Technics SL-D2 Speed Instability

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Vizzy, Dec 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vizzy

Vizzy New Member Thread Starter

The speed on my Technics SL-D2 turntable wavers. I have read an old thread here about spraying the pots inside to fix this, and watched a YT video that shows how to do so for a different Technics model. I have gotten the spray and used it, and it may have improved it slightly. This was some time ago. Now I want to clean it again. But! I am not sure what to spray. Where are the pots in the SL-D2? What do they look like? The inside of the SL-D2 looks nothing like the TT shown in the YT video, where the location and ID of the pots is so obvious. I need specifics as to what I am looking for, what it looks like in the SL-D2 and where they are located. Thank you for any specific assistance.

2. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

I would send a PM but our new member can't receive any yet. Welcome aboard.

Here's the service manual, free download link which will expire in 7 days (do not register if it asks, just close the reg box and download for free)(this file is not from VE)
    Wikisend: free file sharing service

If you looked at the same video I just looked at, that is a different Technics model but the functionality is the same even if things are in different places.

You need to spray the outside speed selector and the pitch control. You can first try that just from the outside without any disassembly except sliding off the speed selector button. You also need to spray the shafts of the VR1 and VR2 pots which are shown on Page 8, Fig. 12. You can first try that just from the top without any disassembly. For this I recommend QD Electronic Cleaner as shown in that video, not DeOxit. (That's my opinion, I don't want to discuss DeOxit here.)

After spraying, work the controls and the pots back and forth several times, using a screwdriver for those inner pots from the top using a screwdriver, then with the turntable back in place check speed and then remove the platter and adjust those top pots so they are at the correct speed when the outside pitch control is centered, back and forth as needed until you get those top pots centered again.

You should also lubricate the motor, also easy from the top as that video shows and on Page 3, Fig 4-1. There's a special Technics type oil for that, but you can use a synthetic SAE 20 oil. Synthetic is best. But that will be expensive and you only need a few drops, so you can use (not synthetic) 3-in-1 MOTOR Oil which has a blue color scheme package, not normal 3-in-1 that has a red color scheme. A good hardware store will have the blue version, and the QD.

[​IMG][​IMG]

This is just typical and normal age maintenance for these models. But, of course, I can't be responsible if it doesn't work or something goes wrong. :) At the age of these units, it is possible, but not too likely yet, that there are real electronics problems.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
    bluemooze likes this.
  3. Vizzy

Thank you for your very detailed response and the link plus the pics of the oil and cleaner. I have the CRC QD "Marine" Electronic Cleaner (aqua/blue colored can) which I used previously, months ago when I was guessing what I should spray. It did seem to work somewhat better afterward. However, I may not have sprayed all of which you have suggested. I will go out and get the oil as soon as I get over a bit of a cold and such that I have now. I will then have to try this veey methodically, step-by-step, since you kindly provided so much instruction. In the meantime, I will download the manual - thank you! - and along with your info, really understand how to proceed. I will then do what I can for now with the spray and without disassembly. And I will see if that does the trick. If I need to disassemble, I will wait till I have the motor oil and am more over this cold or bug that I've got. Thank you for being so helpful. I will post here if anything is not clear to me. And I will certainly be back after I try this to let you know how things worked out. As you said, too, it could be age and amount of usage that is affecting it. Who knows? But I'd really be happy to get the speed entirely stable once again. I can still listen to records - because I want to! But there are always passages where the fluctuation is more obvious. Again, thanks, and I'll be posting here again.

4. Vizzy

I am trying to download the manual but when I press the button the phone screen momentarily goes to a black pdf screen but bounces right out of it. I have tried this a number of times. But it seems that it won't let me download the file. Maybe I need more storage. or will have to download it onto my laptop rather than my phone.

5. Vizzy

I see it is only 5.7 MB.

6. timind

timind phorum rezident

You can download the service manual on Vinylengine.com after you register.

Manimal likes this.
  7. Vizzy

Thanks. If I cannot use the first file without registering, I'll give this one a shot.

8. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

Maybe wikisend doesn't work well with a phone. I downloaded it from my link on wikisend on a PC and on Chromebook.

