Tell me about your cd player.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by The Good Guy, Sep 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

I still have a PD91, I rotate it in one of my vintage systems. Still sounds lovely considering it's age.

2. The Good Guy

The Good Guy Forum Resident Thread Starter

Sorry not interested in a negative story about cd.

3. The Good Guy

Does not take 5 minutes to load , one minute , my friend has one & sounds excellent.

4. The Good Guy

Sorry I am not interested in sarcastic stories regarding cd. Thank you.

5. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Ah, only one minute to load. :eek:

My head explodes if I don't hear music in 5 seconds, tops.

6. The Good Guy

Keep the posts coming in but to be honest I am not interested in posts that state " I got rid of my cd player/vinyls better/my player collects dust heh heh heh" . Cd done right is an excellent format & now in 2014 discs can be obtained cheaply so that's even more to celebrate. Maybe some of you think it's defunct but trust me in five to ten years time when you can't buy it anymore along with vinyl (yes that's right) the HD service providers can charge whatever price they like for music . This in turn will make 2nd hand record & cd shops charge crazy prices.

7. The Good Guy

Patience is a virtue.

bhazen likes this.
  8. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

I found this at a thrift store a couple of years ago and have been using it in the bedroom system:

Sony X222es
    [​IMG]

I love its heavy tray, instantaneous response, big display, and good sound. It's the only "straight cd player" I own (except for a portable).

Lately though, I've been using this instead (also found at the thrift store):

Sony NS3100es (CD/SACD/DVD)
    [​IMG]

On the main system I use an Oppo DV-980H. I prefer the sound of its filter and the fact that it decodes HDCD, of which I have at least 200 - 300 titles.

tmtomh, Mik, kevinsinnott and 3 others like this.
  9. Ortofun

Ortofun Well-Known Member

When I need/want to spin CDs, I have a Technics 5 disc carousel, and a Marantz CD-65. The Marantz with It's Philips TDA 1541 & not too shabby mech' is the preferred one for SQ.......improved further by using Mundorf Siver & Oil output caps (bypassing the muting transistors). I could of course take it further with more mods, but I'm lazy and cheap.

Edit: just to add, that both are mid 80's models, and to myself I prefer the Marantz to newer players, but there would be exceptions..but not that many in my view.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2014
  10. Larry I

Larry I Senior Member

I have a Naim 555 with a 555PS power supply. It is one of the better players I have heard. I bought a Naim NDS server which is currently in my system (555 is now sitting in a closet). I like the server for its convenience, but, soundwise, I like the 555 player more. I can get both to sound good by changing the adjustments on my speaker. But, because the 555 sounds much closer to my analogue rig than the server, I don't have to readjust the system to listen to my records (or live with less than ideal sound from one or the other). The 555 has a richer, more "old school" sound than the NDS. The 555 replaced a Sony SCD-1 and there is really no comparison between the two--the 555 is MUCH better even when comparing the CD layer of an SACD played on the 555 to the SACD layer on the SCD-1.

11. timind

timind phorum rezident

I bought 2 cds this morning on Amazon because I couldn't resist the price. A new copy of Ghost In The Machine, by The Police for $5. I lost my copy of this album ten years ago when I sold my vinyl. Hard to beat that price.

12. The Good Guy

13. fogalu

fogalu There is only one Beethoven

The title of this thread is :"Tell Me About your CD Player".
    Why are so many unnecessary negative remarks made by vinyl lovers? This is not what the OP requested.
    I have no interest in vinyl but if I decided gratuitously to mention this on a vinyl thread, I am sure I would be told off in no uncertain fashion.

Dennis Metz, sewerdog, timind and 3 others like this.
  14. The Good Guy

Thanks mate. As it happens I like vinyl myself but I feel people conveniently forget it's also a labour of love & I am old enough to remember that CD actually encouraged people to do stuff with vinyl.

Erik A. flickinger and fogalu like this.
  15. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I have three that I really like, though I have to stretch to call two of them "CD Players" as they are a Transport and DAC combo, but they play my cds and do so so very well.

