Technics SL-1500c - Mat

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by JSound, Sep 11, 2019 at 11:55 AM.

1. JSound

JSound New Member Thread Starter

Hello everyone,

Just picked up a Technics 1500c and was looking to upgrade the mat to a Funk Firm Achromat. I read through several posts here and other sites and it seems to do miracles on sound improvements. As most of you, if sound can be improved...I will consider.
    Problem is I am not sure which model to purchase. 3MM, 5MM or the 1200.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

2. gguy

gguy Forum Resident

I recently got a SL-1200GR and use a 5mm funk firm from my previous table. In my system, the FF mat is a much cleaner sound. The stock mat has more bass, but is less detailed. Some prefer the stock mat, it makes sense if you have a leaner sounding system. Doesn’t hurt to try

3. JSound

Thanks gguy. Its just that I read (can't remember where) that the technics metal platter has a groove which prohibits the FF mat to fit properly, hence why they make a mat called 1200. I just don't know if my platter is the same as the 1200.

4. gguy

gguy Forum Resident

I believe this is on the older 1200’s. On the GR, it is near flush. The stock mat also does not have a lip. I am not sure if this is the case with the 1500C

5. JSound

Thank you. I also orderd a Ortofon 2M Blue stylus to upgrade from the red. will check back in a couple of weeks to give you my verdict. Cheers!

6. Anton D

Anton D Forum Resident

7. JSound

Yes thank you, I read up on the OMA mat. Just a tad over my budget!

8. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

playing loud bass is a great way to test a new mat. the FF simply did not sound very good in my system on my GR- the bass was hollow and weaker sounding, lacked impact and colored the midrange. after fiddiling with a few others i decided to by another herbies way excellent mat (same i used on a previous table) and it sounds the best.

9. Be careful with cartridge height here. The SL-1500C has a different cartridge height range than the SL-1200 series...it’s 3mm lower. If you put a taller mat, you might have a problem raising the arm high enough to accommodate taller cartridges.

gguy likes this.
  10. JSound

Thanks for the heads-up snorker. I beleive I am already 4. Will need to verify if I can add an additional 2mm.