Technics SL-1500C: would you recommend it?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by bmusic, Aug 28, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

The pandemic has interrupted supply chains and shipping. Right now many companies will not ship to the U.S.

Big Blue likes this.
  2. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

For some reason, I hadn’t even thought of that in the context of this Technics discussion, despite my having run into the very same issue with other products over the past few months... :oops:

patient_ot likes this.
  3. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Yep, even things like CD players are out of stock at some vendors.

Big Blue likes this.
  4. bmusic

bmusic Forum Resident Thread Starter

Is the first option a good deal? I'm new to this...

5. Nephrodoc

Nephrodoc Forum Resident

If you like that 1500C reach out to Kevin at KAB. I have one been working with him for years and knows these tables well. That modded package looks great, looks like it includes an OM 30 which is great. Just add a decent phono, there are many in the $300 range that should be fine and should keep you under budget.

Big Blue likes this.
  6. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

“Good deal” is always subjective, and assumes you actually want everything that is included in the package that adds to the price. I would suggest reading up on each mod on KAB’s own site to get a good idea of what you are getting for the additional cost. It is a good deal if you were going to do all the upgrades, anyway, but it is about $500 over retail for the standard unit, which is a good chunk.

I can tell you that, had this KAB SL-1500C model been available at the time I bought my GR, I would have considered it as an alternative. The claim that KAB do QC on each unit before modding and reselling it helps, in my mind, bridge the gap in confidence between the GR being made in Japan and the concerns that the 1500C may be less consistent, coming from the Malaysian factory at the lower price (potentially with less stringent QC, tolerances, etc.). Also, as I have used the tonearm damper on my GR, I can tell you I like it, but there are people who do not like the idea of it because it means having an open trough of viscous, very sticky fluid attached to the tonearm. If you are one of those people, I’d hate to see this thing show up at your door and have that be a surprise. So, again, definitely read up on what all you are getting with that package.

If I was set on trying a 1500C, and buying online, I would either go the KAB route or wait for Crutchfield to get you one at the regular retail price. Crutchfield has a very generous 60-day return policy and great customer service (I do not mean to suggest they are the only or even best place to buy one of these, but I have experience with them and can vouch).

If you are impatient, it may be a good idea to check with KAB before ordering their version. His products and expertise on all things regarding Technics turntables are top notch; his website, however, is a horror show that navigates like we’re living in the ‘90s, and I am not confident any backorder information would appear with any sort of reliability were you to simply place an order. Also, he’s very responsive and willing to answer any questions, so it’s a good opportunity to discuss anything you want to know before handing over your money.

If KAB does have them available, that may also be the fastest way for you to get your hands on one right now, which may be another selling point for you.

7. bmusic

What is a phono?

8. bmusic

Do you have a picture of that tonearm damper? I've never even heard of such a thing! To me, a lot of this stuff sounds unnecessary, but I don't know much about turntables.

9. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

I think he means a phono stage.

bmusic and patient_ot like this.
  10. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

It's on the KAB site. It's something that can always be added later if you just buy a stock model from Crutchfield or Value Elec.

bmusic likes this.
  11. bmusic

Also, is there a particular Sumiko cartridge that would work best with this turntable?

12. Nathan Z

Nathan Z Forum Resident

Honestly I'd buy a MoFi StudioDeck and pair it with a Nagaoka MP-110 or MP-150. I know it doesn't have a built in pre-amp, but I've used the MK7 and 1500C and the StudioDeck just felt so much better to use. Not to mention it looks less like a DJ table, but I guess the visual part is up to you. The 2m Red is gonna be pretty bad for distortion and will sound pretty harsh. Nagaoka's track VERY well for the price and have a great blend of neutrality and dynamics.

(Edit): I'm NOT saying the Technics turntables weren't already great to use, but I just prefer my StudioDeck. The DD motor on the Technics turntables (they share the same motor with the 1500C and 1200 MK7) have a LOT more torque than the StudioDeck though, but the tonearm on the StudioDeck is just such a pleasure to use.

Nephrodoc likes this.
  13. cliff_forster

cliff_forster Crabby Dad Tech

I wish they would strip one of the lousy OM Red Cart and remove the internal preamp, knock a few bucks off, maybe sell it for $1,000 USD Even and I'd be all over it.

