Ten Best Horror Movies

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by smilin ed, Oct 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PFA

PFA Forum Resident

The Shining is my favorite horror movie.

Other favorites include:

John Carpenter's Cigarette Burns (from Masters of Horror)
    In the Mouth of Madness
    Psycho
    The Birds
    Das Cabinet des Dr. Caligari

Karnak likes this.
  2. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

Abbott and Costello meet Frankenstein

andy749 likes this.
  3. marke

marke Forum Resident

My list-

1. The Exorcist
    2. The Shining
    3. The Fly (1986)
    4. The Thing (1982)
    5. Poltergeist
    6. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978) particularly the ending.
    7. Burnt Offerings
    8. Lost Highway
    9. Alien
    10. The Ring (original Japanese film)

4. Mark Nelson

Mark Nelson Forum Resident

Funny, I just co-hosted a special episode of the review show I work on yesterday, and the subject was our 10 favorite horror films. Maybe not the scariest, or the all-time best, but the 10 I'd first scoop up
    if required to.

Here was what I yakked about:

THE HAUNTING (1963)

PSYCHO (1960)

PHANTASM (1979)

THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE (1974)

ASYLUM (1972)

SUSPIRIA (1977)

DAWN OF THE DEAD (1978)

HOUSE ON HAUNTED HILL (1959)

HALLOWEEN (1978)

THEATRE OF BLOOD (1973)

5. wildroot indigo

wildroot indigo Forum Resident

10 favorites:

Dracula (1931)
    White Zombie (1933)
    Supernatural (1933)
    The Ghost Of Frankenstein (1942)
    The Uninvited (1945)
    Psycho (1960)
    The Haunting (1963)
    The Wicker Man (1973)
    The Changeling (1980)
    The Shining (1980)

Honorable mention: Doctor X (1932) with Fay Wray, directed by Michael Curtiz

Last edited: Oct 20, 2013
  6. Damiano54

Damiano54 Senior Member

Psycho
    Rosemary's Baby
    Bride of Frankenstein
    Alien
    The Innocents
    Invasion of the Body Snatchers (original)
    The Haunting
    The Omen
    Poltergeist
    Cat People (original)

Runner-ups:

Invisible Man
    Carrie
    Son of Frankenstein
    The Serpent and the Rainbow

7. Karnak

Karnak "81, 82, 83, 84..."

Glad to see there are more fans of 'The Changeling'.
    When I saw 'Phantasm' in the 80s, I liked it. But I don't think I'd watch it again, because it might seem really dated and lose that appeal. (That happened with 'The Sentinel' which I viewed recently.)

It's sort of a supernatural adventure story; but 'Brotherhood of the Wolf'. It's not in the ten, but still a good yarn.

smilin ed likes this.
  8. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member Thread Starter

I enjoyed Brotherhood of the Wolf too. Not sure how you'd class it. A hint of horror, some martial arts, a bit of a Western and a large dollop of Hound of the Baskervilles!

9. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Oh, I don't know. That's a pretty darn scary movie to me! Not many have scared me as much....one of those rare films where perhaps it belongs in both as its certainly sci Fi as well (I sure hope so)!

10. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Don't know if its scary as much as it is weird! Jonathan Price was wonderful in that role! I try and watch it from time to time but it sure drags in places! I wish they added another backstory or something....it could have been an amazing movie, just not enough there for a whole movie IMO.

11. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Definitely agree Jaws doesn't belong here, and you are spot on with Alien. And ya, Psycho is really more of a thriller though I can see some saying its horror. Halloween has to be my number one choice and at one time scared the heck out of me, but I've now seen it so many times its merely entertaining.

12. Maxwell999

Maxwell999 Active Member

10 Favorites:

The Shining
    Hellraiser
    Poltergeist
    The Descent
    The Grudge
    Texas Chainsaw Massacre
    The Ring (Japanese)
    The Conjuring
    Grave Encounters
    The Omen

13. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Halloween is another movie I enjoyed, but the video transfers were awful for a long time, partly due to its low budget. I'd like to see the newer HD scans from the camera negative and see if the movie holds up for me after 30 years.

14. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member Thread Starter

I think the boundaries of the genre - any genre - need to be flexible for growth, so I wouldn't want to argue against the presence of Jaws or Alien or Psycho on some of these lists, though strictly speaking their primary genre may lie elsewhere. The scene in Jaws where the guys are fishing at night builds up the tension and the audience's expectation using conventions of the horror genre pretty much the same way the attic scene does in The Exorcist and Psycho became something of a template for may other 'slasher' movies, though its subject matter was rooted in real life. If Psycho can't be classified at least partly as a horror, where does that leave Texas Chainsaw Massacre? More brutal, but inspired by the same events.

15. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

I would like to rewatch it at some point. I also tend to like horror from a certain period more for its mood and film quality than any real merit as a film.

I just rewatched Rituals (The Creeper), which also drags, like most of the films on my list.

16. dirtymac

dirtymac Forum Resident

Another list:

The Exorcist
    The Shining
    Halloween
    Evil Dead
    Rosemary's Baby
    Ring (Japanese)
    Jaws
    The Omen

17. Karnak

Karnak "81, 82, 83, 84..."

Yes, and even a little conspiratorial stuff-before Dan Brown-:agree:! It is said to have been based on a true pre-revolutionary story from France. As far as colours and costuming go, pretty decent too.

18. Hippie Saint

Hippie Saint Well-Known Member

The only movie that scared the bejesus outta me was 'The Ring'. The US remake that is, not the lame Japanese original. That's the only reason why I have so much respect for director Gore Verbinski. The rest, in my list below are not scary at all but are just well made horror flicks. I classify 'horror' involving spirits, ghosts, zombies and such. For killer sharks, axe-wielding psychos with Nixon masks and others that'll be in the 'thriller' category. Not so sure about aliens from another planet though, I guess it depends if they are scary or not. :)

My top ten Horror Movies:

1. The Ring ( US version)
    2. Shutter (the original Thai version)
    3. The Entity
    4. The Exorcist
    5. The Haunting (original)
    6. Drag Me To Hell
    7. Night Of The Living Dead (1968)
    8. Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark (1973 TV movie)
    9. Stir Of Echoes
    10. Sugarhill ( not actually well made but it's the only blaxploitation zombie flick I know. Now you don't get much of those, don't ya?)

19. erniebert

erniebert Shoe-string audiophile

The Omen should have been on that list.

20. JAWS - Spielberg
    ALIEN - Scott
    HALLOWEEN - Carpenter
    THE THING - Carpenter
    FAUST - Murnau
    FRANKENSTEIN - Whale
    RINGU - Nakata
    THE EXORCIST - Friedkin
    TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE - Hooper
    CAPE FEAR - Scorsese
    Honorable mention goes to my wedding video...

21. knob twirler

knob twirler Senior Member

I hadn't watched my wedding video in seven years, but popped it in the player the other day and - wouldn't you know it -
    James Franco was in that too. You can't get away from that dude.

Jrr likes this.
  22. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I just ordered the new bluray and I've heard it's nicely restored....will let you know. And after my new Wizard of Oz failed to play, I did go out and get a new mid level Panasonic player and it loads in seconds and plays fine now. I need to update that thread...will follow up with my thoughts on the new Halloween disc.

23. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Good points....

24. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Oh man, forgot about Cape Fear! That was something the first time I saw it, and it's still a fun ride. DiNero is just amazing, as always. Was well cast and well acted.

25. To this day, I've never seen so many people walk out of the theater as when I saw 'Cape Fear' in '91. Some folks actually ran. When 'The Gimp' scene went down in 'Pulp Fiction' was a close 2nd!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.