Technics SL-1200MK2 Upgrades (Pictoral)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by 56GoldTop, Dec 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Analogman

Analogman Well-Known Member

Maybe it wasn't done in "error"

2. missan

missan Forum Resident

No there was most likely no error involved, just economics.

3. missan

missan Forum Resident

As for the 1200II per se. I have always thought of it as great TT that does many thing fairly good, you don´t really have to do anything with it, and it will work better than most and sound fine.
    On the other hand I have also looked at it as a great base and fundament for an engineer that wants to take the performance to a different level. Some parts are as good as it gets, while some can be vastly improved by an engineer that knows what he/she is doing. And one that also thinks it´s rather fun doing it.

OcdMan likes this.
  4. Analogman

The SL-1200, better yet, the SL-120
    Debut: 1972, in constant production until late 2010
    Allowed for the very popular fitment of the SME 3009
    1972 design and technology remind you
    Let's get away from the arm (stock) for a moment (which suffers a bad rap, NOT deserved by the way)
    What platform (turntable proper) has ever come close?
    As turntables go (just the turntable, not "systems", those with factory equipped arms)
    What deck has ever come close?
    For more than 35 years
    The prejudice this deck continues to suffer to this day is ill advised; the SL-1200 was not even Technics' top of the line offering, just a consumer off spring of their professional decks!

At the very end one could still be had new for around $600 bucks give or take and were all still being produced in Japan as far as I know. The day I sat down at the computer to order my first new one was the day I learned they were going out of production; the prices were already being gouged so I had to pass and be happy with my re-conditioned examples, and others, from the family tree

Amazing machine and probably one of the most flexible with a factory arm ever conceived (for cartridge "rollers"); I wouldn't kick it out of bed:

Re-Launch Petition[edit]
    Due to the increasing popularity of the use of vinyl by DJs, a petition is currently underway for the re-launch of the Technics SL1200/SL1210 series turntables. [11]

Panasonic are fully aware of this petition and are following it closely.

As at 14:20 GMT on 7th January 2015 the petition has 23,332 supporters, far beyond the 10,000 the target Panasonic requested. The petition continues to grow to gain more supporters and interest worldwide.

56GoldTop likes this.
  5. jmowbray

jmowbray Forum Resident

I had Jim do my SL-150 MkII bearing at the same time he did my SP-25 bearing (same as SL-1200). No regrets here - quieter background, sharper transients, tighter bass, etc.

Jack

56GoldTop likes this.
  6. missan

missan Forum Resident

I tested the lead-in groove and lead-out groove. I got a little higher level of hum at 50Hz and 100Hz, at the lead-out. Still rather low though, nothing to worry about IMO.

56GoldTop likes this.
  7. OcdMan

OcdMan Senior Member

Yes, same here except at 60Hz and 120Hz. Definitely nothing to worry about. I find it audible only during the fade-out of the last couple of tracks with headphones at a level that would be too loud for typical listening.

56GoldTop and missan like this.
  8. 56GoldTop

56GoldTop Forum Resident Thread Starter

Awesome! That's good news for me. :D

9. 56GoldTop

Yup. I have an original Technics SME armboard.

10. 56GoldTop

It seems the S/N specs of most phono pres/stages I've seen lately hover around 80dB (best ones around 90dB); so, I'd imagine the volume would have to be very much uncomfortably (unsafely) cranked. On my system, the level at which noise becomes apparent, would probably damage my speakers (and most certainly my marriage) with regular program material. Still interested to see how far an outboard PSU would bring that level down and also how it would compare against turntables with AC motors directly under the platter.

11. Analogman

Amazing what cleanliness and the proper lubricants can do.............for any machine

Mother's milk

12. missan

missan Forum Resident

Yes it would be interesting if anyone could present such figures, and also of different or modified bearings compaired with original.

13. nitsuj

nitsuj Forum Resident

56Gold,

Sorry to stray off topic, but...

What cartridge(s) are you using?

Would you care to comment on your SUT, Choir Audio? Hashimoto HM-3? Do you have any other SUT's to compare it with?

Thank you,
    Justin

14. 56GoldTop

Hey Justin,

Straying off topic...

?? I don't have an SUT or an MC... ...yet. You and I both will have to wait a bit longer before I can answer that. However, I've heard praises for the Hashimoto based Choir Audio units. MartinT over on theartofsound forum reviewed an SUT-H7 back in 2011. I think he quite liked it. Personally, I would first like to try one of Bob's Devices Cinemag SUTs matched for the cartridge I've been salivating over and hope very much won't be a let down. I have a secondary choice of MC; but, I'll soon see if I can get my hands on my first choice. Honestly, I'm a bit concerned about how much improvement an MC/SUT combo will yield compared with my SS ruby retipped Stanton 890 which I find rivals the 881 (in some cases, betters).

I noticed you have a SS retipped Dynavector 10x5 and a Dynavector 17D2 MKII. Does the D2 have the same diamond cantilever as the D3? If so, how does it compare to the ruby cantilever of the 10x5? For the price, maybe I should seriously consider that (D3) as well.

nitsuj likes this.
  15. nitsuj

nitsuj Forum Resident

My mistake 56. You had posted a picture of a 1200 with Dynavector arm, and next to it was a Choir SUT, assumed it was yours.

