Tell Me What You Know About Ozzy

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Paulette, Oct 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Efus

Efus Senior Member

Here is a really odd interview that Ozzy did 6 days after the plane crash on Letterman's show.

Just so everyone's aware, Letterman had moved from daytime to late night, he had ZERO interviewing skills at this point,
    which you will be painful aware of fairly quickly.

But check out Ozzy. He's subdued, tries a bit of humor, but he's focused completely on getting back out there on the road.
    About the last 2 minutes is the best, as Letterman says he's surprised he honored his commitment to the interview, and they briefly get into the plane crash, and Ozzy says he wants to be back out playing on April 1. Pretty unbelievable when you think about it, but thats how it went down.

Paulette and Smokin Chains like this.
  2. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

I saw him on April 3 and it really was very strange. New Haven Coliseum with UFO opening

fishcane and Efus like this.
  3. Efus

Efus Senior Member

It was a very strange mix of fans for sure on that first tour.
    I remember the show being very fast paced and intense.
    They only played a little over an hour, and that included a brief drum solo, and maybe about a 5 min guitar solo.

4. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

Apols if already mentioned: He's a Beatles nut.

Paulette likes this.
  5. Nomadicarchivist

Nomadicarchivist Forum Resident

Nah. You should just get over the fact that I am speaking truths you don’t like, do us all a favor and stop taking it personally..

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
    Doggiedogma likes this.
  6. Efus

Efus Senior Member

Aldridge didnt want to do it either. Both men considered it a step back in their careers. They wanted to make new music, not cover old stuff.

How could Arden stake copyright claims to the Sabbath catalog and cut Ozzy out, if he didnt sign away his rights. Something that wasnt going to happen with Sharon managing? Sharon wanted to get Ozzy out from his Jet contract deal. Don wanted a Rhoads live album, but he wasnt getting that.
    So she ended up giving Don what he already had, and was getting more of, and no Randy to boot.

But Id like to hear how Don was going to cut Ozzy out of the royalties to his share of the Sabbath back catalog, I know the distribution deal was over.
    I guess your claiming that Don was about to screw over Sabbath with the old Meehan like deal again?
    I know they were alcoholics and drug addicts, but I have a hard time believing they'd fall for that again.
    Still if thats the case why didnt Sharon cut her Dad and his band out, after all they were first to market with the live album.
    No, this was about boning the old man over, getting out from under the Jet contract, and sticking it to his old band.

The actual recording of Speak of the Devil was interesting.
    They played and taped the whole set in rehearsal, as well as recording the 2 Ritz shows. The idea was they'd have plenty to fall back with in case something didnt work live. Norman has indicated that 3 songs on Speak come from the rehearsal taping.
    I guess your speaking of the rehearsal taping where you claim Gillis is hanging on. Sure did clean that up on the record, because I dont hear anybody "barely hanging on". Maybe Szaro was crying because he knew he was no Geezer Butler, not even close.

Yeah the Osbournes lie a lot, they used the press, used talent around them and tossed them. Not exactly a new story in rock and roll.
    But the fact of the matter is, she completely rebuilt that guy's career by pushing him hard, and she paid a huge price for it, that part you dont put out there.

But instead of plowing the same old ground over and over, what do you think happens to Ozzy if she doesnt pick him up, dust him off, and gets him back out there again?

One things for sure, the feud between father and daughter, Ozzy and his old band resulted in a win for music fans.
    Instead of a dead in the water band trying to get it back together, we got 4 excellent studio albums, 2 so so live albums, a lot of tv interviews and appearances, 2 filmed shows (Black and Blue/Speak), as well as a new guitar hero, all in 3 years.
    That to me is the legacy of this era, not the wife sticking it to her old man and her husband's old collaborators.

7. I’ll do myself a favor and introduce you to my ‘ignore’ file and that’s a win-win for both of us. :D

8. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

He snorted ants and bit the head off a bird. Is there more?

9. Efus

Efus Senior Member

Listening to a lot of the '80 and '81 tapes.
    Interesting how Randy plays the Sabbath stuff pretty straight forward in the UK, and when they came to the States in the spring of '81 he was pretty much filling all that space with his bag of tricks. I like the outro solo on CotG on the 1980, how he started it. By '81, that part disappeared, but clearly he reworked a lot of it. Theres got to be bunch of board tapes out there he listened to and reviewed.

