Tedeschi Trucks Band I Am The Moon quadruple album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Miles1968, Apr 20, 2022.

1. spinyn

spinyn Senior Member

Sonny pretty much exists in a world of his own. No one plays like he does. I just saw him at Jazz Fest when I went to the Blues Tent after Boz Scaggs did a fantastic "Loan Me A Dime" in the middle of his set. (I grew up in the Bay Area in the 60's where Boz was huge and really wanted to see him again.) As I headed over from the Big Stage with Boz doing "Lowdown," the sound there faded just as Sonny's came up from the Tent. It was like a masterful DJ fade...in real life.

I wandered down the side of the Blues Tent as Sonny was playing one of his speed metal instrumentals and the entire crowd was still like they were mesmerized. Got all the way to the front facing the video screen with the PA right there super loud. That was cool 'cuz you could watch Sonny's hands in the video close ups. Again, no one plays like that. The guy next to me turned to me and asked, "Are there only three guys up there?" Yup...

I was lucky enough to see Sonny and Derek play together at a TTB show in Lafayette a few years ago, on "Going Down Slow," as I recall. They went off at the end and after about five minutes, you couldn't tell who was playing what, they had intermingled so completely.

One thing is Sonny plays basically the same set every time. Derek is more versatile. Both are absolute masters at the very top of the heap.

ARK, Reid Smith, TerpStation and 3 others like this.
  2. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

I put on the CD for the first time this morning and really dug it. I think
    it's their strongest original material yet. Hopefully this is just the tip of
    the iceberg - I'd like to hear some all-out rocking. I loved the instrumental
    even if it's just `Mountain Jam' without Donovan's theme. Nonetheless, a
    blissful 12 minutes. Bring on volume two!

Last edited: Jun 4, 2022
    Davmoco, TerpStation, bholz and 3 others like this.
  3. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I listened to it for the first time this morning and loved it. Absolutely loved it. Yes, vol II can't come soon enough.

Skydog7, bholz and Bossyman like this.
  4. markp

markp I am always thinking about Jazz.

Pre-ordered the final set.

ssmith3046 likes this.
  5. chrisf

chrisf Well-Known Member

I think this may be a file size limit on Bandcamp. I recall buying from Bandcamp an Explosions In The Sky album (I think) which were all long tracks and it was 16/44, but was 24/96 on HD Tracks etc. I used the contact artist button on Bandcamp to ask why and one of their staff replied it was file size related and sent me a link to an alternate download of the full hi-res. You may want to contact them to ask.

mraulino likes this.
  6. gdpeck

gdpeck Forum Resident

I pre-ordered the 4 lp set which includes downloads. My ALAC download also had first 4 tracks 192/24 and Pasquan at 44.1/16. So this doesn't seem to be a bandcamp only issue. I also have Apple Music and it shows all 5 tracks as 192/24.

7. I have pre-ordered the vinyl box set and got the email from the official UK store a couple of days ago. I did download the five tracks in FLAC format, and it was the same thing, the long instrumental is only in 16/44, the rest is high-res.

Since the instrumental is my favorite track of this release, I sure would love to have it in high-res.

Best regards,
    Roland

8. Davmoco

Davmoco Forum Resident

This is certainly a thoughtfully conceived, prepared, and performed album. The musical experience is exquisite, the liners notes are some of the best I've read in a long time, and watching the film after reading what the album is all about and about all that is in it was illuminating.

This CD will get a lot of play in my car, and I look forward to the discovering a lot of details I missed in my first listens. I'm also looking forward to the next three parts of this work.

9. Riktator

Riktator Surfer of the Audio Waves

Well, they are both instrumentals and Mountain Jam was taken in so many directions beyond the theme by Truck/Haynes, so it isn't a stretch to "hear" Mountain Jam in Pasaquan. I am blown away by the whole release and Pasaquan leaves me wanting more...NOW! I've been a Tedeschi fan from the beginning and had given up on the ABB until Derek and Warren reset the bar, but this combination has been on a serious trajectory since putting their own (and the ABB) bands aside. Derek has always been an alien with his SG but seems to be going beyond that now. Pasaquan...whew!

Skydog7, ssmith3046 and TerpStation like this.
  10. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Nobody's better than Sonny Landreth as a player. But as noted, Derek seems to have more vision as a composer/bandleader. Sonny seems content to be the virtuoso guy that people like Buffett and Hiatt can call on.

lucan_g and lazydawg58 like this.
  11. PhoffiFozz

PhoffiFozz Forum Resident

I love when I go to write a response and I don't have to because someone else has already said it perfectly. Thank you.

lsipes1965 and TerpStation like this.
  12. Mullin

Mullin Forum Resident

I picked it up on Friday and I like it.... Pasaquan is obv the standout track

13. Mulroydave

Mulroydave Forum Resident

Awaiting the vinyl later in the year but got the download from bandcamp and it’s excellent . Great to hear Gabe develop in the band and it feels like a real band effort. Pasaquan does have that Mountain Jam feel for sure. All the songs are strong.

14. ssmith3046

Every track is a standout track for me. 35 minutes of musical bliss for me.

15. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

This one has grown on me after multiple listens, but still not my favorite work of theirs. By all means, that doesn't mean it's not good. It's just a little too mellow, I feel like most of the songs are at the point they are about to take off when they end.

16. ssmith3046

What's your favorite release so far?

17. WarEagleRK

Made Up Mind is my favorite studio album. I think they have always been far better of a live act than in the studio.

walrus, Coltrane811 and ssmith3046 like this.
  18. Dunedin

Dunedin Forum Resident

I received an email that the last track has been upgraded, and is available at the link in the original email.

rjstauber and gdpeck like this.
  19. bholz

bholz Forum Resident

Me too.

20. Skydog7

Skydog7 Forum Resident

repeated listens has only made the record grow on me.

“Circles ‘Round the Sun” is seriously psychedelic, and I love Derek’s call & response with himself toward the beginning.

But there’s no tune I do not love.

bholz likes this.
  21. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

That's true, but I still enjoy studio sets from those type of bands. Like, I think Phish and TTB and Umphrey's and the like make good, and occasionally great studio LP's, and it requires them to focus on the compositions. Like, I don't think I'd appreciate the Fillmore East "Whipping Post" as much if the original studio version didn't exist to remind me that it's a great song, not just a vehicle for jamming.

ARK and WarEagleRK like this.
  22. WarEagleRK

Don't get me wrong, I definitely enjoy TTB's studio work including most of this one.

walrus likes this.
  23. StingRay5

StingRay5 Important Impresario

Listening to samples on ProStudioMasters. My immediate reaction is that it sounds... compressed. PSM reports DR 7 for the album, and my ears agree. Real shame as the music is lovely. Their other albums on PSM are all at least DR 9. I hope that's just the digital mastering and the vinyl will be more dynamic.

lsipes1965 and Tuck1977 like this.
  24. Alex D

Alex D Forum Resident

I COMPLETELY forgot that this was being released last week-glad I hit this forum to be reminded!

LOVE this first volume-gorgeous music-making. Bring on volume 2!

Skydog7 and ssmith3046 like this.
  25. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

Don't have a fully-formed opinion to share yet, but, I grinned from ear to ear the entire time while listening!

Skydog7 and ssmith3046 like this.