Television series that you wish would get an official DVD or BluRay release.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Dave112, Mar 5, 2022.

1. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

There's a Wet Shorts DVD comp kicking around but it's just a taster. It would be great to have the full series. That was amazing stuff.

Dave112 likes this.
  2. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

I have a feeling that almost every show that might have been released on disc will now be licensed to the streaming "channels". Guaranteed money, no returns, a no-brainer. Someday someone will create a TV Guide-style website that lets you search all the streaming channels for the shows you want.

3. Alan G.

Alan G. Forum Resident

On my wish list: Roald Dahl’s “‘Way Out”, ‘61, 14-episode, video taped series of which several are on YouTube. Not all. Known for Dick Smith’s make up effects and strange stories.

Dave112 likes this.
  4. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

"Shindig!"

But **nobody** is going to lay out the buckets of money necessary to clear the required performance and music rights...

- Kevin

Dave112 likes this.
  5. The last two seasons were released at an insane price in Japan. It's a pity that Disney doesn't care about the physical media as much as they do about their amusement parks.

Dave112 likes this.
  6. Yeah very little science on the show. It's entertaining to be sure and proposed a lot of interesting questions. Nimoy's clothes...the 70's were a weird time.

Dave112 likes this.
  7. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Any show with "politically incorrect" issues will hit a brick wall.

In the past week I watched some "Small Wonder" episodes and was surprised at some of the creepy undertones that gave it unintended entertainment value.

S. P. Honeybunch likes this.
  8. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

It's unfortunate that Nimoy must have needed the money at the time that he did such a horrible show. It would have been better had he done a show debunking most of the stuff that the show peddled.

9. Mollusk

Mollusk I AM THE STALLION

Have you seen the DS9 doc? It has some good HD footage, and there's an upcoming VOY doc as well that'll also have HD footage.

Dave112 likes this.
  10. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Pretty much a given at this point, for anything even slightly outside of the mainstream. DVD / BD drives are slowly fading away as a common household device.

Actually bought recently, and after a very long time proctrastinating, TZ and Trek TNG on BD. Finally got pushed in that direction given the continuing split of video streaming services right now.

11. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Last I heard, DS9 and VOY will never get the TNG treatment simply due to cost. Happy that TNG itself managed to squeak through with a remaster.

Dave112 likes this.
  12. Brian_Svoboda

Brian_Svoboda Senior Member

David Chase's "Almost Grown" -- another casualty of music rights.

Dave112 likes this.
  13. Tom Perry

Tom Perry Senior Member

I’d like to see Green Acres get a Blu-ray release. The DVD transfer is underwhelming.

Kirk76 and Michael like this.
  14. Mollusk

Mollusk I AM THE STALLION

Yeah, you're right, however, they did remaster some select footage from the docs. What We Left Behind, the DS9 doc, is up on youtube for free I believe.

Gaslight and Dave112 like this.
  15. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I was so pissed when Shout announced the complete series on Fn' DVD at Blu-ray pricing! something like $150.00+! OK...years later the price came down still this great showed most definitely merited a BD release..fat chance of that ever happening.

Tom Perry and Dave112 like this.
  16. Jim Pattison

Jim Pattison Forum Resident

Yes, I have the DS9 documentary on Blu-ray. I even went to see it in a theatre when it was first released. The footage from the series looked amazing on the big screen.

I’m looking forward to the VOY documentary. Hopefully, it’ll be as good as the DS9 one.

Gaslight, Mollusk and Dave112 like this.
  17. Dave112

Dave112 Forum Resident Thread Starter

The show is actually pretty good for its day. Some episodes have aged better than others but it is one of my favorite DVD sets to watch. It always clearly stated at the beginning of each episode that full scientific methods were not used and findings should be considered conjecture.

The highly successful television series was developed after several best selling books and very popular television specials covering similar subjects. If the show was about dry data and beakers, it wouldn't have grabbed viewers' interest. Long before the Discovery channel, In Search Of presented intriguing subjects like Stonehenge, Bigfoot, Amelia Earhart, etc.. It was one of the first television shows that presented topics like these. It was a wildly successful show and I doubt that they had trouble finding a host. Originally, Rod Serling was to host ISO since he had narrated the highly successful television specials that preceded ISO. When Rod Serling died, Leonard Nimoy was made host of ISO. 1970s fashion styles aside, Leonard Nimoy proved to be a great host.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2022
    Grand_Ennui likes this.
  18. varispeed

varispeed what if?

Every episode of "Judd for the Defense" remastered and released.

I have fairly bad copies. To me, the show was very important for its blip of time.

I would also grab every "Name of the Game". I know some of the episodes air and there've been occasional announcements of a dvd release. I have several dozen bad-quality episodes. Would love to buy a proper release.

But....Judd For the Defense is the one.

Dave112 likes this.
  19. Tom Perry

Tom Perry Senior Member

What a shame, the show would look great in HD.

[​IMG]

Michael and Dave112 like this.
  20. Dave112

Dave112 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I would love to see a BR release of Green Acres but the DVD set looks pretty good to my eyes. We don't have a 4K or up set but on a regular good quality TV screen it looks better than any broadcast that I've ever seen.

Grand_Ennui and Michael like this.
  21. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

Music rights? No. Bad rated show that no one watched and didn't even air all 13 episodes. Don't blame a show that was pulled after 9 shows on music rights. That's like blaming a car not starting on a flat tire.

S. P. Honeybunch likes this.
  22. Michael

your TV is 1080p correct?

Dave112 likes this.
  23. Michael

where's that clip from?

24. Michael

dream on! that's the last label you want to handle this great show...the most you'll get is DVDs and that's a stretch.

Dave112 likes this.
  25. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

I agree, I have no issues with the way the DVDs look.

Dave112 likes this.