SH Spotlight Telefunken Omni microphones and vintage Capitol "Binaural" records: "Velvet Brass" Jackie Gleason

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Aug 22, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

How does it sound? I’m a bit uncertain about what I should get. I think I might prefer the mono LP, but am concerned about the SQ. Samples of the SH version I’ve heard sound quite good, but I’m concerned about the ability to hear all of the instruments in the stereo version. I’d prefer not to have to play it loud to get a full listening experience.

2. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

I thought it sounded good, but a little harsh on the treble.

misterjones likes this.
  3. misterjones

That's one thing that confused me. I thought it was only modern CDs that go that sort of treatment.

4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

What brought this thread back to life all of a sudden?

Think I'll play the Razor & Tie CD version. I believe it's still on Amazon for like 6 dollars. THAT is a good deal..

misterjones likes this.
  5. misterjones

It's all in the family, more or less. On Monday, the opening sequence of Better Call Saul (season six's premiere episode) featured Jackie Gleason's Days of Wine and Roses. (There's an ongoing season six discussion on the "Visual Arts" forum.) I liked what I heard, so I investigated Gleason's music on Spotify and here in the "Music Corner" forum. I came across this thread and another thread discussing Jackie Gleason's music. Quite helpful . . . and away I went! I ended up buying the Razor & Tie CD, as well as three other late 1950s and early 1960s Capitol LPs.

Lots of well priced copies available!

6. Steve Hoffman

It's about the outest music in the world so I would imagine the stuff is cheap out there. Be warned, other than VELVET BRASS, the Gleason stuff is just slow, Makeout Music with a Capitol (heh) M! Not any rhythm in sight!

uzn007 and misterjones like this.
  7. misterjones

I like both. I like the uptempo Velvet Brass, as well as the slow strings with the horn soloing (e.g., Bobby Hackett's trumpet). Reminds me of Jerry Goldsmith's Chinatown soundtrack. I wonder if Gleason influenced Goldsmith's work for that film, even if just a little bit.

juanmanuel likes this.
  8. Steve Hoffman

Those Gleason albums sold very well, into the millions over the years. I have a bunch myself.

There IS one old Gleason album that has a beat. It's called "Romantic Jazz"
    W-568. It's a good one, will never show up on CD, I think it's from 1955. Worth hunting down for a few dollars.

Also, when you get the Razor & Tie CD, there is a bitchin' version of his theme song on there that has about the best brass playing I've ever heard..

misterjones likes this.
  9. misterjones

Thanks for the heads up on all counts.

10. Steve Hoffman

No prob. Not many people want to ever talk about Jackie Gleason records!

uzn007 and misterjones like this.
  11. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

Well, "Romantic Jazz" is on Qobuz, streaming in CD-quality 44.1kHz / 16-bit, along with a LOT of other Jackie Gleason titles. You weren't kidding about all the music being slow Makeout music, with album names like "Love Embers and Flame," "Opiate D'Amour," "Music to Change Her Mind," "Music to Remember Her," "Tawny," "Lover's Rhapsody," "Music for Lover's Only," etc.

It even has "Velvet Brass" in the discography (44.1/16), and given how dynamic it sounds to me, I'm inclined to think it just might be your mastering from Razor & Tie.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 25, 2022
  12. misterjones

I think the cover art of the version on Spotify is from the Capitol release (logo in lower right-hand corner) . That version sounds a bit harsh - or, at least, less smooth - to me as compared to samples of the Razor & Tie version I heard elsewhere (though we are talking separate streaming services and not optimal listening conditions).

13. Steve Hoffman

Velvet Brass is on there? Hmm, not my mastering, way too bright and edgy.

CraigVC and misterjones like this.
  14. misterjones

Some decent swing in this album (Riff Jazz), as well.

15. Steve Hoffman

That album is not Gleason-like enough for me. It's like a soundtrack to a drive-in teen movie from the late 1950's. Not that there's anything wrong with that!

misterjones likes this.
  16. misterjones

I assumed - but do not know - that the streaming versions are the late 1980s (Larry Walsh) Capitol version. In any event, you can get a taste of the Razor & Tie version here - Jackie Gleason CD: How Sweet It Is - Velvet Brass (CD) - Bear Family Records Better yet, buy the CD (just be sure to check the CD details and note the different cover).

TOP: Razor & Tie 1996 (Hoffman) - 20 tracks Jackie Gleason - How Sweet It Is! The Jackie Gleason Velvet Brass Collection

[​IMG] [​IMG]

BOTTOM: Capitol 1987 (Walsh) - 16 tracks Jackie Gleason - Jackie Gleason Presents Velvet Brass

[​IMG]

17. misterjones

Woody Herman with strings, perhaps with a twist of Kenton! Works for me, but no, not a true Gleasson LP.

uzn007 likes this.
  18. Steve Hoffman

Exactly.

misterjones likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.