Technics new SL-1200MK7 and SL-1500C*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by punkmusick, Jan 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Upstateaudio

Upstateaudio Senior Member

The much more expensive and heavy SL1200G at $4K! I just noticed you are in Montenegro, price may be different, check Technics website. Also share with us your system, if your components are not equally high end or will not be, you are spending too much money for your needs:).

2. MaximXXL

MaximXXL Member

One rotor is enough for me, as on GR. And the same price.

So, today we can order a lot of fully customiz products, for example, PС. Why doesn't Technics make such an offer? The ability to order on the Technics website with full customization (engine, dish, tonearm, external PSU, build-in phono stage, cartridge, etc.). If Technics does this today, it will take over the market like many years ago. IMHO.

P.S. My system: Thorens TD 203 + ZYX R100 Fuji FX + MCL Rothwell (step up transformer) + EAR834P + Magnat RV3 + B&W SM603 + REL T5i
    I know what I need (like no one else), but each has its own special requirements. Therefore, a standard product cannot give full satisfaction. Never.

3. Upstateaudio

Upstateaudio Senior Member

I think it is a production volume issue. Computers, ipods etc are built on a much higher volume, hence it is relatively cheap to for the manufacturer to build like this. As it is with autos. Inspite of the great viny l revival, TTs are still a relatively low volume product. Technics TTs are a relatively low volume product, that type of customization would drive the costs way up. By the way, I have a GR, from what I understand my system and my dealer advised me, I do not need the Magnesium tonearm and the other refinements that the G has.

My system:Technics 1200GR with Dynavector 20xl, simaudio i5, simaudio lp5.3, emotiva erc3 cd player, audioengine be1 streamer, musical fidelity v90dac, Totem Hawk Speakers, Totem kin subwoofer.

nosliw likes this.
  4. MaximXXL

MaximXXL Member

And what did you expect from a seller who does not have the product you need? :)
    We see that many players offer full customization when ordering a turntable. Instead, the Technique asks us riddles: how do models with different article numbers differ?
    Two main lines of table design (DJ / Non-DJ) and the possibility of maximum customization when placing an order.
    But we have what we have.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
  5. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

The differences between models are well explained on the Technics website. People interested in customization can purchase from a modding operation, send out their new turntable for that kind of thing, or order parts and self-install. It is not realistic to expect "full customization" from the manufacturer on a product like this. These are not "built to order" products but made in a factory on an assembly line.

nosliw likes this.
  6. MaximXXL

MaximXXL Member

Upstadeaudio says that customization is impossible, because the volume of production is too small. Pattient_ot says that customization is impossible, because the volume of production is too large. Are there any other reasons not to do what the buyer wants?:)

7. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Do you have any idea how manufacturing at scale works? If every Technics turntable was built to order with an endless amount of options it would take forever for each unit to move through the production line. That would drive up costs considerably and make the product a non-starter.

Even small scale operations have to limit their menu of options if they want to maximize efficiency. Maximizing efficiency keeps manufacturing costs down which in turn keep retail prices down (usually, some exceptions).

I'll give you two examples.

1) I have a piece of equipment here from a small British manufacturer. They offer different models but an endless menu of customization is not possible. A very small number of options are available depending on the product.

2) I have a friend that operates a computer business covering many facets from ransomware removal and data recovery, custom PCs, to networking for businesses, etc. He can theoretically build any PC the customer wants but isn't going to spend hours and hours on one low-end PC. He will limit the menu of options for the customer because the customer has a budget and his time is expensive. If a customer wants to pay $10K for a PC (someone did) then the menu of options expands considerably and he will spend far more time on it.

nosliw likes this.
  8. MaximXXL

MaximXXL Member

I do not fantasize - I know!) You have wasted your time in vain.
    Your new reason is the low cost of the product. I do not agree with this either - with customization, the price of the product has a wide corridor.
    In any case, our conversation doesn’t change anything, does it?

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
  9. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

If you are expecting Saville Row service from an assembly line manufacturer of mass produced products you are truly deluded and living in a fantasy world.

Don't like the way a product is configured off the shelf? Either do not buy it or buy it, then get it customized to your liking.

The vast majority of buyers of these products are satisfied with how these products come off the shelf or with third party modifications that are currently available. To date you are the only person I have seen whine about a lack of factory options on these products.

10. MaximXXL

MaximXXL Member

Your Technics ad is: "Take what they offer or **** off!" Well - I'll dump.

11. IRG

IRG Forum Resident

You know the lowly Uturn has a decent amount of customization options. Now maybe this is simple, the menu is not complicated. But you can:
    • Order the MDF plinth in about 6 different colors; or two different wood plinths at an increased price
    • Phono preamp, or none
    • cue lever or none
    • MDF platter or acrylic
    • 5 different cartridges
    Now I do wish they would expand a bit, mostly offer higher end tonearms, something beyond the Blue2M cart.

They could offer a version 2, that would include better motor and automatic speed control, thicker plinth and platter. But it would cost more obviously, and be more complicated for the ordering system. But at least for a budget TT, they do give you options to make it a bit more customizable. Customer service is fantastic btw.

12. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Uturn makes turntables to order. It's a small company, not a major corporation like Panasonic. Their manufacturing processes and their turntables are very primitive compared to something like a Technics. They have to offer different colors because they are going for a demographic that cares about that stuff. Technics has always been very utilitarian. Yet, if someone wants a wacky color they can send a 1200 off for a vinyl wrap over the top plate if having say, a metallic purple turntable with sparkles is really that important to you.

13. IRG

IRG Forum Resident

I'm aware of all of that, thanks. Except for the purple vinyl wrap with sparkles. That was new to me.

14. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

That's primarily because a desktop PC is a collection of multiple end-user products from various companies that are standardized up to a certain point (like the PSU, CPU, GPU, RAM, MoBo, case, fans, coolers).
    A turntable is generally designed to be 1 product, made and designed by 1 company, made of components that are not end-user products. As a user, you can't randomly buy a turntable motor or tonearm and expect it to fit your turntable.
    While with PCs this is not an issue, you can choose from various products because they're standardized, as long as it has the right formfactor and connectors.
    Just like connecting your turntable to your phono preamp, which has been standardized to RCA/DIN connectors and the range of loading resistance/capacitance has been standardized as well; same goes for connecting your PSU to your GPU for example (standardized connectors and power in Watts/rail).
    The complete PC is the equivalent of the complete sound system, while the components like PSU, CPU, GPU, RAM, etc... are the equivalent of audio system components like a turntable, phono preamp, poweramp, DAC, etc...

Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
  15. ea666

ea666 Active Member

I was undecided between the SL-1500C and the SL-1210GR as I was unable to experience the product first hand. I decided to go for the SL-1500C via mail order and was extremely disappointed by the build quality and finish of the turntable. The tone arm lift just didn't feel anything like my previous Technics which I sold many moons ago..... and the paint around the tone arm base looked like a smart repair on a car bumper.

Needless to say the SL-1500C has been sent back and being exchanged with the 1210GR.

bru87tr, Andy Saunders and bever70 like this.
  16. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

The "feel" of the cue lever on the 1500C is likely determined by the weight of the silicone fluid in the cue mechanism and the fact that it is spring loaded (due to the auto mechanism). So it's not going to "feel" the same as an old 1200.

17. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Building turntables is not like computers. How long do you think you would have to wait for a bespoke model to be built and shipped from Japan? Also the cost of the turntables would rise significantly.

18. ea666

ea666 Active Member

I was thinking that this may be the case to compensate for the auto return feature. Shame really as spec wise the 1500C ticked my requirements.

19. Starquest

Starquest ‎ ‎ ‎

A few years ago I checked out a 1200GR in a shop in San Diego. The lifter on that table didn't feel all that solid either, definitely not as solid as a 70s Technics table. They just don't make em like they used to, even when it costs an arm and a leg.

That's disappointing to hear about your 1500C. Hope you like your new table better.

I still think there's a market for a model that doesn't have the DJ-style 1200 pitch control, doesn't include a preamp or cartridge, but has solid build quality. The auto-lift is nice, but I'd prefer they put the expense into improving the build. That's one thing that really stands out with the 70s Technics tanks is that they're solid.

ea666 and Lucca90 like this.
  20. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

No offense but having handled many old 1200s over the years I can say this is basically ********. What I figured out is that most people don't have a clue how a cue mechanism works. It's usually a piston type mechanism and that is filled with silicone fluid. The viscosity of the fluid will determine how quickly or slowly the lever raises and lowers the arm. People seem to think because there is a lighter weight fluid in the mechanism, or because the fluid hasn't had time to harden and get gummed up over the years, that there is something wrong with the way the mechanism is built. Wrong.

bru87tr and Slick Willie like this.
  21. Starquest

Starquest ‎ ‎ ‎

I am well aware of the how the cue mechanism works, having disassembled the one on my SL-1500 at least twice.

It's not the speed of the rising and lowering of the arm in the 1200GR that I thought felt cheap -- it's that the lever itself and its connection, and the action felt cheap. It reminded me a lot of the AT-120.

Lucca90 likes this.
  22. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

It's nothing like an LP120, handled those too. Put some thicker fluid in the mechanism and people complaining would likely shut up.

The thin fluid in the mechanism does take some getting used to which I mentioned in my review. Just cued up an LP and no problems. Then again I simply learned to use a more gentle touch with the cue lever which is now second nature, instead of yanking on it like there is big rig packing grease in the mechanism.

Vorlon, bru87tr and Floyd Crazy like this.
  23. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

I don’t know how the SL-1200GR tonearm lift feels like, but on the 1200G it feels like an exact copy of the oldschool MK series.

Aftermath and Slick Willie like this.
  24. ea666

ea666 Active Member

Just had the 1210GR arrive and I also agree the lift still doesn't have the feel of the older models. With everything else in my opinion the build of the GR compared to the 1500C is so much better.

Didnt want to spend silly money on the G and GAE models due to the limited time I have to listen to records.

Very happy with the GR paired with a Ortofon 2M Blue PnP cartridge and headshell.

bru87tr likes this.
  25. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer Thread Starter

Come back again in three months and tell me if you still have problems with the lifter. I bet you won't.

bru87tr, todd141 and patient_ot like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.