Technics SL-1200G vs SL-1200GR + suitable MM cartridge for either

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Nubben, Jan 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tzh21y

tzh21y Forum Resident

The best mat for the Technics is the Boston Audio Mat 1

2. Drewan77

Drewan77 Forum Resident

I prefer to say "my preferred" rather than "the best" anything because it's all about personal taste and not absolutes (ie there cannot possibly be a 'best' in any hifi component or artist/album etc)

MusicNBeer, Halloween_Jack and Shawn like this.
  3. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

So it should be better for the price difference.

4. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

thanks, quite happy with my herbies WEII 4mm.

jupiterboy likes this.
  5. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

Well folks, I've decided to take a chance here and to order a 1200GR while they were on sale to see what all of the fuss is about. I already have a great sounding TT (an ancient Linn), but I'm so tired of messing with it that I all but never play records anymore. And I absolutely love the fact that its arm features good old fashioned head shells which will allow me to swap cartridges easily.

I'm hoping that the 1200GR will renew my interest in vinyl. I have some very serious doubts as to whether it will live up to my very high sonic expectations. And I'm not sure if I really should have sprung for the G. But I keep reading from so many of you regarding how awesome these are, and that the sonic difference between the two is pretty small. So I've finally decided that I need to hear one inside of my system. I'm guessing that its sound can probably be tuned a bit by changing the mat if I should find the stock unit to sound a little on the dry side.

I was thinking of initially mounting either a Grado Gold, or a Denon 103, or an Ortofon OM-30 until I get a stash of head shells for it, and decide to start trying some of my nicer MCs.

How are some of the cheap Technics clone head shells? Do they sound as good as the real thing? Or am I better off buying Ortofons? Or do I need to splurge for the real McCoy? And how about some mat recommendations? I've never been a big fan of stock Japanese mats.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
    H8SLKC likes this.
  6. Rob_1

Rob_1 Well-Known Member

Halloween_Jack likes this.
  7. tzh21y

tzh21y Forum Resident

I prefer to say "my preferred" rather than "the best" anything because it's all about personal taste and not absolutes (ie there cannot possibly be a 'best' in any hifi component or artist/album etc)

True, very true.

displayname likes this.
  8. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

These threads are killing me! I truly want to get out of vinyl, or at least downsize, and since my trusty 1200 is still my favorite I still have it even though I have it put away and use the Perspex and Oracle as I have it in my head that they are better, even though they are less satisfying to me.

I keep wondering if I would be happiest sell the three I have now and getting one of the new 1200's to have the best of both worlds.

Hell, now, since I am cleaning and rearranging things in my office, I guess the Project will go into the spares rack and get the 1200 out for awhile!

H8SLKC and displayname like this.
  9. Christopher Sims

Christopher Sims Forum Resident

Hey Tarnished, curious where you bought yours on sale?

10. Davey

Davey NP: Portishead ~ Portishead (1997)

Guitar Center carries the 1210 and has sales pretty often, usually 15 to 20% off ... Best turntable for under $1500

Christopher Sims and displayname like this.
  11. Christopher Sims

Christopher Sims Forum Resident

Thanks Davey

12. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

13. Heckto35

Heckto35 Forum Resident

H*** No!! The fritz gyger is extremely detailed and it's wonderful! That's just a fact man:wiggle:

recstar24 likes this.
  14. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Thanks for the affirmation :) I did end up going with the fritz gyger stylus on a KAB/pros ortofon cart and it’s been wonderful in my system.

snorker and Heckto35 like this.
  15. classicrocker

classicrocker Life is good!

Love my Stanton 881S with original stylus on my 1210 GR. The downside is they don't make OEM stylus anymore so you have to go aftermarket.

recstar24 and punkmusick like this.
  16. I wonder if possible to use G platter on GR and/or mount like Jelco arm for better sound?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2018
  17. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

It is not possible to use G platter on GR and vice-versa. They are not only of made of different materials with different weights, they are also completely different at the bottom and they fit differently in their respective motors.

18. Davey

Davey NP: Portishead ~ Portishead (1997)

Where would you get a G platter? Probably cost as much as the table. There are quite a few sources for copper mats, Micro Seiki had them way back in the 70s made from gunmetal and they are still often available on ebay, though in good shape fetch a good price. Here's a modern equivalent from Italy, also gunmetal, looks pretty nice and a bit easier on the budget ... install it with something like a layer of vaseline to couple it fully to the aluminum platter and it would probably sound pretty nice ...

[​IMG]

Puresound Tenuto Platter Mat Review - HiFi Wigwam

19. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

I've been poking around for the last month or two for a used 1200G --- one came up a couple months back, I balked for an hour, and it was gone...it was $2100.

I've seen the one or two new ones currently on Ebay for $4000+, but they rarely come up used on Yahoo Auctions, Ebay, CL, etc. I'd love to tinker with one being a long time SL-1200 owner.

I recently gifted my coveted black SL-1200 to a friend... still have two more... they are also vintage ones. My friend enjoyed it, and that meant more to me that just sitting in my rather large TT collection! What are friends for?

patient_ot and classicrocker like this.
  20. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

Not quote correct. I have the Boston and the vintage Micro Seiki cu-180 is in another universe and the best mat you can get for any Technics dd table. It is expensive thou.

The Puresound Tenuto mentioned above is very good as well.

21. Randoms

Randoms Aerie Faerie Nonsense

Please keep in mind that my days in retail were 25 years ago, but I don't think much has changed.

We used to sell a lot of turntable only systems based around a £1,500 turntable, arm, cartridge, coupled with a £100 amp and £100 speakers.

Often we would compare it to a "balanced" system of £800 source through £800 pound amp and £800 speakers. Not once did the balanced system outperform the one with a better turntable.

Of course if I was buying now, I'd listen before parting with my cash, and certainly drive a fair distance if required to do this. If buying a system, you may live with it for several years, so it really is worth investigating a bit of time before investing a lot of money.

As has been said, there is a lot of speculation going on here, but surely people want the best sound or the best solution for themself?

If you have a multi-source system, then you would probably take a different route, but if you are vinyl only, your best sound can only come from the best sounding source.

I would be extremely surprised if a (good) £3k turntable with £500 cartridge, through a good £200 pound amp and good £200 speakers, didn't sound amazing.

If you are losing musical information, or altering it via the turntable, the motif and motor power supply being critical to performance, no amplifier or speakers in the world, regardless of price can magic it back.

TarnishedEars likes this.
  22. tzh21y

tzh21y Forum Resident

Great cartridge! awesome on the Technics.

classicrocker and displayname like this.
  23. tzh21y

tzh21y Forum Resident

Interesting... in another forum, a poster said that a copper mat on the G was a no go. He has an SP 10 MKIII in Artisan Fidelity plinth as well as the G.

24. Robert Godridge

Robert Godridge Forum Resident

If I buy one of these turntables (got my eye on the gr) how's a shure v15 (iii) going to do on this arm?

25. Siegfriedsstore

Siegfriedsstore Member

I have owned all of these items.
    The G is a much better deck than the GR.
    The G has the magenesium tonearm and internal damping plus the balanced platter.
    The 2M black works well with both units but the treble on the GR is somewhat harsh.
    My preference on the table is the Audio Technica Art9 or AT33ev.
    The 2M bronze is also a better match for most record collections.

displayname likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.