Television series that you wish would get an official DVD or BluRay release.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Dave112, Mar 5, 2022.

1. A formal release of the mid-‘80s Jason Bateman sitcom It’s Your Move is way overdue. There are decent quality episodes uploaded to YouTube in the meantime, though, and they hold up very well overall.

MrCJF likes this.
  2. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

I'd settle for the whole series on standard DVD...

I remember you're no fan of Shout! Factory releases, I think due to their MSRP, but I could live with it if they did the whole series, like they did with 'Green Acres'.

Michael likes this.
  3. Nightfly68

Nightfly68 Forum Resident

I loved Green Acres-that show was fantastic.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  4. ArchFates

ArchFates Forum Resident

The Adventures of Brisco County Jr. and She-Wolf of London on blu-ray, both were just one season long shows, but very good. Both were shot on film and would look great on blu-ray because they were shot so well. Especially She-Wolf of London had some great cinematography for a TV-show of that time.

S. P. Honeybunch likes this.
  5. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

if there was no other way...yes.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  6. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

One of the things that irritated me about Twin Peaks on video is that they were confusingly named. I purchased the Season One set thinking it was the original miniseries but it turned out to be the first season of the continuing television series. I think I eventually purchased a set that featured all of the original Twin Peaks episodes.

7. Solaris Morse

Solaris Morse Forum Resident

'The Growing Summer'. This was a children's series from (I think) 1968 and which has never been seen since. I've always loved the book the series was based on and have always hoped that it would get a DVD release,assuming that the tapes still exist and haven't been wiped? :confused:

8. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

Yeah, but I was up to 5AM figuring out which Twin Peaks Blu-Ray series to buy on Amazon that was the best in sharpness and color and
    only the TV series, not the movies that came after it like Fire Walk With Me.

I had so many browser pages open checking screencaps on Blue-Ray.com and DVDbeaver.

I still couldn't know for sure which I was getting and was Region compatible with my player and gave up and went to bed.

9. Benjamin Edge

Benjamin Edge Forum Resident

My wish list for 2023:
    Barefoot in the Park (TV series) (1970)
    Funny Face (1971)/The Sandy Duncan Show (1972)
    Love Story (TV series) (1973-74)
    Paper Moon (TV series) (1974)
    Kate McShane (1975)
    The Cop and the Kid (1975)
    Serpico (TV series) (1976-77)
    Blansky's Beauties (1977)
    Mulligan's Stew (1977)
    Who's Watching the Kids? (1978)
    Brothers and Sisters (1979)
    Makin' It (1979)
    Out of the Blue (1979 TV series)
    Working Stiffs (1979)
    Struck by Lightning (1979)
    The Associates (U.S. TV series) (1979-80)
    Goodtime Girls (1980)
    Foul Play (TV series) (1981)
    Making the Grade (1982)
    Madame's Place (1982-83)
    Star of the Family (1982 TV series)
    The Renegades (1983)
    Ryan's Four (1983)
    Mr. Smith (1983 TV series)
    Hometown (1985 TV series)
    Mr. Sunshine (1986)
    All Is Forgiven (1986)
    Sanchez of Bel Air (1986)
    The Cavanaughs (1986-89)
    Gung Ho (TV series) (1986-87)
    The Tortellis (1987)

~Ben

10. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

Greatest American Hero on hidef Blu-ray, please. We don't want to lose these filmed treasures in a world of trendy and slick Quentin Tarantino movies. The dog food eating FBI and a schoolteacher with a magic alien suit is the heart and soul of America!

11. BwanaBob

BwanaBob Forum Resident

Aha, another show swallowed by Disney. We are so f**cked by them. Perhaps an organized boycott of their streaming channel might get them to reconsider halting all physical media sales. I personally am doing this. 1 down, 20 million to go?

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  12. Benjamin Edge

Benjamin Edge Forum Resident

Which is not to be confused with the 1975 series of the same name starring Brian Keith, controlled by Paramount Global (Paramount Television).

