Tedeschi Trucks Band I Am The Moon quadruple album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Miles1968, Apr 20, 2022.

1. Skydog7

Skydog7 Forum Resident

2. bholz

bholz Forum Resident

Just got notification that it will be delivered tomorrow. :)

Bossyman likes this.
  3. Bossyman

Bossyman Forum Resident

My autographed deluxe edition out for delivery. Sweeeet.

ssmith3046 and bholz like this.
  4. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

Bummed that I have not yet received a shipping notice. I know I ordered and paid for my order on April 30...

5. gdpeck

gdpeck Forum Resident

Got my 4 lp bundle yesterday. So far I've only listened to part 1 and part 2. I'm happy and sad that I Am the Moon has been a big part of my summer this year, as receiving the lps was a bit anti-climactic. The packaging of the albums is ok, and part 1 and 2 play nicely on my setup, and seem to be good quality pressings. I appreciate the inclusion of plastic sleeves, and the notes about Layla and Majnun in part 1. I think the vinyl sounds nice, and maybe a bit more musical than the downloads (I downloaded 192/24 copies), but it isn't a revelation. Still happy to have all this great music on vinyl, and even more happy to have seen TTB live this summer.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2022
  6. lsipes1965

lsipes1965 Forum Resident

Out for delivery

7. bholz

bholz Forum Resident

Mine was just delivered. Nice package and I look forward to spinning the lps. I appreciated having the various digital formats available as each lp was released. I used the WAVs to burn 2 CDs, the mp3s for playing on my iPhone and other devices that can't play the ALAC. ALAC has been used for office listening and streaming to my main system.

8. Neonpark

Neonpark Forum Resident

Love it

9. lsipes1965

lsipes1965 Forum Resident

Well, dead quiet dead flat pristine master. Happy happy

10. StingRay5

StingRay5 Important Impresario

Amazon says I'm supposed to receive the first two LPs on Friday (by which time the forecast says our mad heat wave should be over), and the last two early next week. Looking forward to them! And hoping they sound more dynamic than the HD downloads.

11. allbrosca

allbrosca Dancing Madly Backwards

From Amazon.ca Sept 21 for 2 and 3. No date yet for 1 and 4!

12. lazydawg58

lazydawg58 Know enough to know how much I don't know

I believe I pre-ordered from their site? No email yet. I hope they send all four at once.

13. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

It appears that the Bandcamp downloads aren't great. When listening with headphones at work, I noticed clipping on Vol. IV after I purchased all four, and it is pretty bad, especially on Track 3 "D'Gary." At 1:00 in when Susan sings "hold me closer, don't let go..." it is a good example of this clipping distortion.

The distortion is not on the Qobuz or Apple Music streaming services. It seems to be on every version of the Bandcamp download I tried: WAV, FLAC, ALAC, and just streaming service, if you just want to check out the distortion without purchasing them.

I will put in an email to Bandcamp tomorrow to see if they can investigate and perhaps I will need to get a refund and purchase them through Qobuz. Really sucks. I haven't played the rest with headphones so haven't analyzed every track, but I hope it isn't all four volumes that are compromised.

Anyone with the downloads they received from their LP purchase or the CDs want to confirm if it exists on yours?

14. spinyn

spinyn Senior Member

I agree they have the best sound going. It has been that way for a long time as I have seen them at least once a year since the inception at lots of different venues and the sound is always excellent. I saw a show from the balcony at the Joy Theater in NOLA in 2013 with PA stacks pointed right at us that may have been the best concert sound I ever heard (this side the Dead's Wall Of Sound.)

Think how many open mics there has to be for 12 musicians and 2 drum sets and there never is any feedback or a late volume rise for a soloist. I also have noticed how everyone is positioned in the mix in the place where they are on the stage to a degree I don't notice for other bands. They also boost Derek's guitar and Susan's vocals just enough to be slightly louder than the rest, sitting just on top where they should be. They also use dynamics better than most bands as I know Derek likes to bring things way down sometimes. He has said he loves playing the vaudeville theaters because you can do that there.

I have been buying the CDs from my local record store but wish there was a slipcase or a box that holds all four. I did burn them to 2 CDs for the car. That is a lot of new music that they seem able to add to the setlists at will. Heck, "Exile On Main St." fits on one CD...

Hats off to the band for this awesome release, how they chose to do it and for the killer summer tour with Los Lobos! They are on a major roll.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2022
    Bossyman, gdpeck and Skydog7 like this.
  15. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

It was part of summer this year for me as well. Not that summer is over here in the Arizona desert but I understand what you mean. I could use a few more installments. The Moon Returns!

Bossyman and Kristofa like this.
  16. Vapour

Vapour Forum Resident

All four LP's purchased here, downunder , at my local record store. Don't understand the delay 'up there';).

Skydog7 and ssmith3046 like this.
  17. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Obviously, you're closer to the moon downunder.

Vapour and Skydog7 like this.
  18. mike s in nyc

mike s in nyc Forum Resident

So I haven't heard any of this 'moon' release (or these four releases, however you count it).
    I have to say that TTB is a great band in terms of the playing and arrangements- saw them live once at the Beacon theatre here in nyc and it was excellent.

I'm less a fan of the band in terms of their songwriting, tho--- its 'good but not great' based on the last three or so albums of theirs I have (whose names escape me right now, which is part of the problem- just dont seem like there are a lot of really memorable songs they write, as songwriters, - as gifted as they are as a band.

can anyone comment on the songwriting, lyrics, melodies, etc on the new work? similar to the prior stuff, or a step up, or down?

thanks!

19. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

Two in so far and I think its better than the last couple of albums its all very listenable, and considering the way its written very focussed

lucan_g and mike s in nyc like this.
  20. Skydog7

Skydog7 Forum Resident

well played

21. Skydog7

Skydog7 Forum Resident

fantastic post.

I’m born deaf in my right ear so the dynamics about stage positioning in the mix aren’t something I’m able to hear. I do know that when I’m sitting to the left of the soundboard and “inside” the vertical speakers, I am in the sweetest of sweet spots, somewhat to the point I feel like the mix is made just for me. And that is the mark of a really killer sound system.

Same as the studio albums, lots of depth there, which I can pick up with special stereo-in-one-ear headphones I bought.

I appreciate the attention the band plays to sound.

spinyn likes this.
  22. Skydog7

Skydog7 Forum Resident

so I’m good with much of their entire catalog, but I will say Gabe Dixon has added an entirely new element to their songwriting, and there are some GREAT songs on IATM.

Start with the first disc and work your way forward slowly. That’s what I did. And those first 5 songs are really damn good. Enough to wet your whistle.

I genuinely hope you enjoy it as much as I have. I’m really looking forward to the Beacon shows this year.

23. allbrosca

allbrosca Dancing Madly Backwards

Received shipping notices overnight. All 4 arriving today! A nice surprise!

24. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

As predicted... I now regret not getting the deluxe box. Some day I'll learn. These are all fantastic.

25. Skydog7

Skydog7 Forum Resident

it’s a gorgeous package