Technics SL-1200Mk7 Owners... Your Impressions So Far?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Cyclone Ranger, Jul 18, 2019.

1. russk

russk Forum Resident

Nice LP choice. Great album. What phono preamp are you using with your Blue Point?

2. IRG

IRG Forum Resident

Yes, tell us more!

U-96 and Cyclone Ranger like this.
  3. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock Thread Starter

Yes, Lizee, that would be awesome! Please do. :agree:

displayname likes this.
  4. LIZEE

LIZEE Forum Resident

Hi there ,
    Just to tell you I haven't forgotten you.

But hold on please

See you soon !

5. LIZEE

LIZEE Forum Resident

as reply to Russk, I'm used to listening through Rega Aria phonoamp or one joenit battery phonoamp

russk and displayname like this.
  6. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

My favorite is the attitude that anybody who owns or is interested in a Technics turntable and wants to discuss it specifically is a “fanboy”... I have seen such a thing as the “Technics fanboy” but not really that much on this forum. Just owners, or people considering buying one, wanting to exchange actual information.

JediJoker likes this.
  7. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I could see the breakdown between the mk7 and the Sol being how convenient an experience the buyer is looking for, assuming sound quality is up to snuff for both. Though, and I have said this before, I am not entirely convinced the Sol is a real product that will ever be sold, because those are some goofy dudes, and I wouldn’t put it past them to troll the market with something like this for their own amusement...

As far as Rega is concerned, I do wonder how long it will take them to hit back at the P3 level, considering they’re not all the way done moving their lineup to their current generation (though I think just P10 is left and coming soon, right?). Do we see the follow-up to P3 so soon? Or is it as simple as improving the cartridge packaged with the current P3?

8. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I’ll be curious to see impressions of the Blue Point EVO III, as well. For some reason Sumiko carts seem to be under-the-radar around here.

9. Cyclone Ranger

I think you can probably trust Schiit to release products that they say they’re gonna release. It’s just that the ‘When’ part is pretty fluid with them. :sigh:

Far as the Planar 3 goes, I don’t think they need a full re-design or anything, especially coming so close on the heels of the last one.

Instead, just fold in one or two of the cheaper-but-effective aftermarket mods, either in the main model or some sort of ‘P3 Plus’, and then also improve the Elys cart (the cart the P3 is most likely to be paired with, and also a cart that gets mixed-reviews-at-best on sound quality).

Early reports on the Sol say that it spanks the P3 pretty hard in terms of SQ, and it’s also apparently $250 cheaper. It’s admittedly also a low-volume product, but the new Technics isn’t, and if it too is better, then... :eek:

So maybe Rega just standing pat in this price class isn’t exactly wise...

highqualityrecords and Big Blue like this.
  10. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

No, the 1500 and the Mk7 are assembled in Malaysia, IIRC.

luckybaer, russk and Big Blue like this.
  11. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Yes, Malaysian manufacture (Panasonic has factories there) is one of the ways they cut the cost. The perceived potential for less-stringent QC at a Panasonic factory vs. the Technics factory is one of the big points of interest in seeing user reviews, I think.

12. Benzion

I will definitely pass on the Sol - don't like the aesthetics, nor the uni-pivot arm type. As to Technics - I'm definitely interested, and have been for a while. The only reason I haven't bought one, ironically, is I have literally no need and/or space of one. I have 5 tables in a one-bedroom apartment. Attempts at selling one of them to be replaced with a Technics failed. Other than that, I'd be interested to see an A/B comparison of the GR against the 1500.

displayname and Big Blue like this.
  13. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

If Schitt can produce a table at a profit that can whip a P3 in its price range, more power to them. Right now it’s vapor ware.

McLover and Big Blue like this.
  14. Cyclone Ranger

Not exactly. They’ve shown (and played) functioning prototypes at several audio shows recently, and at their HQ store (‘The Schiiter’, lol).

