Tedeschi Trucks Band I Am The Moon quadruple album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Miles1968, Apr 20, 2022.

1. lazydawg58

lazydawg58 Know enough to know how much I don't know

Listening to all 4 lps multiple times, really enjoying. But sometimes I feel like their is a little distortion on some of the tracks, like the needle was allowed a little too far or too long in the red. It was to to point that I was second guessing if my speakers were the issue. I changed them out but still noticed it. I cleaned the stylus multiple times because it was kind of like when a little speck of dust gets on. It always appears clean. I adjusted the bass and treble on the receiver. Perhaps it is intended with that vintage fat Gibson guitar Derek plays? Perhaps it is percussion intentionally? I'm questioning everything now. :hide:

2. TerpStation

TerpStation "Music's not for everyone."

Can you point out the specific places? I've gotten through a few sides and think it sounds really good.....perhaps noticed what Bobby Tis was talking about above just a touch in Susan's vocal in D'gary. But have only played it once on vinyl and it was subtile, if there. Dgary an amazing track by the way that has a great 3d feel. Bobby Tis also above referenced the old time mic they used on So Long Savior which distort a at high levels, but intentional here for feel.

lazydawg58 likes this.
  3. lazydawg58

I'm actually noticing it on other records now. It's like the warmth has been diminished. It's more metallic? A sharpness to the sound? Could it be the caps on my receiver just diminished their sound quality? It is vintage but was recapped in 2015. Would the difference appear that abruptly. I assumed it would be much more gradual to the point it would be hard to suddenly notice. Or could it be the stylus is worn out? If gets used about 3-4 hours a day on average and it is about a year or so old. I might post something under equipment and see if anyone has some suggestions. I do have other receivers/amps and carts I can switch out if need be.

TerpStation likes this.
  4. TerpStation

TerpStation "Music's not for everyone."

double check allignament and counterweight of cart i suppose? not sure what it could be....

lazydawg58 likes this.
  5. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Have a hard time believing a quality stylus would be worn out with a year's worth of daily use...

lazydawg58 likes this.
  6. bholz

bholz Forum Resident

I finally got thru them all this evening. I only noticed a little distortion on one vocal. I wasn’t listening critically as I was on my deck with the windows open listening. Too nice of an evening to be inside. I can say I did not notice this distortion at all when listening to the ALAC versions in my office over the summer.

lazydawg58 likes this.
  7. lazydawg58

Yes I think it is something with the system. I've got some trouble shooting ahead of me. I played it on my other system and wasn't hearing the issues, sounded excellent. I even did a you tube video review on it.

8. lazydawg58

I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not? I've probably got 1,000 hours on it. An Ortofon Super OM 10, not high end by any means, but good quality. :shrug:

9. Highwaystar

Highwaystar Forum Resident

Just got the individual LPs from HMV (UK). Have played the first one - very crankable. LPs were fairly covered in white dust and paper fragments. Top spine damaged on all four as well as a corner compressed on all four - the latter is from too-tight shrink wrap and I wonder if the top spine damage is the same culprit.

Once cleaned the first LP sounded lovely and the artwork is of course brilliant.

Pasaquan reminded me of those big instrumental jams ABB and Hendrix did on ELL. The drum solos sounded amazing.

10. lazydawg58

I up loaded this to You Tube a few days ago, after several listens to each album. I'd love to hear feedback from the members here.

Highwaystar likes this.
  11. Highwaystar

I'll oblige, albeit with a caveat...in that I don't know when I'll have time to fully watch a 30 minute plus video on the topic. Might you consider splitting it and it being a bit more episodic?

I have skipped through and listened to parts though. Your enthusiasm, knowledge and eloquence definitely comes through and coming from the grimy north of the UK I'm probably misjudging this but your accent seems at least mildly appropriate to the subject matter of a southern band!

It does sound like you touch on the storyline and deeper info so I'll try and catch up more when time allows and fancy takes.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2022
    lazydawg58 likes this.
  12. Highwaystar

Have listened to three LPs now and am very impressed. Very warm sound for very warm music and what the format is made for. I still favour the second LP but I don't know if the third might be starting to edge into second place from the first. TTB is more of an ensemble thing than the compilations of Derek solos on YouTube would have you believe and he doesn't IMO often let go that much on record.

But there are two solos that have some really notable things in on LP3 for me - the discordant octave effect on 'Gravity' (but it isn't an effect - it's a technique afforded by the open tuning and a monster player) and the resonant feedback stuff on 'Take Me As I Am'. All that from plugging straight into an amp.

Susan shines on guitar on 'Yes We Will' too. A bit Hendrix-y in parts.

ABBDutchFan and lazydawg58 like this.
  13. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I don't mind this, though. You still gotta start with songs, and kinda like Phish, I am glad to have more composition-oriented studio albums that make the live shows even more special by virtue of being something totally different than the band's objective while recording. The talent level in TTB is absolutely off the charts, but it wouldn't matter if they weren't amassing a great catalog of songs.

bonus, OhioHead, Taxman and 3 others like this.
  14. Highwaystar

I don't disagree in the slightest - but for example I have a friend who is a guitar nut like me and he knows them primarily by Derek's reputation. He was asking if Derek is ripping everywhere and I was like, nope! It's an ensemble thing. I think they are almost more like a soul band nowadays to be honest.

15. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

There's enough bluesy jam bands out there...I agree with your last assessment and I am absolutely here for it. Obviously they're always going to be a band rooted in the past, but I'm happy to see them head closer to Mad Dogs & Englishmen than the Allman Brothers (as much as I love the ABB).

Taxman, lazydawg58 and Highwaystar like this.
  16. lazydawg58

Thanks for giving it a look. I probably should have either condensed it down or split it into parts. I do tend to be longwinded as is the Southern way. :agree: Everyone needs a good editor!

Skydog7 likes this.
  17. Skydog7

Skydog7 Forum Resident

I’m looking forward to it and as a fellow southerner will probably have zero objection to the long-windedness.

lazydawg58 likes this.
  18. lazydawg58

I'm looking forward to hearing your impressions. Thanks.

19. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident

Did anyone get the box set from Fantasy? Mine has shipped yet...

20. Mulroydave

Mulroydave Forum Resident

I’m still waiting too

21. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

I would personally purchase a replacement stylus if you have 1,000 hours on your OM10 and hold off playing expensive LPs until you can install it.

lazydawg58 likes this.
  22. Skydog7

Skydog7 Forum Resident

23. lazydawg58

Skydog7 and gdpeck like this.
  24. OhioHead

OhioHead Forum Resident

Pasaquan is phenomenal live, the studio version is :fire, I caught 2 this summer and I enjoyed every moment of the 15 - 20 minute exploration, this could be hearsay, Pasaquan is even better then a vintage ABB instrumental jam!

Skydog7, StingRay5 and lazydawg58 like this.
  25. OhioHead

OhioHead Forum Resident

If you TTB fans are not familiar w/ Live Music Archive, do a Google + TTB, a lot of the shows were taped and posted over the summer.

I am confident Pasaquan was played every night (summer tour 2022) towards the end of show and the folks who opted to listen each night were given a unique treat!

Need to get my Cincy/Dayton masters to a buddy to be posted……..