Tell me about your cd player.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by The Good Guy, Sep 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Sony still do them.

2. cjc

cjc Senior Member

My "basic" Teac -P650 has been awesome since I purchased it 4 years ago. I previously had a " $$$$high-end" Rega, and the Teac sounds just as nice to me.

Dellarigg likes this.
  3. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Never had luck with changers - always had reliability issues over time, certain slots in the big tray wouldn't read, etc. I'll never buy another one.

4. Still using this. Still sounds great.[​IMG]

5. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Get dvd 300 cd changers now as well. Good for space.

6. antnee

antnee Well-Known Member

I have not had a player for over 25 plus years when I got rid of everything except for the cds still have the cds just no player....they were all put on my computer back then and have been transferred over and over as I got new ones...

SeeDeeFirth likes this.
  7. antnee

antnee Well-Known Member

Since I have started up a new system last year I may add a CD player one of these days no hurry though I have most everything I want in vintage albums...

8. Dellarigg

Dellarigg Forum Resident

Yeah, I kind of know, deep down, that the Marantz 6006 won't be a huge improvement in sound. I'm still thinking of getting one at Xmas, however, and building a second system round the Teac, with the help of ebay, for another room.

(I tried to do a trade-in at Easter, but the shop only offered me £40 for the Teac. I swatted them away like a common or garden bug.)

9. I started on this path over a decade ago, and for me it's been a tremendous liberating experience.
    I still buy CDs regularly, but they seldom see a CD player - they're ripped and placed in a box and stored.

Staxus likes this.
  10. siebrand

siebrand music lover

this was my first.
    what a kind of look!

I don't remember if it did sound good or not
    The fact is (was...!) that CD sounded a bit different than an LP
    Better in some ways, worse in other, perhaps.
    But I loved that machine....
    [​IMG]

11. BubbaJack

BubbaJack New Member

I have read that the Sony DVP-S7000 and Sony DVP-S7700 are supposed to be very nice players.

I have the chance to get a S-7000 for $50 or the Luxman DZ-92 for $40.

Anyone have any thoughts? Or both?

This is like the only place I’ve found anything on the DZ-92 so I wanted to try to get the analysis from someone who actually has experience with the DZ-92 @Daily Nightly

12. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Still going strong
    [​IMG]

DaveyF and cut-out like this.
  13. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

Late last year I bought the new Denon DCD 600NE for $300...worth every penny.

14. Thorensman

Thorensman Forum Resident

I recently purchased a Nakamichi
    OMS 4. Very high end, supposedly
    The best.
    Best I heard bar none.
    Warm smooth . Play it more than records

15. UltraDNS

UltraDNS Staying in Seattle?

My first cd player was in 1987 when I transferred to San Jose State University. It was a single player Magnavox with 8x oversampling if I recall. Sadly, at some point it died when the laser just stopped reading cds completely. And it would have been too costly to replace the part. After that I just used a Sony Discman cd player connected to my amp. After that it was my older brothers Denon carousel disc player. When that gave up the ghost in 2017 I replaced it with my current player, the Yammie CD-S2100.

16. Bananajack

Bananajack Phorum ... wat Phorum? Where am I?

I own and owned so many CD Players in my life ... here is the ranking (my taste, you can protest)

Heaven
    Pioneer PD 91 - the best one ever. Unbelievable timing, super relaxed, perfect details (dead, IC broke, no spares)
    Completely heartbroken :((

Top Players
    AMR CD 77 - near perfect, switch off oversampling. But too bulky and heavy (sold)
    Philips CD 670 - TDA 1541 with extreme tuning (caps, op amps, damping, no oversampling, no headphone out, lots of stuff taken out), better than EMM Labs (Friend very quiet for a long time, hectically changing CDs)
    Quad CD 67 - very very musical, near perfect. Put the EMM Labs of my friend to shame (err, no difference)
    My friend is very frustrated
    Denon DCD 2560 - wonderful Player, near perfect, (dead, Laser broken, Kss 151)

