge and preamp

zombiemodernist and Big Blue like this.
  19. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

classicrocker likes this.
  20. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident

21. zombiemodernist

zombiemodernist Forum Resident

Wow five stars for a non-British entry level turntable? lol.

Wish they would put these decks through more of an exhaustive test. I get that they’re starting with the base configuration as many purchasing this or the RP3 will want to use it as a plug and play, but I also wonder why they wouldn’t run them with other carts for those who wish to upgrade. All their wooly language around "leading edges" and what not is pretty useless, as even they acknowledge a good portion of the sound is coming from the cart. Good to hear the comments on the build quality at least.

22. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer Thread Starter

This review is not very useful for someone who wish to buy this turntable to upgrade the cartridge and integrate it in a high end system.

23. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

Still trying to get a feel for how much different the 1500 is from the GR. I really like the clean look. I wonder how much better it would be compared to my modded MkII. I am thinking the cost difference has more to do with the point of manufacture than the quality of the bit in the box.

I am actually doing less and less high end stuff and starting to enjoy simplicity over the ultimate sound quality.

recstar24 and classicrocker like this.
  24. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

I was hoping for that comparison too. WhatHiFi has reviewed the GR and the G, iirc. It should have been easy to throw in at least a few lines about how the 1500C compares.

keiron99, ranch 22b and BayouTiger like this.
  25. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

BTW, I noticed that B&H has the SL-1200mk7 at $999.99 for pre-order.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.