Teenage Fanclub Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by wayneklein, Jul 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

They're all great, Grand Prix is fantastic. I'd go for Songs From Northern Britain Next.

Pop_Zeus, Tom34772, dlemaudit and 2 others like this.
  2. MarioHead

MarioHead Forum Resident

Bandwagonesque.

3. boe

boe Forum Resident

I wish that somehow the tape of the radio broadcast of Chilton w/ Teenage Fan Club would surface and be officially released. There are a lot of boots of it but they all have the same major defects. It's easily right up there with the best of Alex's post Big Star work.

Alex thought that "the Fannies" were the best of all the bands that were considered to be influenced by Big Star.

4. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I've never heard that.

5. dlemaudit

dlemaudit Forum Resident

Here, their last album is terrible , what a huge letdown , and i am a big TFC fan .
    Where are the songs ?
    I am ok with " we are getting old , more mature etc" but guys dont forget to write some songs , Gerry in particular , what happened ?

I wish they would still record songs like below , thats Alejandro 's little brother last album , pure TFC bliss .

or

Javier Escovedo - See You Around

Lightworker, Doctorwu and melstapler like this.
  6. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Neat! I saw Javier play a full band show in support of this album and they were excellent. Javier always has a nice guitar arsenal.

dlemaudit likes this.
  7. melstapler

As far as I'm aware, Teenage Fanclub still haven't released a definitive live album. It would be nice to have a live album either a 1CD or a 2CD professionally recorded live in concert and with a tracklist representative of their live shows.

Pop_Zeus, Dennis Metz and Doctorwu like this.
  8. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I do like Here but sadly the last couple of Teenage Fanclub albums have been comparatively dull. Far too many slow songs. Still good albums though. Man Made is the last Fanclub album I totally loved.

9. It's Felix

It's Felix It's not really me

Their first and best - A Catholic Education.

Jimmy Disco D and Dennis Metz like this.
  10. swedgin

swedgin Forum Resident

Bandwagonesque, Grand Prix and Songs from Northern Britain are the bona fide classics but there are great songs on all the albums. If ever a band needed a comprehensive bsides and rarities collection it would be TFC.
    Latest album Here is worth picking up as well.

A true democratic unit with 3 great songwriters all given equal space to shine with Norman songs especially being my personal favourites.

Pop_Zeus, SteveCooks and Doctorwu like this.
  11. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

Their live cover version of Camper Van Beethovan's 'Let's Take The Skinheads Bowling' is pretty fab.

melstapler likes this.
  12. Lightworker

I liked Here, but the CD sounded slammed and shrill. The
    vinyl 45 release of 'I'm In Love' demonstrates how it could
    have sounded if mastered correctly. And the B-side is their
    best cover version since "He'd Be A Diamond".

melstapler likes this.
  13. Minorityshareholder

Minorityshareholder Forum Resident

According to the band's Twitter Account, Gerry Love is to leave the band after their gig on 15th November this year.

Interestingly, Teenage Fanclub will continue without him.

Man at C&A likes this.
  14. TheWarmth

TheWarmth Forum Resident

15. Vox78

Vox78 Forum Resident

Damn...what a legend.
    Here’s 10 reasons to be gutted!

Star Sign
    Guiding Star
    Radio
    Gene Clark
    Sparky’s Dream
    Don’t look back
    Going Places
    Ain’t that enough
    I need direction
    It’s a Sign

16. Em.

Em. Forum Resident

Wow. What a drag. Gerry is, for me, the most crucial and consistently excellent songwriter and musician in the band. I can't fathom seeing them live, or even bothering to listen to an album, without the presence of his vocals and bass-playing.

17. melstapler

Definitely. It would be nice if a compilation set containing the numerous non-album tracks from the Teenage Fanclub singles could be released in one convenient package. Based on the quality of this material alone, these songs deserve to be heard by even the casual fans who might not have collected the singles back when they were available.

18. melstapler

Considering that GL's songs are a significant part of the band's repertoire, the big question I have is whether or not TF will continue to perform these songs without him. The Searchers didn't stop performing 'Needles & Pins' when Mike Pender left the band and The Byrds continued to perform the Gene Clark and Gram Parsons songs after they each left the band. Of course, I wasn't fond of the vocalist who replaced Mike Pender in The Searchers, but Roger McGuinn did a decent job of handling vocal duties on the GC and GP songs. This news is a major blow to all TF fans.

Man at C&A likes this.
  19. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

How about a big box set?:cheers:

melstapler, granata, Mother and 4 others like this.
  20. Lightworker

There could be two volumes: One of their non-LP originals and one of cover songs.
    I still don't have a physical copy of their cover of '"Let's Take The Skinheads Bowling"!

melstapler likes this.
  21. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

It could be a lot more than that. I recently compiled all their singles and ended up with eight discs: a full CD for every album up to Howdy (two for Grand Prix) and one for the last three albums. And that was strictly singles (and album bonuses, like the Thirteen and Grand Prix EPs): no V/A compilation contributions, which I haven't got around to yet and figure would comprise another two to three discs. Like the Smiths, a healthy proportion of those b-sides are as good as anything they ever did.

Pop_Zeus, melstapler and Lightworker like this.
  22. Lightworker

A comprehensive box set would be welcome (before box sets become a thing of the past).

23. Linnaeus Nightingale

Linnaeus Nightingale Forum Resident

The thing I like about these guys is they kept chugging along doing their own thing, fame be damned. The level of personal investment in and love of what they have been doing clearly shows. They have been the antithesis of a corporate band, producing heartfelt music, so intimate that it transports one to a different realm, perhaps the northern reaches of Britain on a cool winter day.

To me, they are much like Blue Rodeo of Canada, both bands being emblematic of their native lands.

24. It's Felix

It's Felix It's not really me

I agree, but just wish they would add the odd serrated riff back in a song. I.e. everything flows...

punkmusick and Man at C&A like this.
  25. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

Saw them in Brazil in 2005 (?), love them.

melstapler likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.