In fact, I think you can go into their HQ store and play with one.

So it exists, it just isn’t shipping yet. Give it 2-3 months. :sigh:

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
  15. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Even with my high end JLab headphones I could tell the SL Looks better:)
    Kidding aside I think the 1200 would be my endgame table.

16. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

Let them produce a product that actually beats a P3 and do it a price that is competitive with a P3 and I will be impressed.

17. Cyclone Ranger

We’ll see, yes? But I’m rooting for them, ‘cuz I think the market definitely needs a ‘category-killer’ $700 ‘table. :agree:

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
    displayname likes this.
  18. Benzion

I also think it will come out one day. I doubt it will stay at this price point. If they could - they would have done, by now.

19. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I am mainly teasing Schiit with those types of comments, because, come on, how long has this thing been “coming soon”? Prototypes don’t mean anything more than that they’ve made prototypes. In general, I don’t think virtually any company would tease a product in development as a joke, but if anybody was going to do it, Schiit would be my pick. So my comments are more of a, hey, prove me wrong and finish the thing!

As for Rega, it does seem a “P3 Plus” type solution is more likely than so quickly moving to their next generation. I could see part of their attitude being that they still feel they make the best turntable at that price, though, and leaving it to the customer to agree with them and buy a P3 despite the new competition. I just get a “we do it the best way, take it or leave it” vibe from Rega (I’m not saying that’s necessarily bad, mind you!).

20. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

They just did a complete revision in 2016. Pretty much everything was new from the RP3. I would expect it to have a 5 or 6 year run minimum before we see the next edition. They have a pretty good reason to think they make the best table in its price point, they are selling the hell out of them I would bet that any true competition for the P3 comes from Technics. I expect the entry Technics to have better speed regulation but lose out to Rega in those things Rega does well. Schitt is where those companies were in 1973. They have a lot to learn

Randoms and Big Blue like this.
  21. russk

russk Forum Resident

No way it’s $700. If it’s under $999 I’d be amazed. Unless they offshore the bulk of it. I’m rooting for them as well though. They make a bunch of great gear and most of it in my home town. If they manage a sub $1000 dollar table using their same philosophy and manufacturing processes that they use for the rest of their gear they deserve a huge win.

displayname likes this.
  22. Cyclone Ranger

Schitt’s been saying $699 at the recent audio shows, so we shall see.

23. russk

russk Forum Resident

I think they’ve actually been saying that for over a year now. They seem to be holding to it so hopefully.

24. LIZEE

LIZEE Forum Resident

Being the owner of one GAEdition, I'm going to give my first impressions on comparing the mk7 (performance quite similar with 1500) with that one.
    In order to compare them on the same basis, I replaced several original things ( you can improve so the turntable) : 1)the main interconnect by one CHORD power chord 2) the interconnects are NORDOST red dawn rca 3) the headshell and cartridge : ORTOFON magnesium and cadenza red.

No MK7 factory settings modification except blue lighting

My set up : battery phono amp , naitxs2 and Tannoy legacy Eaton

The first thing to be highlighted is the soundstage, bigger on the GAE than mk7.
    The sound is quite similar ( dead silent background, musical and dynamic, tiny details retrieved, however less bass slam , regarding the piano reference timbre , as natural as the GAE).
    It's still a pleasure to listen to Supertramp crime of the century (speakers corner ed).

Regarding the hardware, the start/stop and 33/45 buttons do seem to be solid.
    The cue lever does need to be lifted maximum ( more progressive on the GAE) and isn't lowered progressively.
    the stylus light looks a little flimsy compared with the GAE but the record is more illuminated and it's as solid.

Here my first impressions after 10 days break in

Costing one third of GAE price (3000 EUR)
    , you get as much musical pleasure with this turntable that is deemed to be reliable and well designed

I

25. Timbo21

Timbo21 Forum Resident

How's the platter? Wonky-donky? Or, Pancake flat? :)

bever70 likes this.