Very good, satisfying
    Quad CD 99 - excellent for Rock, Jazz only good. Not so beautiful sounding, rather down to earth
    Sony CDP 555 ES - very good and solid, but not top class (sold)
    About here was my turntable in ranking, Thorens with Ortofon MC 20 (both died after 26 years, RIP)
    Musical Fidelity CDT with Telefunken tubes - not the most detailed, but has this beautiful bloom and atmosphere. Dim the lights ...
    Rega Planet - fun Player, sounds right in every Setup, super reliable, analogue, would always buy again
    Ayre 5MP3 or so - very detailed, but a bit thin sounding, Singers appear rather skinny, no chest

Good
    Marantz CD 63 OSE KI - pretty good Player, is fun, vinyl still clearly better (sold)
    Sony X222ES - really fine, fault free, solid (sold and now bought again, was cheap). Lasers available cheap

Not so good
    Creek Evo2 CD - very detailed, but too high pitched and fatiguing (freshly broken, made in China crap)
    Can be tweaked with cables and power cord to sound good
    Sony CD 990 (my first CDP) - not too bad, no obvious faults, Vinyl was clearly better (died)
    Kenwood DP 990 - Musical with flat soundstage (died)
    Yamaha CD 396 - err so so, bit sharp (from my fathers‘ old system, sold)
    Philips CD 951 - why is THAT famous? Lifeless digital noise, Bitstream … (I threw it away)

Rubbish Class
    Naim CD5i - hysteric player, unlistenable, why do so many people like them? (sold within a day)
    Sony XB 920 - rubbish player, uninspiring (sold)
    Denon DVD 3920 (or so) - mediocre, strange treble (sold)
    Pioneer PD 106 - was 20 Dollars. Okay, it was worth that (Sold for 40 :)
    Marantz CD 6006 (belongs to a friend). Maybe sth was wrong with the player, sounded bloated, worst CDP ever heard
    (She sold it)

maybe I forgot one or two

Eyeing Audionet and old Revox (could be tuned :p)

I wanted to find the humble high end killers. And I did :)
    And NEVER buy bitstream players!

17. progrocker

progrocker Senior Member

You'll love that modded Oppo.

18. Celticray

Celticray Forum Resident

I think my first CD Player was a Pioneer or Phillips but I cant rememeber. I am surprised that no one mentioned the PS Audio Lambda transport. Mine is connected to a home built DAC (JT DAC) and has always sounded really great. Love it. Have an Oppo 205 and 203 but I wonder....I moved my Marantz DV9600 DVD player to the bedroom when I got the Oppos.
    Has anyone used the Marantz DV9600 as a transport or cd player? Id love to get more opinions on its sound

19. CMT

CMT Forum Resident

My first was the Sony D-5, which was the original Japanese version of the D-50 shown here. I lived in Tokyo at the time (this was maybe early 1984?) and a relative worked for Stereo Sound magazine, so he was able to get me one about a month before the original release and a little cheaper than retail. Looks almost exactly like the D-50. I still have it. It still works. I use it in an upstairs secondary system most every day. My main CD player is a Pioneer PD HS-7 from the early 1990s. Likewise still going strong. Likewise purchased in Tokyo. It's unusual in that you load the disc with the label side down as the laser is mounted above rather than below the disc.

20. CMT

CMT Forum Resident

Yes, this is the one I got before its official release because a relative in Tokyo (where I lived at the time) worked for Stereo Sound magazine. I still have and use my Sony D-5.

Vidiot likes this.
  21. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

There was a 3910 and then the 3930

Maybe you meant the 3910 as I had a 3930 for a while back in the day and thought it sounded fairly decent.

22. Bananajack

Bananajack Phorum ... wat Phorum? Where am I?

Right, it was a Denon 3910, I remember now.

23. woodpigeon

woodpigeon Forum Resident

Yamaha CD-S2100, doubles as a DAC for streaming from a network player, in addition to CD spinning duty.

Prior to this I was running a CDX-530, which rather sadly kicked the bucket, and then a CD-NT670. Both Yamaha of different vintages.

The new player has more of everything. Timing, detail, bass, brushed aluminium…

UltraDNS likes this.
  24. I have had my Cyrus CDi since June 2018. Yhe best CDP in have ever heard. Love it

25. LarryT

LarryT Forum Resident

CDP-970. Great Sounding CD player. And an optical output, and a remote with variable output control.

If anyone is interested, I'll be selling one soon. I just have to test it out. Been sitting in my closet for 15 years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.