SH Spotlight Test the midrange purity of your system and/or your computer speakers using Bing Crosby!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Jan 30, 2016.

1. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

$105.83 on Amazon.ca

Perhaps in the future Steve just send me a private message?

:p

2. Joy-of-radio

Joy-of-radio Forum Resident

Just for the fun of it I listened to this one more time tonight, and I can hear the PA system leak into the recording at :25 and carry through until almost :28, although I observed the effect most on the vocal.

3. colormesinatra

colormesinatra Forum Resident

Yes!

4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

The in-house PA system in a live radio studio during the 1930s and 40s had to be really good. It could never feed back during a live coast to coast broadcast, it had to be loud enough for the entire audience to hear and it had to be high quality. People talk about when PA systems came into their own during pop concerts but the radio experts at NBC/CBS and Mutual had it down by 1935..

5. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

:laugh::laugh:

I can hear it for sure on my average Phillips headphones here on my computer ....

6. Joy-of-radio

Joy-of-radio Forum Resident

Not my intention to pull this thread off-topic, but I love intentional reverb as well when it's done artfully. A good example is the song "I Only Have Eyes For You" by The Flamingos where the backing vocals are steeped in reverb and where the lead vocal is not. IMO though, I think Hank Thompson gets the best use of reverb award!

Midrange is a beautiful thing, and brims with detail! :)

McLover likes this.
  7. Steve Hoffman

Hank told me he had his own button on stage so he could do that echo thing.

8. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

Yes I can hear the change at 0:26: it sounds like a muted trumpet ! :D

All jokes aside, I'm glad I was able to hear the subtle reverb change even on a compressed Youtube video. I never thought it would be possible.
    It is audible in my Focal Spirit One headphone I love so much. Now I have to run the test on my main stereo system.

9. Matt A

Matt A Forum Resident

Listening on my 2009 Macbook laptop, I hear room sound on the word 'by' during the line you mentioned.

10. Matt A

Matt A Forum Resident

Hear it on the previous line during the word 'for', as well.

11. Stefano G.

Stefano G. Ab alto, speres alteri quod feceris.

I'm not an audiophile and I don't want to become an audiophile (what does mean to be an audiophile? spending 100.000 $ to buy a stereo system? arguing with another audiophile because my speakers are better than his?), but I think that it's pretty incredible claiming to perceive the ambience of a sound using a laptop. No offense, of course.
    The type of sound discussed in this thread, is designed to highlight (if any) the sense of ambience (as for midrange, specifically) that our system is able to offer. Based on my humble opinion, no laptop is able to offer that, even a Mac.

SixtiesGuy likes this.
  12. mindblanking

mindblanking The Bourbon King

On behalf of Amazon, MCA, the Crosby estate and third party sellers everywhere I'd like to thank Steve Hoffman for single handedly driving up the price of a long dead crooner's compilation CD.

Hilarious! Can someone send me 45 seconds worth?

13. Vinyl Fan 1973

Actually my amp is in the shop, but I was able to hear it through my Ipad and my Grado headset. I'll test my system once I get my amp back.

That being said, if it were not for this thread, I would never had picked it out, or noticed.

Davidmk5 likes this.
  14. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

Wow! I guess the ones yesterday that were under $10 are gone (I snagged one).

Vinyl Fan 1973 likes this.
  15. Vinyl Fan 1973

Yup. Gone fast. I'm going to check HMV today for fun. I assume we are talking about the 1997 version as being the one to get? There is also one selling from 1989.

16. jukes

jukes Forum Resident

Amazing. Decided just to try the tune with stereos. Just amazing. With computer I heard something, or at least I believed so, but with stereos there was a clear change of sonics/space. Based on my efforts with the computer, I just wouldn't believe it to be that distinct.

Some test track, indeed,

Now I would order the cd, but the one at certain trustworthy Amazon.de seller was gone today...

17. wcarroll

wcarroll Senior Member

Check this out. Perhaps this is what he was referring to? Uses a tape delay... "the memory of the unit" in the ad.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

On a side note, I have to comment on how good the overall sound of the recording is - even from a you tube video. Clear but with warmth. The vocal had a presence in the room. I very much enjoyed it.

Steve Hoffman likes this.
  19. Steve Hoffman

That'd be it..

20. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

That ad is great; it gives you everything but a schematic. You can create a boogie basement jam fest and you get a naugahyde carrying case! I would love to see the insides of that showing how the tape delay works. Cool stuff thanks.

21. SgtPepper1983

SgtPepper1983 Forum Resident

I'm still not sure what one's supposed to hear. A kind of echo? I hear something different - a bit like an overdub - on that one line but not even close to being able to 'hear the room'. A bit sad now......great recording, though! And that amazon thing is hilarious!!!!

22. Steve Hoffman

And this was just Bing's CBS radio show engineer, this wasn't even recorded in a proper studio. Sadly, we have no idea of the name of this fine sound mixer but he did a great job, keeping the full orchestra just under Bing's voice at all times, never too low, never too high, Bing always out in front even during quiet passages. A lost art, doing that live with no remixing!

23. thxphotog

thxphotog Camera Nerd Cycling Nerd Guitar Nerd Dietary Nerd

edit: Just read page 3 to see others have beaten me to the joke. :) (deleted due to redundance) Too little too late.

Fun stuff though. Looking forward to playing around w/ this track.

24. thxphotog

thxphotog Camera Nerd Cycling Nerd Guitar Nerd Dietary Nerd

Elvis would sing his own echo live like a kid pretending to be a baseball stadium P.A. announcer. Lord almighty, I fell my temperature rising...rising.........rising.............rising.................

25. ricks

ricks Senior Member

:whistle: hmm I remember seeing that before