Wonder how old school Sabbath fans felt at the time listening to all the guitar acrobatics on those tunes. Must have driven them nuts.

For those into it, its worth listening to how Randy played with Kerslake/Dailey, then Sarzo/Aldridge a few months later.

Another thing I picked up, if true.
    Following Rhoads death, the Osbournes hired Robert Sarzo, Rudy's brother to play guitar.
    Don Arden/Jet Records hired and paid an advance to Bernie Torme to fill the spot.
    Guess who won that fight?

Another story on Speak of the Devil was Sharon was ok with not doing it, it was Ozzy who went on an epic bender when he didnt get his way, according to Sarzo. And its not surprising that Gilles and his style was chosen. His style was a lot closer to Rhoads than Torme's was by miles.

And of course Ozzy lied on the album, talking about playing the Fillmore in 1972, since it was closed in June 1971.
    Amazing though that as addled as Ozzy was he could remember playing that at the Fillmore, as it was not a song that was noted as being played much back then.

10. Efus

Efus Senior Member

The Night Flight interview Nov. 8, 1982

Amazing interview, very revealing on a lot of levels, Ozzy clearly knows he's expected to behave 2 different ways.
    So clear headed one moment, and manic the next. You got to imagine being around this constantly was tough.
    Loves his wife a lot, yet makes a pass at the female interviewer (the video question), and while insightful in some parts, clearly winds up the interviewer in other parts (the taste of bat and his hobby)
    Worth watching just for the short hair, and to check his eyes out. He's clearly on some meds, among other things probably.
    Funny to hear him talk about kicking drugs, when less than a year and a half later, he'd be sniffing a line of ants in front of Motley Crue.
    But putting aside he's got issues, the interview in spots is hilarious.....tattoo of my mother-in-law.

Greenalishi and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  11. Ah yes, I remember that when it originally aired. Nice.

12. Efus

Efus Senior Member

Bernie Torme playing a stratocaster.
    Had to be a really weird vibe. How was Ozzy that night?

13. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

This is probably tmi but to be perfectly honest I was out of my mind on mushrooms and I don't remember much about the show.

But looking back on it one of the amazing things is that I'd seen them with Randy in that same arena just six months before. They were touring a lot.

Which reminds me of something Rudy Sarzo said in this recent interview. He says one of the reasons Randy has had such a lasting impact despite his small discography is that he played in front of so many people in that short period.

it's around seven minutes in that he says that but the whole interview is good and worth a listen.

Efus likes this.
  14. Paulette

Paulette Forum Resident Thread Starter

I was going to write my feelings about this earlier on and thought "Nah" the subject is passed. Not to say that you brought it up, but here it is again.
    I actually kinda get off on the subject because I consider my self a crusader for Ozz. Maybe it is silly or futile but I don't care, I love it. I often go around different sites and if I see rude things about him I stick up for him.

I fully believe that it was a band, that was Ozzy's idea. Whether he knew it would change to feature him then or just changed it later, who knows. I did not know that it was such common knowledge that it was a band, though.

You have said that you speak truth that we do not want to hear. That is ridiculous. All of the serious Sab fans here are fully aware of this.

I love this because Don really seems very truthful. He recognizes Ozzy's weaknesses and reveals the talent that most people just seem to negate all the way around. Like you are. I really appreciate your input. I am not a, what I like to call, a "LIKE and agree" kind of person.
    What bothers me is your ultimate types of statements like "Never listen to Ozzy or Sharon ever again.", or "Ozzy barely wrote anything."

I think it is well known that lyrics can rarely be written without a subject matter. Who came up with the subject matter much of the time? And let us not underestimate a melody. It is not to be demeaned with "He just wrote the melodies!

