Thank You Mr. Hoffman

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Joseph, Mar 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joseph

Joseph Senior Member Thread Starter

I have recently listened to your Buddy Holly, Mamas and Papas and Who's Next masterpieces and am astounded as to how much better they are than the most recent versions of the same music
    done by others (Buddy Holly gold MCA, Mamas & Papas Greatest Hits 1998 and MFSL Who's Next).

I can really hear into the recording and venue. Just sounds like real music compared to more recent versions listed above.

Steve - What would new versions of the above done today (with your added experience and new tube equipment) uncover in the music?

Thanks for the music,

Regards,
    Tangent

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Thanks, Tangent!

If I did them over today? Well, I don't know. Buddy Holly and The Who would probably sound the same. A/D converters are a little better, but (as you can hear), it wasn't exactly the dark ages of digital in the 1980's, no matter what some might think.

The Mamas & Papas stuff I would probably play back on a tube reproducer to get a little more body to the music. Things get a little slower when played back on a tube machine, that's the trade off, but the added ambience would make it worth it, IMO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.