Yes, my D2 has a 1.7mm diamond cantilever and stylus. The D2/Phonomena/Traveler setup is fantastic. The 10x5 SSR/Sutherland/TNT sounds better to me overall. The D2 is very accurate, detailed, smooth, and pleasing but lacks some size (lean bass/mid) and boogie. The 10x5 is bold, and boogies, as well as being almost as smooth and detailed as the D2. Another category where the Soundsmith ruby excels is lack of surface noise. I thought the D2 was pretty darn quiet until I heard the 10x5 retipped, very forgiving. I would like to swap the cartridges around and experiment some more with an SUT for the D2, but time is not on my side and the 10x5 rig is pressing the right buttons at the moment.

56GoldTop likes this.
  16. 56GoldTop

I believe that is MartinT's 1200/Dynavector. Quite lovely.

Interesting. I'm kind of surprise to hear you favor the 10x5 SSR over the D2's diamond cantilever. It confirms how I feel about the SoundSmith II & III tier retips. Which is to say the SSR has away of revealing much, if not all, of what a generator can give. Still... there's just something very likeable about an "over-the-top" diamond cantilever. :D

nitsuj likes this.
  17. ninjagaijin

ninjagaijin Member

I've been in contact with Kevin @ KABUSA and others to determine what a noise is that I am hearing only with power on and needle touching the record - seems it is the transformer. So any PSU externalisation will help with this. It is discussed a bit when people try to use MM carts and you can hear it when the needle moves closer to the transformer under the platter. Looking at replacing my transformer if I can find an old Technics grey transformer or worst case a PS-1200GX or similar externaliser. I'd prefer to keep my components inside the deck though just because I have enough stuff around already and like to use coffin cases in my regular setup..

18. nitsuj

nitsuj Forum Resident

To be fair I have not heard the D2 on the 12" uni-pivot arm or with an SUT in circuit. The Phonomena and PH3D both max out at 60db, I feel like D2 could use more. More gain might beef it up and flesh out the upper bass/low-mid frequencies a bit. I was not expecting to enjoy the SSR 10x5 as much as I am either. "Goes to show, you don't ever know..."

Thanks for indulging me. Back to the pimped out SL-12's...

19. 56GoldTop

A new entry: Funk Firm Spin bearing (middle)

stock bearing: left
    Mike New Audio bearing: right

[​IMG]

dmckean likes this.
  20. hydesg

hydesg Member

How does those 3 bearings compare?

21. 56GoldTop

Missed this one. Sorry for the very late reply. I can only speak to the stock bearing and the Mike New Audio bearing. I have no experience with the Funk Spin bearing.

If you are the kind of person who listens for such, the Mike New Audio bearing absolutely trounces the stock bearing in sonics and build quality. There is no comparison, whatsoever. All those terms seasoned audiophiles use (eg. "black backgrounds", "spatial cues") come to mind and are relevant if you're listening for such. And, the stock bearing isn't bad, in my opinion. The Mike New Audio bearing and I'd imagine the Funk Spin are just in a different league as they don't at all appear to have been built to a price point but rather an objective goal. Several years in, I would never go back to a stock bearing. I would try a Funk Spin bearing if the Mike New bearing became unavailable... ...in one of my other 1200s.

dmckean likes this.
  22. Martin Gagnon

Martin Gagnon New Member

But what??? I was a DJ for more than 2 decades until about 6 years ago and I carried my sl-1200mk2 everywhere I went... Wedding, club, big event... those tables are now about 30 y.o. and they have seen em all and NEVER did I have to fix them and they always sound fantastic even with a simple shure M-447. But I never mixed Pro and Hi-Fi so at home I had a Rega P3 with a Rega Exact that I bough new in year 2000 witch sounded very good too. But about that Rega... I had to change the belt all the time, the motor failed, the RCA cable had to be replace about 4 times because they break of I could hear them in the speaker when I touch them. I had to change the belt gear manually to go from 33 to 45 rpm, the tone arm was a pain to set the azimuth and you have to buy expensive part to adjust it too, the have awful dampening so they pick up eveything if played loud, so basically they are a pain in the but.... after owning it for 15 years and when I stopped DJ'ing... I compared my DJ original sl-1200 witch have a lot of millage with my Rega with the same cartridges... well I sold the Rega and kept my 1200 in the living room if that can tell you that much. More accurate motor, less humm, easier to maintain and to switch from 33 to 45, easier and more accurate to setup the alignement and azimuth, less rumble and the kidz can blast music in the living room and jump as much as they want without having the record skipping and I could not hear a difference in the sound quality even if the tone arm is suppose to be the week point... so over all, the 2 are uncomparable and the Technics 1200 is in every way superior to a lot of those fancy hand built exotic turntable out there... I will compare the exotic turntable as a Ferrari witch is nice but you want to keep in your garage because unreliable and expensive to maintain... the Technics 1200 is a Porsche. Is is well desing and have same or better performance than the Ferrari but is ment to be driven and beated and is reliable... they are juste BETTER... so but what??? Own both for 15 years and compare them for 15 years... and then tell me I'm wrong. The rest of the setup is a Arcam integrated amp with Polk Rt-8... now old but still sound awsome.

Hendertuckie and Rhapsody In Red like this.
  23. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

You can buy new (NOS). Prices start at about $2K and go up to $6K.

24. This was very helpful to me. I've been considering upgrading my table, but I like the build and features of the 1200mk2. Dunno if I can justify a major upgrade. Even, though you mentioned the tone arm quality, is there a different tone arm that would be an improvement for the wheels of steel? My tonearm seems to have loosened and there is about a milimeter of play in either direction twisting it.

25. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

Stupid question maybe, but does anyone know if anyone has ever put an acrylic platter on a 1200? Anyone also have any pictures of replinth jobs?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.