Technics SL1400 has more audio on left channel

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by 420JJJazz666, Oct 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 420JJJazz666

420JJJazz666 Hasta Siempre, Comandante Thread Starter

Hello,
    I have been experiencing an issue with my Technics Sl1400 recently where more audio is coming from the left channel than from the right channel. I am running a Shure V15 Type IV cartridge with a JICO SAS HE. This cartridge has been on the turntable since the 70s, and I was wondering if perhaps it is the issue.

Ruling out groove wear, I have played the same record on my girlfriend's turntable (Marantz 6025 that serves as our living room deck) and haven't experienced the same issue.

Do I need to upgrade the wiring on the tonearm? Do I need a new cartridge, and does anyone have any recommendations as to what a good replacement would be? Do I need to somehow restore the cartridge I already have?

Thank you

2. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

One step at a time: reverse the L and R turntable leads on the rear of your receiver/amp and confirm the imbalance moves to the opposite side.

coolhandjjl likes this.
  3. 420JJJazz666

420JJJazz666 Hasta Siempre, Comandante Thread Starter

So I tried a few things:
    -I switched the turntable's left and right RCAs on the amp, the quiet channel still sounded quiet while coming out of the other speaker
    -I switched the headshell/cart over to the Marantz (per a recommendation on another board) and did not experience the volume imbalance.
    -Just to make sure I wasn't crazy, I A/B'ed a song from an album that I have on both CD and vinyl, my girlfriend and I agreed the imbalance was noticeable (although not immediately discernible before the A/B).
    I am going to assume its either the RCA cables or the tonearm wires at this point.

4. timind

timind phorum rezident

Have you swapped the leads on the back of the cart? That would tell you if the cart's the problem.

5. dreamingtree1855

dreamingtree1855 Filthy vinyl spinning hipster millennial

Get a multi meter and test the continuity of the four leads with the tips of the cables. Cables crapping out on these old technics decks is super common, fixing it just requires a soldering iron it’s pretty easy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.