Technics new SL-1200MK7 and SL-1500C*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by punkmusick, Jan 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DBMartin

DBMartin Forum Resident

Just curious, do people here have a strong preference for the MK7 or 1500C purely based on sound and build quality? I mean the price is pretty similar, and they're both built in Malaysia right? But are there clear quality or value differences based on personal experiences here?

2. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

My advice is to choose based on the features you want or need.

DBMartin, snorker, deniall83 and 2 others like this.
  3. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I’m not worried about the rig, I’m worried about my records! I would think you want it to go slower...

4. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

My assumption would be they sound basically the same, especially if you change the cartridge and bypass the preamp on the 1500c, but I don’t think I’ve seen a head-to-head comparison in a review. For me, it would come down to whether I wanted auto-lift and a more minimalist style, or a pitch fader and easier VTA adjustment.

DBMartin, Boltman92124 and patient_ot like this.
  5. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

I would miss the security blanket of the strobe on the platter with the 1500c as well, but that's a stupid reason I guess.

Big Blue likes this.
  6. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Depends what you need, I think. I guess I have become accustomed to seeing that visual confirmation when I start a record spinning, but I wouldn’t have known any different, had I waited for a 1500c instead of buying my GR.

7. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

The 1500c is nice looking. I think I like it better in silver. I wish the MK7 came in silver. Like the other poster, I am going to get a MK7 next. I've tweaked/modded my LP120 pretty nicely though. I was lucky to get a good one. No probs with bearings or anything else. It sounds good with the VM95ml and other carts. But I want a MK7.

Big Blue likes this.
  8. SpeedMorris

SpeedMorris Forum Resident

My hand is more accurate at hitting the groove for track 2-3-4-5 than the machine. There was this one time, though. I think I was using my son's Debut Carbon, with its stub of a finger lift and may have had a couple. Somehow I did a complete spaz and the arm flew into the air. Suite: Judy Blue Eyes now has a 72 second section where each revolution reveals a thud/pop.

9. deniall83

deniall83 Forum Resident

As someone who recenly bought a GR and was unsatisfied with the finish, I would say it's less to do with where the table is made and more to do with if you get a good one or not. I'm not sure if I'll try my luck on another GR or buy a MK7/1500C. The MK7 is $1599 here and the 1500C $1999 compared with $2750 for the GR. A significant cost difference, especially when comparing with the MK7. I'm going into active speakers so I'm thinking the 1500C might be a nice simple option to run from the phono straight into the speakers.

DBMartin likes this.
  10. Roycer

Roycer Forum Resident

Ok got the VM540ML yesterday and have been listening since, it is sooo much better than the 2m red,The 1500C has been doing good also the on off button is picky as I had seen on tube,the auto lift works ok but sometimes picks up before end of song even after I adjusted it(but only on a couple albums, built in phono is actually pretty good.For me its a keeper for a second TT easy to try new cartridges before mounting on my VPI.I tried with other phono amps listed in my profile and the rouge of course was the best..Im almost 67 and worked my life in industry mills ,crushers and lots of noise so my hearing isn't the greatest.As always best to listen for yourself not to me...But im happy with the sound...[​IMG]

Vorlon, bru87tr, AndyCC72 and 6 others like this.
  11. Roycer

Roycer Forum Resident

Oh and the VTA isn't that bad to adjust.

Big Blue likes this.
  12. deniall83

deniall83 Forum Resident

Looks great! I'd get the same cart myself. What's the problem with the on/off switch? Hadn't heard that before.

13. Roycer

Roycer Forum Resident

Thanx....You have to push it a few times to get it to turn off, not always but sometimes...start stop works perfect

RS2099 likes this.
  14. Stan94

Stan94 Senior Member

I've had a MK7 for 48 hours and it's fab. The Start/Stop and 33/45 buttons look a little cheap but they work. I'm using a rubber mat.

Mike70, punkmusick and Roycer like this.
  15. RS2099

RS2099 Forum Resident

Anyone knows the length or the RCA + ground cables included with the 1500C?

16. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

Sounds like Technics did a hidden update to solve the dead pitch spots on the MK7 last summer:

17. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

The dead pitch spots are on all the other new models also, as well as the M5G, AFAIK.

18. Oelewapper

Yes, my 1200G has those dead spots too and the M5G I had some years ago had it too.
    AFAIK, all Technics turntables with digital pitch have those dead spots.
    So those newer MK7 turntables would be the first with digital pitch that has no dead spots - if this is truly solved.

displayname and patient_ot like this.
  19. Rigoberto

Rigoberto Forum Resident

Seems odd that so many places (value electronics, crutchfield) don't offer the SL-1200MK7. That upcoming silver model looks pretty nice.

Anyone consider the Dual CS-518? I wonder if they are made in Germany. They come with a pretty decent cartridge pre-installed. And then there is the upcoming CS-618Q ... I think these Dual machines may be made in China!

Last edited: Aug 14, 2021
  20. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Hanpin, Taiwan. Supposedly under strict Dual specs, they say, but time will tell. Wouldn't bother when Technics is around.

Big Blue and Rigoberto like this.
  21. Oelewapper

I believe Dual went the same way as Sansui - it's just a brand name nowadays, nothing more.
    Probably just a customized Hanpin with the Dual label slapped onto it.

Edit:
    w/f seems fine, but no rumble spec is given for that Dual... It'll sound decent because it comes with a 2M Blue.
    Good choice of Dual to bundle the Blue with it, since the cartridge makes ~70% of the sound coming from the turntable and this one is much better than the 2M Red that's usually bundled with turntables.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2021
  22. Rigoberto

Rigoberto Forum Resident

Oelewapper likes this.
  23. Oelewapper

Ah yes strange, I haven't noticed that before.
    Rumble is specified for the 1200G and 1200GR in the manual... looks like it's not specified for the 1200MK7 in the manual either.

24. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

MK2 has same rumble as GAE, so I'd expect MK7 is equal in that regard.

25. Oelewapper

Perhaps.
    Anything over 65~70dB is fine anyways, since the max (theoretical) dynamic range of vinyl is about 70dB.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.