~Ben

13. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

HBO's "Carnivale" is the TV series not currently available on blu-ray that I most want.

will_b_free likes this.
  14. I’d love a Brisco but it would have to be reassembled and rescanned as it was done in standard def videotape for its editing, visual effects, post-production, etc. shot on film but with digital effects for some work, if there was enough demand Warner Archieve could and should do it. They could also upscale it.

15. dwm67

dwm67 Forum Resident

I would like to see a complete DVD or blu ray set for ‘The Fall Guy’.

S. P. Honeybunch likes this.
  16. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

Yeah, I'm quite peeved about them no longer releasing DVDs of their properties-I bought each and every set of 'Family Guy', was planning on buying Season 18 when it was released, and then *poof*, no more releases, no Season 18 DVD release, so I was/am SOL.

Even if they made shows like 'Family Guy' and 'The Simpsons' MOD, I'd be fine with that too, but to totally stop them: Not Cool!

bmasters9, BwanaBob and drpep like this.
  17. ArchFates

ArchFates Forum Resident

Same with a lot of other tv-shows from the 80s and 90s, especially if they used special effects, I wonder how many shows from the 80s and 90s were edited on film, and then transferred to video and how many were first transferred on video, and then edited. The shows which we have on blu-ray or in HD on streaming must've had been edited first on film, and all those had been saved.

I wouldn't want anything to be upscaled from video to HD, it pretty much always looks way too smooth, what really annoys me is when they take something what's in 25 or 30 fps and use interpolation to make it 50 or 60 fps, it always looks horrible.

18. Scowl

Scowl Forum Resident

One of the buried gems of MTV was their first filmed sitcom Austin Stories. It had clever Seinfeld-like mixup plots, the characters were hilarious, the direction was as good as any sitcom on television at the time, and in just twelve episodes it already had some solid running jokes. Despite being a hit, MTV never gave it a second season and the reasons are a bunch of he said she said stories. Now all we have are some episodes on YouTube and a bootleg DVD set.

19. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

PBS SOUNDSTAGE.
    Especially Journey in 1978………
    Beave

20. alanhed

alanhed Forum Resident

Night Music. Or...Sunday Night. I think the name changed one year to the other.
    A live music show hosted by Jools Holland and David Sanborn. It was on NBC late Sunday night. Some of the greatest live performances ever.
    Miles. Stevie Ray. Clapton.
    So many music legends played that show.
    What a house band! Marcus Miller. Hiram Bullock. Omar Hakim. Phillipe Saise.

jupiter8 likes this.
  21. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

`Drake And Josh', `Still Standing' (with Jamie Gertz) come to mind.....

22. Reckoning

Reckoning Forum Resident

The two main ones for me are:

St. Elsewhere - My favourite drama series of the 80s, though it blended comedic moments in with it brilliantly. I was just a teenager when it aired, I'd love to watch the whole series from start to finish today. When Shout released the Hill Street Blues complete series a years ago, I was hoping St. Elsewhere would follow, but looks like it's never going to happen.

The John Larroquette Show - The storylines didn't always work, but when they did it was some of the best comedy I've ever seen. I don't believe this is available on any streaming services either.

23. bmasters9

bmasters9 Forum Resident

Bring 'Em Back Alive, a short-lived 1982-83 CBS adventure series w/Bruce Boxleitner (as famed animal trapper and hunter Frank Buck) that I thought would get a release this year, but apparently Sony could not find suitable masters (as what I hear), so we are not getting it (I did, however, read the original 1930 book by the real Frank Buck, and he had some wild and wooly experiences then as a trapper and hunter).

24. Steve Simm

Steve Simm Forum Resident

I’d love for the final season of the Showtime series “Homeland” to be released on bluray. I have the earlier seasons on blu but it looks like the final was only released on DVD. Very annoying when series are handled this way.

bmasters9 and Crungy like this.
  25. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

The John Larroquette Show

LeBon Bush likes this.