The one in the main system is a PS Audio PerfectWave Transport coupled via HDMI I2S to a PS Audio DirectStream DAC. Just amazing Redbook cd sound. I love it. Using the HDMI I2S connection is special compared to the four other ways I could connect the Transport to the DAC (Balanced XLR, Coaxial, Optical, USB). Smooth but detailed and dynamic sound, sounding so much like SACD it's questionable whether I need an SACD player.

The one in my second system is a PS Audio PerfectWave Transport coupled via HDMI I2S to a PS Audio PWD Mk II. The PWD Mk II had been in my main system prior to the DirectStream. Very good Redbook sound. I'm so spoiled to have this in a bedroom system.

The third is a California Audio Labs CL-10 five disc changer that I use in my Dad's system at his house (I actually listen to this system the most as I spend most of my time there caring for my parents). This changer really sounds so much better than you think it would, especially for a 'nineties machine. It really shows dynamic contrasts better than anything I've heard like it, and it has a robust but not inaccurate tonal balance. So glad I have it, works well as a transport too.

16. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Picked up a Onkyo 7030 a couple months ago, couldn't be happier, My first player since my old 90's JVC, it's quick and responsive, My SBTouch is my main player but sometimes it's nice just to throw in a disc :)

tmtomh likes this.
  17. Alan2

Alan2 Forum Resident

Naim CD5XS. +Flatcap2.

GeoffC and bhazen like this.
  18. bhazen

bhazen ANNOYING BEATLES FAN

The best music playback I've ever experienced from hifi was a 555 CD/PS driving 500 series pre/amps/'Caps into DBLs ... playing some Beatles CDs!

Dennis Metz likes this.
  19. Linto

Linto Mayor of Simpleton

same here, on second laser, incredible machine

PhilBiker and Alan2 like this.
  20. randy9700

randy9700 Indian MC Rider!

Of the many I have had over the years I now have an NAD 542, Vintage Yamaha CDC-610 (10 disc magazine) with like 20 magazines and the original remote, and at work I have a Marantz DC 2484 (6 disc magazine changer) which is an early edition. It uses rebadged Pioneer magazines. In fact most of the magazines I use are Pioneer. These can also be used in a number of early magazine car cd players. This unit originally had a remote but I bought it used and have been unable to find a remote for it anywhere.

My plan is to get the Budget Onkyo unit (C-7030) for my garage system and a Marantz CD-6005 for my main system and an Oppo unit for my HT so I have SACD playback. But then this has been my plan for a while now :waiting:.

Randy

21. Arcam FMJ CD37 and Sony XA5400ES at home, Rotel 1072 at the "cottage"

joelee likes this.
  22. fogalu

fogalu There is only one Beethoven

I have about four working CD players - two of them are Sony recorders but they play well enough and an ancient JVC which I use for casual listening. I have nothing hugely expensive except maybe the Philips CD850 which I bought in the early 90s and it still plays perfectly - even CD-Rs don't seem to upset it - and it has a lovely sound.
    Last year I bought a TEAC P1260 for about 120 euro (because I thought one of my older players had died - it hadn't really!) It's a bit picky with CD-Rs and has the worst remote control I ever came across! It has no frills, clunky buttons but that's okay because most of the money went into the sound quality which is really rich and full.
    I am trying to keep all those machine going in case CD really dies out and I have invested in too many discs.
    Oh - add in three Sony portables in case all the others die!

PhilBiker likes this.
  23. Nightswimmer

Nightswimmer Forum Resident

You seem to be a rather patient guy.

If my CD player took one minute to play music, I would assume that it was broken.

tmtomh likes this.
  24. Nightswimmer

Nightswimmer Forum Resident

On the thread question: I have a Philips 753. Bought it in 1999, still works great.

25. BurgerKing

BurgerKing Forum Resident

Not counting portables (a whole other thread). Started out in '85 with a Pioneer PD-6010:

[​IMG]

Then in '93 I bought a Sony X-707ES:

[​IMG]

In '99 I bought an SCD-1:

[​IMG]

And finally, when I thought the old tank was failing (it wasn't), I bought an XA5400ES:

[​IMG]

I've loved them all, and still have all but the 707. They still work

PhilBiker and jfeldt like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.