My thread is titled, "Tell me what you know about Ozzy." Obviously much of what we know is conjecture, and possibly just not true. I realize that now and not when I first created the thread. And Ozzy and Sharon have been quite the sharks on occasion but to put them down in such a way without all of the information from all of the sources, as a lawyer and or a judge may have. Besides, Bob has said that he would be willing to work with Ozz again, so what does that say?

ajawamnet likes this.
  15. Paulette

Yeah. Dave seemed very nervous. Almost scared of Ozzy :winkgrin:

16. Paulette

What I meant was Sab and Ozz fans, for just a general idea of his career.

17. Nomadicarchivist

Nah.. That’s a lose-lose for both of us my friend.. Time reveals all

18. Paulette

True.
    I wonder why?
    Had all the credits already gone to him?
    I'm not clear on the story but I think at one point it was portrayed as that.
    This thread is very old so I can't remember if this subject has been covered here already.
    Sorry if it has.
    Edit: Well, he didn't write ALL of the lyrics

Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
  19. Nomadicarchivist

Part of Sharons myth building about Ozzy has been for Ozzy to take credit for as much of the creation of the songs as possible without giving credit and royalties to those who actually did the heavy lifting ie Bob Daisley and Randy.

Truly pathetic and inexcusable and part of the public record

20. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

I won’t speak to the “myth building” as I think there is a certain element of truth to that.

The rest of this just isn’t accurate for the early period. For the first two records, Ozzy and Rhoads wrote the songs together in terms of the riffs and vocal melodies. Daisley wrote the lyrics. Interviews with Rhoads from the time will confirm this is how he and Ozzy worked, and even Daisley has said Ozzy wrote all of his vocal melodies. This is always how he has worked.

Have you ever even looked at the songwriting credits on Blizzard? Daisley and
    Rhoads are everywhere:
    Ozzy Osbourne - Blizzard Of Ozz

The issue was later. Ozzy and Sharon did not want to pay Daisley and Kerslake every time “Crazy Train” gets played at a ballgame and that type of thing. I personally don’t get this thinking but that was the issue as I understand it.

21. Nomadicarchivist

No, Ozzy and Randy did NOT "wtite the songs together" in the early period. Ozzy was an alcoholic mess at this time and ir was Bob and Randy who "wrote the songs together" with an occasional melody assist or two by Ozzy.

The band was called "Blizzard of Oz" then and it was NOT a solo project..

Plenty of Kerslake and Daisley interviews out there to learn from.

22. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

Find me any quote where even Daisley claims that anybody besides Ozzy came up with the vocal melodies to all of those songs?

Nobody is questioning the role that Daisley and Rhoads played. I suspect that all of those songs with a different, less capable vocal melody architect and the album would have gone nowhere, but this isn’t the point you made.

Daisley received compositional credit on every single track on Blizzard except “Dee.”

Rhoads received compositional credit on every single song.

You said Rhoads and Daisley didn’t “....get credit.” This is factually inaccurate. Period.

23. Nomadicarchivist

DO YOUR OWN DAMN HOMEWORK!!!

As my final act of kindness before blocking you for being IGNORANT as a result of your own LAZINESS I will assign you a text book for class!
    For Facts Sake | Bob Daisley

Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
  24. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

I've read the book. Your point eludes me.

You can YELL if it makes you feel you'll be better heard, but the "issue" was with Daisley and Kerslake, not Daisley and Rhoads; as you put it.

And your point that Daisley and Rhoads weren't "credited" is simply not true. The court case which Daisley and Kerslake lost was over royalty payments and I have not defended how the Osbournes handled that. IMO, it was very poorly handled.

Kerslake has let it go and Ozzy recently gave him a platinum record award for Blizzard, which was a dying request of his as he is in ill health. Maybe Daisley and Ozzy can be at peace soon also.

The Osbournes have done some very stupid business stuff, IMO. And Sharon has often mismanaged Ozzy's career in terms of him as a musician. Often selling him as a "clown" and then doing that so much that she oversold him as a kind of "singer/songwriter," which was never his bag. My issue is with people exaggerating. To suggest that Ozzy just "came up with a melody here or there" on those first two records is ridiculous. He may not have been part of the songwriting to the degree Daisley would have liked but he came up with vocal melodies for both of those albums that put them over the top.

25. Paulette

Block Tim, by all means, if you are really that threatened by him.
    But I will not tolerate your treatment of him.
    This is my thread. Leave or I will report you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.