Teena Marie (The Wild & Peaceful Thread)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ando here, Aug 28, 2017.

1. ando here

ando here Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hey there,

Has it really been ten years since she passed? Wow. I remember the day it happened. Seemed like a dream. But she's with us in the spirit of her music!

Yeah, go here for a more-or-less complete discography of Lady Tee. I believe Spotify has most of her material for download and/or streaming. Tidal never impressed me, to be frank, except they do have a monopoly on artists like Beyonce post BDay.

And, yeah, I've got Beautiful on my hard drive. Teena's cds are a mixed bag in terms of audio quality. Guess it's safest to go for any SACD version of her albums, yhough that's not exactly a guarantee of smart re-engineering.

2. rockindownthehighway

rockindownthehighway Not interested

Spotify has only MP3, so not interesting for me. Sorry, I didn't mean ten years. I meant almost ten years. Thanks for the link, I will check it out!

whatnow? and ando here like this.
  3. ando here

Huh??? Spotify streams its music in the OGG Vorbis format, which will play on most android or iOS players (iPhone).

4. rockindownthehighway

Ok, still a compressed format and not what I'm looking for. Thanks.

5. ando here

What are you looking for?

6. rockindownthehighway

Hires all the way, baby! :) I can't see any reason in 2019 to spend time with compressed audio. Everybody has enough storage and bandwidth. I get 70Mbps down over 4G here...

I thought T/M's discography might be bigger. It looks like Tidal has all but one album. In several cases they have multiple versions of one, so not bad.

ando here likes this.
  7. harmonica98

harmonica98 Senior Member

The 12" remix is great, much better than the album version IMO. Shame the version on the expanded edition is quite compressed. Discogs only lists a promo 12" which seems hard to find - was this version released anywhere else?

ando here likes this.
  8. ganma

ganma Senior Member

Finally found the original CD release of Starchild today.
    [​IMG]

9. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

Now Playing

Lady T. Gordy double sided Kendun pressing

[​IMG]

zebop, ganma and Nostaljack like this.
  10. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

Do you file Teena Marie under T, or M?

11. Mr Bass

Teena Marie: Warm As Momma's Oven. Sarai 12" EP 33 1/3

I assume this is a promo or DJ issue for the Passion Play CD. It is the only vinyl issue from that recording AFAIK. Besides Warm As Mommas Oven there are several groove tracks derived from it. The playing is very good.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I file under T as it is a stage name without a last name.

MikeP5877 likes this.
  12. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

That makes sense. I've always seen her under M in record stores, which doesn't make sense.

13. Mr Bass

I don't believe so. Neither Motown nor Epic did a very good job with the 12" EPs or picture discs for Teena. They often had generic covers or poor repros of the LP covers. Compare this to the great production and catalog for Deborah Harry's on again off again solo career.

harmonica98 likes this.
  14. ando here

Teena, circa '95 (Sinbad Summer Jam) -

Mr Bass likes this.
  15. ando here

16. Mr Bass

Teena Marie: Emerald City. Canada Epic

I mentioned above that I came across a Canada pressing of Emerald City. I had been put off by the mixing mastering of the CD and even the US LP pressing was muddled. The Canada pressing was noticeably clearer and the result was more coherent sounding mixes. I am trying to find more Canada and UK pressings but they seem quite rare or at least seldom available.

[​IMG]

ando here and vivresavie like this.
  17. ando here

18. Mr Bass

OK I was able to find a Canadian promo pressing of Naked To The World and UK pressings of Starchild and Naked To The World. The latter is also a promo. I did listening comparisons with original mint US pressings.

Starchild - the difference between US and UK pressings was immediately noticeable. The US pressing has a fairly deep soundstage but sounds a bit phasey (out of phase) for both the background instruments and Teena's voice. This creates a soft enveloping kind of sound. The UK sounded much more focused and punchier but without any harshness. Teena's voice had more body and studio ambiance. The UK was the clear winner IMO.

Naked To The World - This was mastered by the great Bernie Grundman so the US pressing sounded considerably better than Starchild. The Canada promo had a pleasing softer sound but with a bit more clarity. The UK promo had a punchier sound than the Canadian and not too dissimilar to the US but clearer. No clear winner as all 3 are good if slightly different sonically.

I haven't yet found Gordy albums in Canada and UK issues but my other experience with Gordy / Motown is that US pressings are generally best. However Teena's Epic albums display significant differences depending on country and these generally favor non US pressings. For CD listeners it might be worthwhile seeking out UK or Japan CD issues of Teena's Epic albums.

UK Starchild (note different record number)
    [​IMG]

UK promo Naked To The World
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
    ando here likes this.
  19. ando here

Thanks.

20. ando here

Shangri-La

One of her best love songs.

vivresavie likes this.

21. Best lyric: "'Cus you're sweeter than the taste of a cherry so rare when you love me..."

Mr Bass and ando here like this.
  22. ando here

:agree::D

23. manicpopthrill

manicpopthrill Forum Resident

I have Robbery coming from a CD trade site, but this one still eludes me. You'd think there would be thousands of these floating around since it includes her big crossover hit. I find it mystifying.

24. Luvtemps

Luvtemps Forum Resident

That title says it all!!

25. manicpopthrill

manicpopthrill Forum Resident

Turns out this is the 2005 remaster with DRM that was recalled because it could expose your PC to a virus if you tried playing/ripping. Is that still a concern with Windows 10?