Technics SL d202

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Milehigh, Nov 30, 2022.

1. Milehigh

Milehigh Active Member Thread Starter

Just acquired a Sl d202 (free) and am looking for a cart suggestion. What i have are an Ortofon 2m blue and an Ortofon 2m black. Would either of these work? I know there is a compliance thing that i know nothing about. If not one of these, Then any suggestions would be appreciated
    Running it with a Cambridge axr 100 and Swan HiVi 3.1 speakers. Have a nice 500+ record collection and looking for a nice cartridge for this vintage turntable.

Thanks
    Paul

timind likes this.
  2. Angry_Panda

Angry_Panda Pipe as shown, slippers not pictured

Either of those should work - while I can't find an effective mass for this exact table, the Technics tonearms tend to the low end of medium mass, so you're not too far out on the edges with most of their tables.

3. daytona600

daytona600 Forum Resident

2M okay
    Bought this SL-D202 new back in '81 when they first came out. It's been sitting idle for at least 15 years or more. Just took it out a couple of weeks ago and cleaned it up. . Bought new 2MM blue. Nice upgrade. It holds its speed perfectly.

Technics SL-D202 Turntable Reviews - The Vinyl Engine

bluemooze likes this.
  4. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

Nice score. Do you already have another turntable set-up? Those are expensive Orto carts you have there. 2M Black is a $700 cart. Both certainly enough for a free turntable!!

5. Milehigh

Thanks guys. Put the black on and it sounds pretty good. Spinning some Fleetwood Mac because i heard Christine McVie passed today.

timind likes this.
  6. Milehigh

Carts are a long story Boltman. Right now the Technics is my only turntable

7. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

Well, nice carts then! The D202 is automatic right?

8. zombiemodernist

zombiemodernist Forum Resident

I wouldn’t sweat the compliance with the 2M series, either should work fine, the tonearms on those tables have pretty wide compatibility. Black is obviously the superior to the Red in all respects. Personally didn’t like the 2M Red on a similar vintage Technics (1700 MK1). If you’re looking for something new, the ATVM95ML in a HS6 headshell works very well for me. A bit more of an ideal match and excellent tracking, on the slightly laid-back end of neutral sound with typical phono stage loading.

9. Milehigh

Its a semi auto

I will definitely look into the AT cart. Thanks for the suggestion