Technics SL-1900 vs Dual CS 604

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by HankBass, Jan 18, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HankBass

HankBass Forum Resident Thread Starter

I am thinking of getting a second turntable. Locally i found a Dual CS 604 for $300 and A Technics SL-1900 for $300. Both seem to be in good shape. I currently have a Rega P1 (2016) with tango spinner sub platter mod.

Is $300 a reasonable price for either of these tables? Would one be better sounding than the other? Any comments would be appreciated.

2. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

I have a thing for Technics but that Dual looks beautiful. When things are in excellent condition especially of that vintage you need to pay a premium. In ordinary state I would say the Technics is overpriced, the same probably goes for the Dual but in the last case I am presuming as I don't normally follow Dual prices.

3. classicrocker

classicrocker Life is good!

4. timind

timind phorum rezident

If in the condition you state, either of them will best your Rega IMO. That said, I feel the prices are high unless they've been gone over thoroughly by a competent tech.

AL01 and todd141 like this.
  5. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Innocent Bystander

As a Dual enthusiast it pains me to say it, but these days a 604 would not be my choice. A really excellent turntable with a superb arm, let down by the need for a proprietary cartridge or a clunky adapter. I love my 1268, but I sure wish I didn't need that adapter. At $300 the Technics is a better choice; if you could get the Dual for less I might be persuaded.

6. HankBass

what do you mean by propietary cartridge? I thought i read that any 1/2" cartridge would work.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
  7. HankBass

I also just found a Technics sl-3200 for $150 which i an seriously considering over the other two. mostly because of price. Is the sl-3200 a good direct drive table?

8. tumbleweed

I may be wrong on that. I think the 604 is one year prior to the introduction of the ULM design, so it does use a conventional 1/2" carrier. If so, the purchase is more appealing - it is a nice TT - but that carrier (not really a headshell) has its own problems, relating to the imprecise way the contacts mate with each other. I still think the quoted price is out of line, compared to the Technics.

EDIT: I did some searching, and it's the 606 that first had the proprietary head mount, not the 604. Mea culpa.

9. HankBass

So I picked up the technics sl3200 today. everything seems to be in working order. cleaned up real good, deoxit on cables and pots. dust cover is broken where it goes into hinge. set up cartridge. It came with an AT LS400 cartridge. It sounds pretty good , not as good as my rega p1 with the ATvm95ml. Im assuming the cartridge is the biggest difference. not much info out there on the ls400. anybody have experience with this cartridge. i will try putting the vm 95ml on there later and see how that sounds. I eventually would like to put a at vm540ml on one of these tables.
    Is there anything else i should go over with this table?

Andy Saunders, timind and rcsrich like this.
  10. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

I'm running the VM95ML on the SL-D2 I just picked up... sounds great, I'm sure it'll sound nice on the 3200.

11. tumbleweed

The LS400 was in AT's Lab Series, roughly equivalent to the 10/11/12 series, likely a variant on the AT12, with a nude elliptical stylus. Quite a nice cartridge, I'd assume mostly equal to the 95, although the 95 has a more sophisticated stylus profile.

JohnO likes this.
  12. AnnoyedRob228

AnnoyedRob228 Forum Resident

I just found a Dual 1019 for $169. Thinking of pulling the trigger.

13. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

If that is an idler type Dual with automatic features, just bear in mind it's probably going to need some work, especially if you want to keep it working over the long term. I wouldn't suggest one of these things to everyone. Better have a good tech or be prepared for DIY.

14. AnnoyedRob228

AnnoyedRob228 Forum Resident

Thanks.

I am upgrading from a very good experience with an entry level turntable.

15. Styxguy

Styxguy Forum Resident

I'm pretty happy with my SL-1900... I might take some preemptive action and give it an overhaul sometime this summer (new RCA and ground cables, re-cap, re-grease).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.