14. Nathan Z

Nathan Z Forum Resident

Agreed. I get that they want a plug and play option which is sorta great but at that price point, how many people want plug and play? I feel like when you've got to the $1000 mark you PROBABLY are okay with buying a separate preamp and messing around with different cartridges, hell you probably want to do that. If they made a GR quality level 1500C without the pre-amp or the cartridge (or at least a better cartridge), I probably would have got that instead of my StudioDeck.

cliff_forster likes this.
  15. nyrjoe

nyrjoe Well-Known Member

Read through this thread with great interest. If wanting the best sound quality would a 1500c provide the same SQ as a 1210? Assuming the same cart on each? I believe the 1210 has a better tone arm? Would a 1210 dig deeper bass and better resolution out of a good recording?

16. Nathan Z

Nathan Z Forum Resident

If by the 1210 you're referring to the 1200/1210GR, then yes the GR would sound better than the 1500C. Not to mention the build quality is just better on the GR too.

17. nyrjoe

nyrjoe Well-Known Member

Yes was referring to the 1200/1210 GR..

18. Nathan Z

Nathan Z Forum Resident

If you're considering buying a Technics, buy the GR. I can't stress this enough. If you have the money... buy the GR.

csgreene and johnny q like this.
  19. cliff_forster

cliff_forster Crabby Dad Tech

There is a part of me that knows that from a technical standpoint, it's hard to have something built much better, but God I just want one built in Japan without all the DJ Junk. Sell it without a bad cartridge. Sell it with no phono stage, no DJ junk, just a pure audiophile table to last for eternity. If anyone from Technics is listening, build the 1500 Japan super stripped down audiophile edition please.

20. duckamuck

duckamuck Well-Known Member

I actually went through a very similar thought process and after an agonizingly long deliberation, went for the GR. You can read my rationale at in The Technics SL-1200 GAE/G/GR general questions thread (this should hopefully make you to the right post; it's on page 195 of the discussion).

That being said, I still have yet to see any actual side-to-side of evaluation of the two turntables. There's been a lot of good reviews for the 1500C; Michael Fremer wrote very positively about it for Analog Planet, and KAB thinks highly enough of it to offer it as a special edition with their tonearm damper and other upgrades; I assume he thought it was horrible, he wouldn't do so. If anyone has more information on the actual differences in playback quality, that would be very interesting!

Nathan Z and Jbird like this.
  21. Nathan Z

Nathan Z Forum Resident

I know, it kills me how much of a missed opportunity a Japanese 1500C is. I'm sure I said this before in some thread but if they made a Japanese 1500C with no pre-amp, auto-lift (or at least a good auto-lift system, the 1500C one SUCKS), I'd be the first in line.

In theory the 1500C is all you'd need. For regular folks it's got the hinged dust cover that stops at whatever height you want it up at. I love that. It's got adjustable VTA, anti-skating, VTF, and within the headshell usually you can adjust the azimuth a tiny bit. Still love it.

But that damn built in pre-amp and the autolift, I DON'T want that. I'd take the 2M red still just because I like to collect cartridges but I think everybody here knows that built in pre-amps are not the way to go if you care about the sound of your turntable.

Because of these flaws (in my opinion yes they are flaws), the cheapest Technics turntable I'd consider is the GR. The GR doesn't have the phono stage (good thing imo), the ****ty autolift, or the included cartridge, not to mention that it's built with better materials. I would have gotten the GR but it was just too much out of my price range and I got a MoFi StudioDeck instead. I'm happy with what I got though so it all worked out.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
    cliff_forster likes this.
  22. DBMartin

DBMartin Forum Resident

Interesting thread, I'm thinking of buying an SL-1500C (seems like a lot of TT for the money indeed). I currently have an AT LP120USB with VM540ML cartridge, but I'm looking for an upgrade. I'm curious to find out whether the Ortofon Red is up to the job, does the SL-1500C actually pair well with the VM540ML?

23. Hardcore

Hardcore Quartz Controlled

Are folks overlooking the Mk7? That doesn’t have the pre or auto lift, it seems to be of a similar quality as the 1500C.

24. DBMartin

DBMartin Forum Resident

I prefer the cleaner and simpler look of the 1500C and I've read that the pre-amp is pretty good, especially tuned to the Ortofon Red (and with the option of upgrading to the Blue later on). The auto lift function doesn't really interest me, so I'm glad you can simply turn it off. Also, 1000 euros really is the maximum that I'd wanna spend. Other TTs around that price may be interesting, but will often still require buying a phono pre-amp and a cartridge and stylus, as those are typically not included.

25. Hardcore

Hardcore Quartz Controlled

Oh certainly, if you’re going to use the pre amp it’s a great choice. :)

It was more to Nathan who found the pre and arm lift the things putting him off the 1500.

It does have slightly more DJ looks but I still think it’s a great looking table!

DBMartin likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.