Dismiss Notice
We are making some updates and reconfigurations to our server. Apologies for any downtime or slow forum loading now or within the next week or so. Thanks!

Temperature for storing cassettes

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Justme87, Jun 10, 2021 at 4:29 PM.

1. Justme87

Justme87 Active Member Thread Starter

Hi,

I’m rather new in collecting tapes.
    As my collection starts to grow I wanted to know the ideal conditions for storing them.

My room is sunlight free, low humidity and I store them upright on shelves. Most of the time it’s about 18 to 20 degrees Celsius (66 Fahrenheit) in my room.

My question: in Belgium we only have a few days a year where the temperature climbs up to higher temperatures. 30 to 32 Celsius in my room (88 to 90 Fahrenheit). Could this be harmful for playback?

Thanks in advance

2. I think you wouldn't need to worry. I've had tapes stored in my old bedroom in Southern Spain, at 800 meters from the sea and with Summer temperatures of over 40 ºC and these play great. More so, I've had a few DCC tapes and Mini Discs stored in the same room and when I moved to a new flat inland Spain, my old DCC portable deck and two Mini Disc stand alone and walkman popped up. On the new flat I wanted to test both my own recorded DCC tapes and Mini Discs. Mini Discs played flawlessly and DCC tapes had a few glitches here and there, around 3 or 4 on a 90 minute tape. But keep in mind that 'though DCC's digital format used error correction, it fitted 9 tracks where regular cassettes had only two. Also, the DCC tapes were recorded back in 1993/94, that's over 25 years ago.

jonwoody, pscreed and Justme87 like this.
  3. Justme87

Thx for the reply !
    Glad I don’t have to worry about the hot weather conditions only occurring a few times a year.
    I collect pre-recorded audio cassettes (genre metal) that are not released on vinyl/CD

pscreed and Kiko1974 like this.
  4. Wayne Nielson

Wayne Nielson Forum Resident

5. brockgaw

brockgaw Forum Resident

More importantly avoid electrical fields. I have seen people put cassettes on top of speakers and wonder what happened to the sound. I keep my cassettes in a temp-controlled and humidity-free basement.

Justme87 likes this.
  6. Lowrider75

Lowrider75 Forum Resident

I think you have an ideal setup.

George P likes this.
  7. regore beltomes

regore beltomes Forum Resident

I store mine in a basement cabinet. Temp seems more stable with de humidification.
    I try to keep the humidity at 35-50% year round. Not much use in the last 12 years though.

Justme87 likes this.
  8. Justme87

S
    Thx!
    So if the room temp. goes up to 90 farenheit (only a few days in a year) it should be no problem?

9. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Sultan Of Snark

Humidity is more of a factor. Also, like VCR tapes, I wouldn't leave them half-wound, if you can wind them all the way in one direction or the other. There are purists who insist on keeping VCR tapes standing up, with the tape wound so it sits on the bottom half of the cassette. Could just be anal-retentive posturing, though. But, it's all magnetic tape, and that leaves some risk of bleed-through over time, from one layer to the next; the emulsion side helps a little with that.

My advice, is just to transfer all magnetically-recorded media to digital medium as soon as possible.

Just to enjoy watching the analogue purists get their panties in a bunch. :D

bever70 and Justme87 like this.
  10. Lowrider75

Agree that humidity is the enemy of tape. 90°F is hot, make sure there's no direct sunlight.

Justme87 likes this.
  11. Lowrider75

I re-read your post. There is no sunlight. I think you're fine.

Justme87 likes this.
  12. vwestlife

vwestlife Forum Resident

Remember that people used to have no fear about leaving cassettes in a parked car in the sun with the windows closed, in which temperatures can reach above 150°F. Of course this isn't good for the cassette, but it's not normally going to be directly or immediately harmed by such heat.

The shell and storage case of a cassette tape are typically made of ABS plastic, which has a maximum operating temperature of 80°C (176°F). The tape itself is made of Mylar, which has a maximum service temperature of 149°C (300°F).

Justme87 and bever70 like this.
  13. Justme87

Thanks for the info!!!
    I guess they will be safe in my room

14. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Cool and dry. Below 70 c, but not freezing.

15. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

An old friend borrowed a tape from me (the master for a show recorded off the radio,) and left it on his dashboard. It melted.
    I have never found any "bootleg" to replace it either! :realmad::shake: