Tex Avery toons coming from Warner Archive *

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by DetroitDoomsayer, Jan 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

I guess I took him up on the call to action - I heard him on a podcast taking about the Porky 101 set and pretty much bought it a few days after. I should have it soon - it should be a lot of fun to watch.
    I’ve got no problem popping for these sets if it sends a message that they’re in demand.

2. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Thanks! I remember the jet one, too.

3. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

Oh baby, I think this may be the most needed video release of all time -- a quality Tex Avery collection. BRING IT ON

4. Marshall

Marshall Forum Resident

I'm really impressed by the Tex Avery Blu-ray set. I was familiar with Little Red Hot Riding Hood and the Droopy films. But, I hadn't seen a lot of the cartoons in the release, like Batty Baseball, Symphony In Slang, The Hick Chick, and the rest. Picture quality's great, like the Popeye discs. Here's my web article/review of the set:
    “Tex Avery Screwball Classics Volume 1" Blu-ray Review

supermd and PhantomStranger like this.
  5. Agreed, it's a nice set.

6. Marshall

Marshall Forum Resident

I didn't watch The Tex Avery Show when it was on Cartoon Network and Boomerang. But, watching this set, showed my how inventive
    Avery was as an animation director.

7. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

So....we can assume a Vol. 2 will have to happen?

8. Marshall

Marshall Forum Resident

Jerry Beck is going to be the guest on Stu's Show this Wednesday, and I'm sure he'll discuss that. My opinion is I think yes,
    but that's just my opinion. Jerry will no doubt mention how sales have been for the Vol. 1 disc.

supermd and vince like this.
  9. justanotherhifienthusiast

justanotherhifienthusiast Forum Resident

Day one buy for me. Amazing

Jazzmonkie likes this.
  10. Marshall

Marshall Forum Resident

Agreed!

11. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

WOW! this is great, thanks...memories are flooding.

12. Marshall

Marshall Forum Resident

Michael likes this.
  13. Antifrodis

Antifrodis Forum Resident

I must have seen "Symphony In Slang" at least a dozen times as a kid. It was always in the rotation of MGM shorts shown on our local station. However, "Batty Baseball", "The Hick Chick" and "Red Hot Riding Hood" were never shown as far as I remember. "Little Rural Riding Hood" was in the mix, so I was familiar with the Red character by the time I saw "Red Hot.." years later. One downside of the airings of these shorts way back when was the removal of all the opening and closing credits, most likely for time saving measures. So I knew none of the shorts by name until we got cable and WTBS was showing them. Thanks for sharing the review!

14. Marshall

Marshall Forum Resident

You're very welcome! I appreciate your info, also. I'm glad the opening and closing credits are there for the Blu-ray, too.

Michael likes this.
  15. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

16. Marshall

Marshall Forum Resident

Here's the update from Jerry Beck's appearance on the Stu's Show podcast. He said there will be a Volume 2 Tex Avery Blu-ray released before the end of the year. It would be before Christmas time. There may be bonus features this time. Also, he hinted that the remaining Screwy Squirrel cartoon, Happy-Go-Nutty, would be one of the cartoons on Volume 2. The Popeye 1950's cartoons are in a holding pattern for the moment. He said the Tex Avery cartoons on Volume 1 were in the best condition of the MGM Avery films in the Warner Archive's possession.

supermd likes this.
  17. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue.

This set is fantastic.

The cartoons are creative in a way that seems modern but couldn’t be because we have lost some of that sense of screwball fun. You have never seen these cartoons looking or sounding so good.

Buy and encourage the release of the next volume.

18. Marshall

Marshall Forum Resident

John,
    I saw Jerry Beck's appearance last week on Stu's Show, and he said there definitely's going to be a Tex Avery Blu-ray set volume two .
    Marshall

John B likes this.
  19. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

For some strange reason, "The Cat That Hated People" popped in my head...
    Was THAT one of Tex's?

g.z. likes this.
  20. Marshall

Marshall Forum Resident

[
    Yes, it was.
    Marshall

g.z. and vince like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.