Terrified that I bent my stylus on my Clearaudio Concept... help me not panic!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Matt Kessler, Sep 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. G E

G E Senior Member

If it’s under warranty contact dealer/Clearaudio ASAP.

you may get a replacement or get a nice discount on a replacement.

Worth a try

Fishoutofwater likes this.
  2. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

Not a big learning curve if you get the AT version, one of the VM95 series carts. The new AT's have threaded mounting so no need for nuts and washers. So that part is easy. Your headshell leads are color coded and AT provides a diagram. Last thing is alignment, which will be based on your turntable's recommendations.

3. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

Not sure where he's coming from, but this is not true. The "fine tuning" isn't that difficult, but you have to have a steady hand, patience, and the right tools including an alignment protractor. Got to be a dozen shops in the greater LA area where you could buy a new cartridge and have them properly install it. Here's one that seems to know a lot about your table:

Turntables - Audio Element - HiFi Essentials

Ask the dealer his thoughts on using a cartridge with a replaceable stylus so you can easily swap it out yourself when its life is over.

4. Matt Kessler

Matt Kessler Well-Known Member Thread Starter

That's where I had my turntable set up!

I'm actually in NYC now.

There are plenty of shops, the problem is the COVID stuff..

5. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

Indeed, and sorry for the misunderstanding. Order an Audio-Technica AT-VM95EN or VM95ML from Amazon. Got to be someone in NYC on this forum who can stop by with their bag of tricks and set this up for you. Maybe offer a bottle of scotch? Unfortunately, I'm 250 miles away.

patient_ot likes this.
  6. Pretorius

Pretorius Forum Resident

Because Clearaudio cartridges do not have a user replaceable stylus they offer a trade in re-tip price. A Clearaudio dealer should offer this service but here is an online source. You will get a new cartridge at a discount when you return this one (in any condition). You can also use this service for a discount on a better cartridge like the Clearaudio Performer.

Clearaudio Concept V2 MM Cartridge 3.3mV

7. Matt Kessler

I'm certainly open to it!

I'm going to be getting a replacement Clearaudio MM cart though so no need for AT replacements.

8. Your dealer will do it all; get the wine on the go

9. Matt Kessler

He's across the country so he'll be mailing me one to hopefully not screw up on my own lol!

10. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

The stylus is user-replaceable, they just lie to you and say it isn't - see the post upthread. Those carts are based on AT carts, they just put them in a wood or metal shell and slap on their brand name. One of the biggest ripoffs in hi-fi IMHO.

snorker and macster like this.
  11. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

There has to be a dealer local to you now. Get in touch with them. Clearaudio might offer a similar program to Dynavector, whereby they'll replace your cartridge with a new one. If not, buy the new one from the dealer and ask them to install it. They will probably do it for free if you buy it from them.

I mounted a cart on my Technics more than once and more than once I contemplated throwing the entire lot out the window. It was a pain in the back side for me. Others on here probably love doing it. Not me. Mine are mounted by my dealer now. :)

macster likes this.
  12. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I will add...it's probably advisable for you to find a new local dealer anyway, so this will take in that direction now rather than later. :)

13. Matt Kessler

This is wise but at the end of November I'm moving AGAIN... this year has been crazy. Moving possibly to Portland so I'll have to find a hifi dealer there.. but I'd love to be able to listen to my records for the next few months prior to that hah

14. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

Should you dabble in aligning the new cart yourself, here's a thread on the Concept. It also mentions you can just do a simpler overhang method and get in the ballpark too. Turntable setup- Vinyl Engine

15. Davey

Davey NP: CLARAGUILAR ~ Figura (2024)

Looks like you have the Satisfy tonearm on your Concept, lots of info here on aligning the Marantz TT-15S1 which uses the same tonearm (and basically the same cartridge in a higher priced package).

Thoughts on the Marantz TT-15S1?

16. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

Matt, I am sure we can walk you through replacing the cartridge (or stylus assembly) yourself, but do keep pursuing getting Clearaudio to have a dealer do it under warranty. Let us know how it is going.

17. Matt Kessler

Thanks Tony. Dealer is helping me out big time, gonna get me a new cartridge and I'm sending the old one back and he's going to help me over the phone make sure it's installed properly. Will come here if I need more assistance, you guys are great.

18. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

Matt, Glad to here this.

19. Matt Kessler

UPDATE: I got the new cartridge, installed it easily enough, sounds great and looks great again. It's crazy how different the stylus looks on this than on mine. I went back and played my rare record that I was worried about and it sounds great, so I think I avoided groove damage thankfully. Ready to break this bad boy in again :)

Tony Plachy, struttincool and Davey like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.