9. Vizzy

Okay, thanks. I won't be able to try downloading it onto my laptop till tomorrow at the earliest. I will try that first and let you know.

10. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

If it's an Android phone, it could have downloaded right into your Downloads folder silently except for that screen flash. Look in your Downloads folder, and if it's there, double press the filename and it should display.

11. timind

timind phorum rezident

Vinylengine is a great site if you plan on using and maintaining a vintage turntable. Many knowledgeable people there who are willing to advise. Cost nothing unless you wish to donate.

Another good site for info on vintage turntables is Audiokarma Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums .

12. Dr. J.

Dr. J. Music is in my soul

I just modded a SL-D2 yesterday in fact! Great table. I didn't have dissemble to fix the speed pot. My Deoxit comes with a long red "straw" applicator and I was able to hit it from the sides with the bottom plate off. It seemed to do the trick.

bluemooze likes this.
  13. harby

harby Forum Resident

Here's the service manual, I corrected the initial zoom and rotate all the pages correctly: Technics-SL-D2-Service.pdf

First use the stroboscobe to see if the speed is actually faltering or if its just fast or slow after the pot cleaning.

The inside fine adjustment trim pots under the platter can be exercised to clean them: with a screwdriver, turn them back and forth and try to return them back to the original position. You may then need to follow the manual's direction for fine tuning them again. Pin 24 of the IC can first be adjusted to 17.4V at 33 (per manual) using VR1 if disassembling, which gets you better than 1% accuracy.

Although the potentiometers are a good start, if they do not provide a solution to a wavering pitch, you'll probably need to look into failed components (likely capacitors, measurable in-circuit with an ESR LCR meter).

McLover likes this.
  14. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

You're welcome. I'm glad to try to help with that classic turntable.

I just looked at the Material Safety Data Sheets for both QD types on the CRC website, and the "Marine" type in the blue can is exactly the same as the standard type in the red can. That was the right stuff. And I've learned something too.

15. Vizzy

John,
    Thank you. I missed that last bit of information about the Marine can being the same as the red.
    Well, life being what it is at times, I failed to get around to downloading the manual on the Technics SL-D2 turntable with the link that you had provided for me. I still do not have internet at home (though I expect to remedy that soon!) and was unable to download it on my phone (as you had said) or get to somewhere with an Internet connection before it expired.
    I have been living with the wobbly speed long enough. I need to fix this.
    If you can be so kind and it's possible to provide me with the link just one more time, I will get it downloaded. Otherwise, I will have to make my best guesses in spraying it and hope it fixes the problem. Hopefully it is not a motor problem, as you mentioned it could be.

16. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

@harby above took the file I uploaded and straightened a few pages that were rotated in my file. His link is still active and seems to be permanent until he deletes it, so you can still get the file, in a better version, there. You're still welcome and thanks to @harby too.

17. Vizzy

JohnO and Harby,
    This time I did not procrastinate. I have downloaded the manual successfully, so I will read it over at home, decipher it and find the potentiometers and whatever else I should be cleaning. Hopefully it is not the motor and this will fix it. The last time I made my best guesses and cleaned the turntable, it did seem to work better. Thanks for your help. I will post again to follow up once I have cleaned it. If you have any further thoughts or suggestions, I certainly welcome them. Thanks again!

18. jacethecrowl

jacethecrowl Forum Resident

Wondering how this project turned out for you, as I've attempted precisely the same. I've sprayed and adjusted the VR1 & VR2 from the top, and did look under the hood, but not sure I follow harby's instruction:
    It's mostly fine and speed doesn't noticeably waver during play, I was just hoping to get 33 and 45 set so I wouldn't have to fine tune the pitch dial when switching between the two. It held for a couple records, but has since drifted. But if that's normal I won't sweat it.

Thanks all.

19. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Get Deoxit.

20. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

All this cleaning may not work if the problem is caps or an integrated circuit going bad inside, just to let you know. A failing or drifted cap could be messing with your speed. The place you need to get to know is you're going to DIY is Audiokarma.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.