Technics SL-5 which cartridge?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by cherbette, Jun 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cherbette

cherbette Forum Resident Thread Starter

I just bought this linear-tracking table and have been reading online from other users who have the SL-5 that the Grado Black P-mount is the affordable way to go with this table with the best sound quality. As a newbie, I am definitely looking from feedback from the experts here. Ideas?

2. bonjo

bonjo Forum Resident

I've never had a Grado p-mount, so I can't say much about the sound.

In any event, your choices are pretty limited. All the really good Audio Technica and Shure p-mounts are no longer made.

If you can find a new Shure MP94E or Audio Technica AT316 on eBay, those are two low cost p-mounts that sound really good on Technics turntables, or at least they do on the non-linear tracking ones. Then again, the linear trackers have completely different arms so they may not match as well.

Hope that helps you in some way!

3. JBStephens

JBStephens I don't "like", "share", "tweet", or CARE. In Memoriam

4. I have an SL-6 that I use for ripping vinyl to digital and I lucked out and found a new old stock Sony MC-10 p-mount which is a high output moving coil cartridge. This table sounds fantastic with that cart but they are as rare as hen's teeth and even more rare in p-mount. I originally had an Ortofon OM-30 on it and that sounded fantastic as well. The OM 20 or even the OM 10 are more reasonably priced and still available as new old stock in some places.

5. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

This.

I tried a P-mount Grado Green on a Denon DP-7F. It sounded very good, but not better than my Audio Technica AT311EP. I don't think you can go wrong with a Grado, but I'd personally recommend the A-T. Note that Grado P-mount carts are an odd size, they don't fit into the standard P-mount universal adapters - that may have some bearing on how they fit on a linear tracking arm.

6. colinu

colinu I'm not lazy, I'm energy saving!

I have a (spare) SL-3 and a SL-7 and I have a Grado Black in the 7. No mounting problems - sounds good to me.

7. cherbette

Right now the table has a JVC Z-45EP cartridge on it which is apparently the same as a AT301EP cart. So I was told buy a friend to keep the cart on it and go to JICO and get the conical stylus for $19 to play 45s and acetates, and get the Shibata for $89 to play albums. But as a newbie, I don't quite understand where to find those styli to fit my cart.

8. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

Audio Technica has made countless carts with the same form factor. Your cart probably is the same as an AT301EP. I think a Shibata is a bit overkill; I'd recommend an eliptical for LPs. A Conical for 45s is a good idea.

9. cherbette

Where might I find those eliptical or conical styli to fit my P-mount cart online?

10. McLover

McLover Senior Member

cherbette,

There is a cheap Audio-Technica P Mount with a conical stylus. It's a good performer and tracks well. Should cost you less than $25.

11. cherbette

I already have a good cart, I just want to buy replacement styi' for it...the two recommended above conical and either elliptical or shibata. I can't seem to find specifically which ones I need in each category for my specific cart.

12. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

http://www.lpgear.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=LG&Product_Code=ATSAT0301EP

I don't think Jico (export-japan.com) have high-end styli for this model anymore, but they do make them for resellers like LPGear. Not so cheap.

13. JBStephens

JBStephens I don't "like", "share", "tweet", or CARE. In Memoriam

Most of the cost of a cartridge is the stylus. You'll actually pay almost as much for a replacement stylus as for an entire cartridge. So what I would do, since p-mount cartridges are so easy to swap out, would be to get two new cartridges, one with a .7 mil conical for 45's, and a good eliptical for LP's. Then you'll be all set.

14. cherbette

15. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

You need to be sure that's the right form. All styli that look like that will fit your cartridge if that's what your stylus looks like now. You should take it off and compare. The ATN 12S is quite different.

Sometimes there's bargains on eBay, comes and goes. http://cgi.ebay.com/Budget-Retrofit...tem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5193cd2686

16. cherbette

17. cherbette

Is there a P-mount that will fit the ATN12S? That way I don't have to worry about re-selling the stylus.

18. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

Check the www.needledoctor.com for available P mounts. It is too bad that not many great carts are made in P mount style. I do understand why, though.

19. cherbette

Will the ATN12S fit onto a AT82ED cart?

20. bholz

bholz Forum Resident

I had a very good AT cartridge in my SLDL-5 that I put back into use 2 years ago. Wasn't real comfortable with using that 28 yr old cartridge on old and especially new vinyl, so I bought an Ortofon 320 from LPGear. I was so happy with the Ortofon that I went with the ProS40 cartridge from KAB when I purchased my SL1200.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.