Technics new SL-1200MK7 and SL-1500C*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by punkmusick, Jan 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thetman

thetman Forum Resident

describes some differences

Lucca90 likes this.
  2. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

You can download an Operator's Manual for each turntable from Technics Web Site. These describe features and specifications specific and common to the turntables

BayouTiger likes this.
  3. classicrocker

classicrocker Life is good!

JMO, lab measurements are only so valuable in assessing the SQ of any audio product. For me I find it most helpful if a product is compared to it's peers in the same price range. the WHF review gives an opinion on SQ and a high level comparison with another TT in the price category. A detailed review that includes lab measurements, build quality observations, and a shootout with competitors and various cartridges is most valuable.

It would be interesting if someone did this for the GR vs. 1500C vs. MK7 to try to quantify the differences.

Maybe other HiFI mags will dig deeper in the coming months.

4. classicrocker

True, the review seems more aimed at the general consumer who wants something above entry level or doing an upgrade to their current old or entry level table but is not obsessive compulsive like the average audiophile.

5. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

That’s not a hands-on review.

zombiemodernist likes this.
  6. The Dragon

The Dragon Forum Resident

Well, let's compare what we know. The advantages of the new motor design from the GR are there, and that is hugely important. The areas I am a little concerned about are the arm, arm bearings and the chassis. Those to me are the unknowns. Currently, it is not known how the 1200GR/1500C arms compare. Are there differences in bearing quality/tolerances? If so, that could impact the SQ. Hopefully, these differences are minimal. Also, the chassis is lighter and probably does not control micro vibrations from the external evironment as well as the 1200GR. The dust cover is not as nice (clear instead of tinted), but that in and of itself will not have any impact to SQ. Technics had to save cost somewhere to keep the price down. Cheaper labor cost is not the whole story, although I am sure it is significant factor. Remember there are cartridge and preamp costs built-in to the cost of the 1500C that the GR does not have.

My opinion, and it is only an opinion, is that the 1500C will better the older 1200 performance easily as long as the new tonearm design is not compromised (which it shouldn't be). The improvements brought about with the new drive system are very significant and that is the main improvement that will better the old 1200s. The old arms were pretty good, especially with a KaB damper installed. We will have to wait and see if the compromises made to the plinth/chassis are performance limiting. Curiosity will eventually push me to get one for myself - and probably a 1200mk7 too.

BayouTiger likes this.
  7. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident

Other than the onboard phono preamp, what's the major difference between the 1500 and mk7? Same drive and arms?

8. Kamaaina1

Kamaaina1 Kanikapila!

9. sniperfox

sniperfox Well-Known Member

I have a little problem with mine. I do not know if it's the same with all 1500C models, but by raising the arm manually at the top, it tends to go down by itself after a few seconds. when it is reassembled automatically, there is no problem because it has a spring but when you do it manually it does not know how to stay long. You have to see if I'm the only one to have this or not, otherwise I would ask for an exchange. For the MK7, I received yesterday, very well built too. The arm was the same but on this model completely manual, it is well height (thankfully). I'm going to return it because the platter still has this light wooble and in addition, the lack of hinge for the platter poses me a big problem.

10. U-96

U-96 Active Member

You had a GR too, right? How does the build quality of the Mk7 feel compared to the GR?

11. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

Is the MK7 any more or less a DJ table than say an MK5 ?

12. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

It certainly has more up to date DJ features. Their marketing portrays it as a DJ specific table. I am not sure the original ables were ever portrayed as DJ specific decks.

13. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

I guess that's my point advertising aside doesn't seem any different to me unless I'm missing something.

14. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer Thread Starter

Reverse play, detachable cables, two color lights (blue or red).

Opeth likes this.
  15. U-96

U-96 Active Member

And 78 rpm and +/- 16% pitch

Opeth and punkmusick like this.
  16. The Dragon

I do not understand the comment "raising the arm manually at the top, it tends to go down by itself after a few seconds". Also "when it is reassembled automatically, there is no problem because it has a spring but when you do it manually it does not know how to stay long". These statements make no sense. Is this an issue with the cueing function? If you move the cueing lever to the "up" position, it should stay there until you move the lever to the "down" or "play" position. If the tonearm moves down on it's own, without the user moving the lever down, this is an issue. Whether it is a defect, or a design flaw is unknown at this point. Can you please confirm this is the issue you are describing on the 1500C?

Your MK7 comments are also confusing. You said "very well built too". Then you say you "I'm going to return it because the platter still has this light wooble". I assume you meant the platter is not uniform and wobbles. This is not good news. These are exactly the kinds of issues I was hoping would not surface with these less expensive models. Maybe these are first run issues. Maybe not. Only time will tell. Dot uniformity on the new 1200G and GR platters is commonly reported as an issue. There have been reports of platter uniformity on the 1200G as well. None of my SL-1200s from the past had these issues.

I think you did the right thing to return these turntables. Technics customer service for the new turntables have been documented over and over again in several forums as being a problem. Returns are the only way of effectively dealing with them. This is unfortunate. In the age of social media, customer service is important. And yes, I have recent experience dealing with Technics customer service. But, that is a subject for another thread...

17. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

I was considering the 1500C, but it seems that (as usual) the one in the middle is the best bang for my buck, so I just pulled the trigger on a GR.

OldSoul, Robert C, Sterling1 and 7 others like this.
  18. Upstateaudio

Upstateaudio Senior Member

You will love it. I love mine.

classicrocker and BayouTiger like this.
  19. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

The 1500c is £899 over here, including the built in phono stage and a pre-fitted Ortofon Red cart.

20. sniperfox

I returned the MK7 for a slight wobble, very light but present. Regarding the SL 1500, I kept it (the time of 15 days is anyway past). It works well, apart from this lift problem. The arm goes down alone when we hold it up. Here is a video. Currently, I do not know if I'm the only one to have that. For a person who uses the arm raising function, this will not really be a problem because with the spring, the arm stays up. But in manual use, the arm descent in a second bearing and can not be wedged at the top. I do not have a wobble on my SL 1500 c, it is perfectly right but I have already seen one or two videos of people with this problem on youtube. (That's why I do not want to make an exchange...) Anyway, if you want one, you have to test it completely in the store. For the platters, I think most will have wobbles. One thing is certain and clear today. Technics is no longer able to build perfect turntables. This is my fourth Technics purchase this year, and none are perfect.

Hoping that my problem on the SL 1500 C is not generalized ...

Vidéo Link

sl1500 c.mp4

The solution to use manually is to mount the lift up so that when the arm redescent in the second step I completely lower the arm to touch the disc

The Dragon likes this.
  21. classicrocker

Same here, my 1210GR has been flawless with a flat platter

22. The Dragon

Thanks very much for posting that video. I don't like the looks of that at all. Does the auto-lift function work as advertised?

OldSoul likes this.
  23. sniperfox

yes auto lift works great...just manuel problem...but its strange because for example, if I wait an hour and reuse. he can get high but if I try again, it's over. After, I will not start contacting the technical department. I will recommend another one and send back this first model within the 15 day retraction period ...

The Dragon likes this.
  24. sniperfox

Anyway, it is absolutely necessary to try to buy this turntable in a shop or one can test it before.

The Dragon likes this.
  25. The Dragon

I agree that it would be wise to open it up in the store and check it out before leaving with it. This is a disappointing starting point for the new Technics tables.

OldSoul likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.