Technics SL-G700 Grand Class Network Streamer/Super Audio CD Player thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by russk, Jun 23, 2019.

1. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

How many pre-emphased CD’s do you have?

I think I have 4. For me, it is much more important that all non-emphased CD’s, along with all my SACDs being played with max sound quality.

2. dadonred

dadonred Life’s done you wrong so I wrote you all this song

how are pre-emph cd’s signified or marked?

3. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

They are not, none of them.

4. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

Pre-enph cd’s was a solution for a problem that in practise did not exist.

dadonred likes this.
  5. dadonred

See p. 62 - this is the DAC chip that is in the SL G-700 and this is a note about its de-emphasis capabilities. (I am not an expert on this capability nor on this chip.). https://www.akm.com/content/dam/doc.../audio-dac/ak4497eq/ak4497eq-en-datasheet.pdf

You can read earlier in this thread and a related thread: this Japanese IC manufacturer had a fire with unknown impact on the quantity of this particular device. I do not know if they fabbed this themselves or outsourced it. At any rate, when / if quantity runs out, that would require a redesign of the SL G700.

Capt Fongsby likes this.
  6. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

7. dadonred

That’s what it sounded like to me. But I was curious if there were any ways of knowing whether a CD had it or not. Seems like it was used in 80s with unknown amount into the 90s and 2000s. This is not something I’m concerned with.

8. dadonred

Meaning that it can de-emphasize the related 10kHz pre-emphasis stuff? (I really don’t have a horse in this race.)

9. dadonred

I’ll add one more potential note: the SL G700 has filter options for the output analog section but it’s poorly documented. You can change them via the app, but their data sheet only discusses ‘Off’ or ‘Mode 1.’ I think another user discussed that here but didn’t seem to hear much and stuck with ‘Off’ (which is what I do). Sorry if this is in no way helpful to the question.

10. Capt Fongsby

Capt Fongsby Music is the best. ... And cats.

11. Capt Fongsby

I don't have the exact number — it's never been an issue with any players I've owned so far — but I have lots of old CDs. I know of some, like my CP35-3017 DSOTM and my Black Sabbath CLACDs/NELCDs, and I'd very much prefer them to be playable. And I can't see any conflict between max sound quality and the ability to deal with pre-emphasised CDs.

Anyways, the datasheet dadonred provided a link to, indicates it's a non-issue. And that's a boon in my book at least.

12. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

This morning, I finally got my Technics player in my house, after nearly 6 months wait :)
    At work now, but will spin some disc's when back home. The quality feel is very good.

Anyone knows which disc transport that has been used? A Technics made? Denon? or...?

13. Capt Fongsby

Congrats! Looking forward to your review(s).

According to this CD-Player-DAC-Transport List I found on the web, the transport is a Tohei DVD TD-7000-OP.

(Which tells me nothing, I'm afraid...)

14. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

Thanks so much! :)
    Played about 5 hour now, so far everything good. The transport is very much on the same level as my Yamaha SCD 1000 in tracking time and lack of noise. That’s good!

I will wait a couple of days to give my opinion, every components need some time to break in.
    Btw, today I also got some MQA CD’s from Japan. I set the Technics MQA coding «On» and listened to Joni Mitchell «Blue», a new 2019 mastering from the original master tapes done by Justin Smith, Warner Elektra Studios. It sounded very good! Is it allowed to say that for MQA coding? :hide:

ToniFromMars likes this.
  15. dadonred

Panasonic: TZTYH01AX8E Panasonic Loader Unit

Espen R likes this.
  16. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

Listening report: On my day 3 now, and this Technics starts to sound incredible!

I have only used it as a disc player for CD, MQA CD and SACDs. Don't have WiFi at home now.
    This player sounds very clean and (crystal) clear. It has that "master quality sound". By that I mean it difference each track on a disc very well in regards of tonality, quality of the recording and mix, etc. The tonality is pretty much perfect, Imo. Highs are sweet, bass is very good. Midrange is very analog-like, so to say.

SACD has that large sound space with sharp focus and speed of transients.
    Bought some HQ MQA CD's from Japan; Joni Mitchell "Blue", Rickie Lee Jones S/T and Karajan Beethoven 1963 . When decoded on this player, they sounded extremely good. Very clear and clean. That classical disc sounded very dynamic when decoded.
    Also standard CD's sounds very good! 40 years after the release of the CD format, old CDs continue to sound better when converters and electronics improve. At least in my ears. Something to wonder about.

I think I hear 11 years progress i D/A converter design with this player. I had my modified Yamaha CD-S1000 player for 12 years now and it has served my well with hours and hours of musical pleasure. But this Technics is better. It is a very musical player that connects me to all kind of music.
    I think that my Yamaha A-S3200 amp (love this amp!!:love:) and this Technics player make great synergi together. It's a damn musical combo.

Technics SLG700: digital done right!:)

Last edited: Sep 28, 2022
  17. Jack Skowron

Jack Skowron Well-Known Member

I've been figuring out this player, do like it a bunch. The app for Android is hit or miss, some days it works great, other times it won't see the unit.
    I was having trouble connecting an external hard drive-it does see them, but I think my issue is the drives are too large (4 Tb). I have lots of music on a hard drive, likely have to break it up into separate drives to get it to work with this unit.
    Which brings me to NAS-is that a better option? I really should back up all my music anyway, I see it's supposed to connect to the G700, does anyone have experience with this? Does this get around the limit on the size of discs? (as an aside, put some music on a flash drive stick and connected it via the usb port on the front, works fine, but it'll take many sticks to utilize it this way).
    Thanks

18. Jack Skowron

Jack Skowron Well-Known Member

I have a number of SACD's (nowhere near what I have on CD and vinyl, maybe in the 50 range or so), seems to me they should be inexpensive at this point, as a medium with not too much support from labels or consumers (I did find a few at bargain prices, but not many). Does anyone have a good source?

19. dadonred

I use a 2x4TB / RAID1 NAS. I connect the G700 to an ethernet switch with ethernet to the NAS (no WiFi). No problems. Also the app is fine on my iPhone. Have had no problems with it.

20. RWAudio

RWAudio Forum Resident

Does this player play burned DVD-Rs with DSD 128x files on them?

21. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

No. Only CD/CD-R/CD-RW/SACD 2-ch
    If you want to play DSD 128, that would be either by streaming or USB in front, or connected to extarnal hard drive in back of the machine.

22. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

A question about how to deactive the Auto-off function. Is it only by the Technics app you can do it?

23. dadonred

From the manual:
    Auto Off Function
    While the setting is set to “On”, this unit automatically enters standby mode for saving energy, if no sound output without operation such as pressing buttons, etc. for approx. 20 minutes.
    • The factory default is “On”. To disable this function, select “Off”.
    Note
    • The setting is stored even if the power is turned off and on.
    • “AUTO OFF” is displayed 3 minutes before this unit is turned off.

Also:
    AUTO OFF
    The unit has been left unused for about 20 minutes and will shut down within a minute. (⇒ 76) Press any button to cancel it.

24. dadonred

25. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member