That '90s Show on Netflix

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Scope J, Nov 29, 2022.

1. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

I finished all 10 episodes and really enjoyed them. It took a few episodes to get over some awkwardness but I think by the end it was beginning to hit a stride.

I'd certainly like to see more, hope it gets a go.

2. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

We watched the first 3 episodes tonight. I found myself laughing a lot more at the original characters than at the kids. I also noticed a couple of things in the storylines that seemed to borrow from the original show….the beer tap for example. I thought sure they were going to “borrow” Red’s tap.

We will definitely stick with this season to see how it goes.

RickH, dasacco and Matthew Tate like this.
  3. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member Thread Starter

That laugh-track!

UGH!

4. mep

mep Forum Resident

Started watching yesterday with the intention to only watch the first few episodes, but continued to watch them all. I really enjoyed it much more than I had expected (Fuller House I stopped after the first few episodes for example). It’s really entertaining, the kids have a great chemistry and it actually feels like a classic 90s sitcom. It’s not perfect or groundbreaking in any means, the premise of the whole season is a bit silly and for me they couldnt land the ending of the season as well or strong as I had hoped for, but I enjoyed most of the episodes, some jokes were really, really funny and especially Leia is just adorable. Hope the show will continue for further seasons.

RickH, Matthew Tate and dasacco like this.
  5. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

They were pretty aged already in the first series...

Mister Charlie and Matthew Tate like this.
  6. Kyle B

Kyle B Forum Resident

Just like the original!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  7. SandAndGlass

While I dislike laugh-tracks immensely, I think it needs to go with the show from a nostalgic preservation perspective.

8. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

Just started watching the first three episodes. It's not bad -- it's not as great as the first few seasons of "That 70's Show", but it's a decent modern-era Netflix sitcom. It was cool to to see Topher, Laura, Ashton, Mila and Wilmer make cameos.

dasacco and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  9. ArchFates

ArchFates Forum Resident

How much of the 90s is there in the show, and more importantly, in the characters?

10. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world

first episode was painful for me; the kids were awful... will watch at least two more to see if it finds its rhythm...

11. SandAndGlass

I think that any show that is riding on the heels of others has to find its stride. That goes equally for the writers as well as the actors.

Budgets can not overcome this. Star Trek TNG took quite a number of episodes to find its stride.

The kids on Stranger Things were a bit unsure and overly deliberate of their actions and lines in the earlier episodes.

Though the show is casual 80's, in reality these are 21st Century kids, who really have no idea how the 80's were. Now the "kids" are the best part of the show...

12. razerx

razerx Forum Resident

I tuned in for the old cast reunion and was not disappointed but the show can’t survive on nostalgia and cameos. Too early to tell.

13. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

14. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world

15. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

yeesh. made it 5 minutes. that was terrible.

16. GwendolynBee

GwendolynBee New Member

Ok so I watched the entire season I’m my son. First of all is anyone questioning the fact that Michael Kelso’s DAUGHTER did not appear on the show and that based upon what I know about That 70’s Show these kids would all have had to be born within months of the last episode. If I’m wrong on by that then please let me know. I do love that Fez was more than just a cameo. I always loved him! And is this show going to only be set in the summer? I’m curious where they are going to go with this. It would’ve been a better idea to bring Leia to Point Place on a more permanent type of stay but I’m not sure how they could write that…Maybe her parents are going on an overseas tour for mom’s book. Just spitballing here. But seriously could Jay Kelso be any more like his “dad” At some points he even sounds just like him!

17. Kyle B

Kyle B Forum Resident

I read an interview with the producers and they confirmed that each season will be set in the summer. They were excited about it, because they won’t have to deal with school, and because they can change up the dynamics each year given that a bit of time has passed between each set of episodes.

18. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

So is another season confirmed?

19. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts

Thanks, I did a search for a thread on the show prior to posting this one but couldn't find it, as happens quite often here. :realmad:

Last edited: Jan 25, 2023
  20. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

What made Red Forman funny is that the targets of his barbs were well-written, relatable, "lovable loser" types -- usually Eric, but also Bob and sometimes Kelso. Without those foils for Red's anger, Red is nothing.

Boom Operator likes this.
  21. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

The kid who plays Ozzy seems like he is quoting one liners instead of acting out dialogue. And his voice is very irritating and obnoxious.

Dudley Morris and Boom Operator like this.
  22. AndyTaylor

AndyTaylor Forum Resident

Kobra Kai. Nothing else springs to mind.

23. AndyTaylor

AndyTaylor Forum Resident

Oh, Doctor Who 2005.

24. MechanicalAnimal6

MechanicalAnimal6 Forum Resident

made it thru episode 3 or 4 so far.
    i like it
    i don't love it, but i don't hate it either. it's okay.

70's show was a favorite of mine back then, so it's still nice to relive some similar things in this show.
    most of the kid main actors i don't like though, mostly just the main girl and her neighbor female friend.

great to see a lot of the older characters back too....shame some of them couldn't be there.

25. SandAndGlass

I just watched S1:E1.

Red & Kitty don't look like they have changed a bit. Could have been just another season for them.

Kelso's kid has his mannerisms. Leia, I like. The rest. Just no...