Technics SL-D1 Anti-Skating issues

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by youraveragevinylcollector, Feb 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. youraveragevinylcollector

youraveragevinylcollector Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've noticed that on my Technics SL-D1 turntable, sometimes the anti skating works properly, but most of the time, despite having the tracking force perfect, even when I set the anti skate to 0, it'll still pull the tonearm back, so much so, that on quite a few albums I own, towards the end of a side on an album, it'll start repeating like a locked groove, even on NM records. I stick them on my AudioTechnica LP60, they play perfectly. Do I need a new spring for the anti skating, or is it more trouble than the TT is worth?

2. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

The anti-skate mechanism does not change its preset, so intermittent malfunction is virtually impossible. The anti-skate may be malfunctioning indeed, as you have observed. But even when set to zero, and "stuck" on max, the force isn't enough to cause skipping.

I suspect you may have a problem with the cue platform, a good chance it's not retracting all the way due to misadjustment. If you changed cartridges recently, or changed to a thicker turntable mat, records of different thickness, the misadjustment can become a problem (whereas before it wasn't) The arm may be hanging up... or just scraping on the platform, which does two bad things: 1) the arm motion will be impeded, 2) the actual tracking force lessens unpredictably, because the platform "stops" the stylus from making full contact in the groove (sometimes) thus the intermittent problem and skipping.

Have a look at the cue platform. With a record playing, it should retract and clear the arm by a mm or two. There is an adjustment screw on the platform. Adjust with the arm locked down.

Also possible, the tone arm wire may be catching on a mechanical part, which could cause the arm to "want" to pull back.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
  3. Jeff449

Jeff449 Forum Resident

It could be a tonearm wire snagged on something underneath the plinth .
    Remove the record , protect the stylus with a guard or remove it , then balance the tonearm with the counterweight. Maybe you already did this. Anyway ,it should stay where you place it with anti skate on 0. It should drift outward only with anti skate applied. Is the table perfectly level?

The FRiNgE likes this.
  4. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Springs can get stretched over time. Replacing one is pretty cheap. I'd check the tonearm wires like others said, and maybe even the tonearm bearings just to be sure.

Re: the locked groove thing, that can happen where the album is dished and/or off-center, if the TT is not leveled properly, or malfunctioning anti-skate.

The LP60 uses a cheap, fat conical stylus, which may skate over dished records, pressing flaws, etc. Put a similar cart on the Technics and see what your results are. Sometimes a heavier tracking conical is preferable for records with issues.

5. youraveragevinylcollector

It did this previously when I was using a stand, but I was able to set it back to 0, then readjust it, and it was fine. It's gotten progressively worse, I think. I really think the spring is done for, I can't even use that trick anymore. Both surfaces are level, though.

6. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani/Dobrawa Czocher ~ Inner Symphonies

Seems like a weak spring would cause less anti-skate, not more, but something in the mechanism may be getting hung up with old grease or something like that causing it to act like a tighter spring...

[​IMG]

7. youraveragevinylcollector

Where'd you get this pic from?

8. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani/Dobrawa Czocher ~ Inner Symphonies

9. youraveragevinylcollector

It's been a very long time since I've been on this thread, but I've posted a YouTube video showing how bad the anti skate can be.

10. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

Did you buy the TT second hand? I would say someone changed the spring and put something way over more powerful than what it should be.

11. youraveragevinylcollector

Yes, I bought it from a stereo shop (which I'll never go to again for various reasons), but it never really started becoming a problem till about a year ago. It's just getting to where I can't stop it from skating anymore, and it's affecting the tracking of LPs.

12. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

Depends on how mechanically minded your are, I would open the base and check myself. There could be a cable on the way, it could have something to do with the auto return lever that gets pushed as the arm moves towards the center. That's just to name a few possible causes, you could take the spring too and see what happens but unless the mechanisms is exposed and you play with it, everything else is limited to guessing, however it should not be rocket science.

13. youraveragevinylcollector

Maybe so. I don't have the proper tools or room to work on it, but I'm going to go to a friend's who does have the tools, I'll try and see what I'm looking for.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.