Technics Turntable P – Mount Cartridges Advice?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ZB79, Nov 21, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Cartridges aren't your problem. Styli are your problem. Genuine styli are your problem. And many nice cartridges for T4p mount have styli which have not been produced in many years, the supplies are dwindling. Many aftermarkets don't track at the same forces genuine do.

harby likes this.
  2. McLover

McLover Senior Member

This is a discontinued cartridge I recommend for these exact reasons, stylus support is still there, and widely available from Ortofon.

Curiosity likes this.
  3. Yuan

Yuan Member

The stock cart of SL10 is pretty good, technics 310MC

4. The Dragon

The Dragon Forum Resident

Genuine styli for some specific cartridges may be hard to come by, true. But, the same applies for any out-of-production cartridge. In that case, if you are really married to a particular cartridge, a retipper can repair the worn original. The real down side I see to P-mount these days is the prices for NOS or really nice condition ones have hit a high point for sure. I have considered selling part of my collection because of this. A no brainer to get great performance without fear of stylus supply issues is either a Shure or Technics cartridge with a Jico SAS stylus. Unless Jico goes out of business soon, a fresh supply of high performance styli should be available for at least the foreseeable future. LPGear has good stylus options for Audio Technica cartridges. Of course Ortofon is an option, but I have never been a fan.

5. eyewanders

eyewanders Forum Resident

Frankly, while what you're getting at here is correct, it's complicating matters for the OP. Many aftermarket stylii don't track at the same forces as genuine do, regardless of mount. But conversely many aftermarket stylii do track at the same forces as genuine. It's simply a matter of using replacements that are vetted and well liked/reviewed, be it cartridge and/or related stylii. But beyond this, in the case of "genuine stylii"... few of these were ever produced by the brand under which they were sold. They were made by ODMs for the mounting needs and FF contracted by respective brands.... just as most are today, though many of those brands have left the marketplace. Excel, for instance, has (and have had) a number of brands for which they produce, and it's only recently due to changes in the landscape of the market that their actual name is now well known.

At this point there is no "problem" per se. There are fewer options all around than there were many years ago, but compared to a decade ago things are looking up.
    But again, most of this is neither here nor there insofar as the OP's needs/questions are concerned.

6. anorak2

anorak2 Forum Resident

Actually with the Ortofon OMT/OMP I mentioned above it's the reverse. The styli are compatible with the very popular Ortofon OM and Concorde series who will likely continue to be made for decades. The hard part is getting the cartridges.

McLover and eyewanders like this.
  7. harby

harby Forum Resident

I have NOS Japan AT92ECD, 0.3 elliptical cartridges I've been sitting on for a while. The only thing I'd consider an upgrade would be the long-discontinued, $200+ on eBay, ATS8008/ATLP331 line contact stylus for this cartridge.

ZB79 likes this.
  8. eyewanders

eyewanders Forum Resident

Have you tried any of the LP gear replacement stylii? You may well be pleasantly surprised.

9. McLover

McLover Senior Member

True, but that cartridge line has genuine stylus support. Which is why I recommend hunting down a OMT or OM-P body. This is a path with a future, that is high quality.

anorak2 likes this.
  10. McLover

McLover Senior Member

What part of importance is stylus availability today, which track at the same forces as original to a T4p mount owner? Answer. It is CRITICAL. This owner has little leeway on tracking force options. If the T4p mount owner is using his cartridge in a 1/2" mount adapter, he can often successfully use the stylus which is otherwise excellent, but requires more than regulation tracking force. Bear in mind, many cartridges made for T4p/P mount applications were also adaptations of then existing cartridges used in the 1/2" mount applications.

11. ZB79

ZB79 Active Member Thread Starter

Back from hiatus,
    I want to thank all the posters for their detailed replies & info,
    I'm going to start with P- Mounts and once I acquire a good 1/2" mount table I'll consider the quality carts.
    Right know it's time to listen to Vinyl!.

Cheers;

DocShipe and eyewanders like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.