Technics SL-G700 Grand Class Network Streamer/Super Audio CD Player thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by russk, Jun 23, 2019.

1. russk

russk Forum Resident Thread Starter

I had one for 5 days and didn’t like the streaming interface and had decided to take the hit and pick up an SA-10. What question?

It worked great wired into my Verizon router and wireless and for Apple Airplay and CDs and SACDs. The only issue I had was the poor interface for streaming.

Didn’t use Bluetooth or the variable inputs, have all integrated amps at home.

George P likes this.
  2. George P

George P Notable Member

Can you say more about how the Ruby compares to the SA-10?

3. Dayfold

Dayfold Forum Resident

I did exactly the same thing, for the same reason!

4. russk

I’ve heard the D07. All great gear. Just felt the Marantz was better built and had the edge in the bass department. In reviewer terms I guess I would say the Marantz was a touch more full and tuneful where the Luxman was a bit more clear and insightful. Honestly though, hard pressed to tell the difference. I should really say I generally dig Marantz, Luxman, and Accuphase’s house sound, especially for disk spinners.

Build quality though. I don’t think anything beats the SA-10.

5. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Does the front panel knob work as a volume control in variable mode?

6. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Not even Accuphase?

7. russk

Only used the fixed output. So don’t really know. I wouldn’t expect it though. To get total control of everything it can do you have to download and use the App. It’s functionality really is crap. The software almost has a do it yourself feel while setting it up. I did notice while setting it up you can use the volume control on the remote when it’s set to variable.

Accuphase gear is great but they are completely over priced in the U.S. right down to the cheap plastic binding posts on their 10K integrateds. Though their disk spinners do feel better built. After playing with all those units I found the SA-10 to be the best and honestly I can’t imagine Luxman or Accuphase could offer a unit of that quality at that price if they wanted to.

8. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

9. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

What I like is the "comfy" drawer. It leaves quite a bit of space behind the cd, so when laying it down it helps avoid possible contact of it with the the faceplate. Not the case with most units out there, even Luxman. To illustrate:
    [​IMG]
    vs
    [​IMG]

Any other cd players with such "comfy" drawer you know of?

dadonred, soundboy and MikeJedi like this.
  10. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

I think these are made plastic with reason, it's not cutting corners.

11. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

MikeJedi likes this.
  12. russk

It’s a great disk player. No doubt. Just a clunky interface and software.

13. russk

Ehh. Check Luxman, the Yamaha a-s series, Pass Labs just to name a few. Build quality on the back end is better. He’ll build quality all around us a bit better.

14. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

No, no, can't agree. I trust Accuphase, they don't cheat. C'mon, they are top high end, would they put cheap connectors? Probably photos don't do justice to them. Luxman has also plastic connectors, only transparent. Yamaha's are bit fancier, but not necessarily better.

15. russk

Nah seen all of the above, multiple times, in person. Accuphase is great gear. All I’m saying is they are not worth the huge markup they get when the come to the US. There are lots of ways to get their gear without the markup but then you risk warranty issues.

Personally I don’t do the blind faith thing. Accuphase gear is nice but the company is limited by real world factors like cost of parts and metal work a smallish outfit has to pay and maintaining a profit margin. They have however burnished quite the reputation.

They are like the Rolex watch of the Hifi world. They are super nice but a lot of the value is pure marketing and manipulation.

16. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Just a few off topic words more... Actually, I see no marketing or manipulation about them. Reviews are so rare, almost non existent, with few exceptions in the past half decade. Very little info online. Maybe you talk about the myth that surrounds them. But show me another company with such continuity for almost 50 years. They are living vintage. Most authentic brand out there, that never went down to make a comeback. That comes at a price. Compared to them, the vintage revival of Yamaha, Teac, JBL or even Luxman looks like kitschy Chi-fi.
    Why are the markups so high out of Japan is a mystery to me. It's not that drastic with other brands. Getting Accuphase for the Japanese prices is bearable.

17. russk

Don’t get me wrong. Accuphase makes some great gear. I totally agree that they are a classic company and their history is impressive. There are other brands like them though. Klipsch, Rega, McIntosh, Audio Research, Tannoy, Linn to name a few.

I’m sure the actually company are great as far as companies go. If you can get the gear at the Japanese, Taiwanese, European price then it’s even a good deal. The American distributor tacks on a few extra grand or more on top of those prices and as far as schematics. Well those are treated like top secret alien technology.

Also for such a well known, long lived, respected brand there are very few dealers that carry them and the few in the U.S. that I’ve been to, well it’s like walking into a Rolex dealer and expecting to try a Sub on and talk about the watch.

Now Canada, Germany, Japan. Totally different experience. Though the prices aren’t much better in Canada.

18. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

This Technics looks like a solid piece for streaming Qoubuz Tidal etc and a really nice well built SACD chassis and MQA DSD etc. :)

19. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Not sure it can stream Qobuz.

20. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

The G700 can stream from most of the essential services – including Tidal, Spotify and Qobuz – and has MQA decoding and Chromecast built-in, making it almost universally adapted for contemporary listening styles.

Technics SL-G700 SACD player/network streamer
    JOURNEY TO THE DARK SIDE
    So, on the Network, and via Qobuz, I play Dark Side Of The Moon at 44.1/16 and it really does sound great, I have to say. There is subtlety, dynamics and detail aplenty. Again I don’t think I’m getting that level of separation of instruments I get with the LEEMA LIBRA, but then we are looking at a standalone DAC that costs the best part of three times what Technics are asking for this all singing all dancing Network Player/CD/SACD/DAC. I’m also sensing an ever so slight tizz to the very top-end frequencies, but you do have to be listening hard to hear it at all and have a highly resolving system. The slightly lazy sounding drumming towards the end of Time is really well-timed with the Technics and I am drawn to it very much.

Technics SL-G700 Network, CD and SACD Player | Hifi Pig

Last edited: Apr 27, 2021
  21. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

That's good then. Strange they don't mention it on the product page.

MikeJedi likes this.
  22. BabyEvan

BabyEvan Member

Interesting point! My hand was already on the CD, and the tray was still coming out. I was surprised how far that tray comes out. Lol

23. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

Is this unit worth the price based on the sound quality when used as strictly as CD/Sacd playback system. Not interested in the other features such as streaming as I already have a good Dac/streamer. Is the sound alone worth the money?

24. ClemC

ClemC Well-Known Member

I think so. Have had mine for about 1 year now and had a Sony SCD-XA5400ES before it, a Marantz SA-11S2, and a Wadia 830 before that. The Technics is more dynamic and detailed than the Sony, which was an improvement from the Marantz. Having SACD is sort of a mixed blessing as some sound better than their CD versions, while others don't. Either way the Technics is the best of the four. Extremely good build quality, on par with the Wadia. Only issue is with the software, and I don't do any streaming yet, so it doesn't affect my usage.

grx8 and Khorn like this.
  25. George P

George P Notable Member

Thanks for sharing this. Am I correct in assuming that the SA-11S2 is on par with the Marantz SA-KI Ruby?