The 1 Song That Ruins An Album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dominick, Dec 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Yes in fact I would skip out Mouses Night instead of Inside and Out or even Please Dont Touch.

I still think the album works as is.

They would be guilty of worse much later on, next album in fact.

Snow2 likes this.
  2. Odysseus

Odysseus Forum Resident

I don't get the fanatical love for "Inside and Out"... my god what a boring song with dumb lyrics! I suppose the opening guitar arpeggiation is kinda cool, but when the lyrics start about a guy who goes in and out of jail/prison I can't help but feel like I'm listening to a song goofing on Marty McFly's uncle from the first Back to the Future movie.

3. BurtThomasWard

BurtThomasWard Guided by Loke In Memoriam

Yeah, I was just thinking if they for some strange reason needed a cover. "I'm Down" is one of my favorites and "Yes It Is", eh, isn't. So tht would make it sort of an easy choice for me ;)

"Wait" would also make sense and it has got that sound.

4. bataclan2002

bataclan2002 All You Need Is Now.

For me, “Temptation” from Around the World in a Day, particularly the spoken word part. Would have worked better (brilliantly even) if the coda was an instrumental.

5. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

I love my original UK version with "Mermaid Smiled." I'm thrilled there's a version without the dreadful "Dear God," which is an ignorant and mean-spirited song. They were right to leave it off.

6. Hexwood

Hexwood Forum Resident

Court & Spark - Twisted
    Fleetwood Mac - Sugar Daddy

7. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

I have mixed feelings about the song, but I wouldn't describe it as ignorant or mean-spirited. It's a heavy handed take on the philosophical "problem of evil" question. Over time, I've grown so accustomed to its place in the sequencing of the album--it's basically like the dramatic climax of the whole thing--that it would feel like something vital was missing if it were removed.

8. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Well, Andy certainly could have read something more intellectual and insightful on the subject like C.S. Lewis' "The Problem Of Pain" before he let this heavy-handed and over-bearing track loose.

9. Snow2

Snow2 Forum Resident

I actually like the lyrics…about a guy accused of something he didn't do. I also love the way the song builds up and the musicianship od Banks and Hackett at the end is a great moment for me. So still love Inside and Out!

yesstiles likes this.
  10. Odysseus

Odysseus Forum Resident

The song sounds like what it is... b-side material. Glad it didn't make it on W&W.

11. redsock

redsock Writer, reader, grouch.

I love Hopkins's playing with the Stones, but I don't like this song. Never have, really. Jagger's delivery strikes me as overly affected. ... Maybe it doesn't ruin the album (it would be hard to truly ruin Sticky Fingers), but I'll skip it every time.

12. Bern

Bern JC4Me

Not that it ruins it...but "Daddy's Tune" on JB's The Pretender is just average. I would boot it.

Bern

13. eyeCalypso

eyeCalypso Forum Resident

That's because it made his songs sound that much better.

14. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

I don't mind the song that much but
    I listened this week to the new U2 album with a friend he disliked American Soul.

15. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

I don't mind the song that much but Student Demonstration on The Beach Boys Surfs Up kind of throws a wrench in this album.

Than again Student Demonstration could also just fit in for historical reasons as far as the time in America.

16. redsock

redsock Writer, reader, grouch.

I love Bob Mould's The Last Dog and Pony Show, but "Megamaniac" is as out of place as a song on an album can be.

Paul King likes this.
  17. Syscrusher

Syscrusher Forum Resident

Whatever song Ringo is singing.

BrutandCharisma likes this.
  18. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

Voices Of Old People
    Thoughts On A Grey Day

19. Odysseus

Odysseus Forum Resident

"Virginia Moon" on the Foo Fighters' In Your Honor

"Red Hot" on Mötley Crüe's Shout at the Devil

"The Girl in the Yellow Dress" from David Gilmour's Rattle That Lock

"Hot Dog" on Led Zeppelin's In Through the Out Door

"Who Says" on John Mayer's Battle Studies

"Acid Bubble" on Alice in Chains' Black Gives Way to Blue

"Eternal" on Depeche Mode's Spirit

maui jim likes this.
  20. Snow2

Snow2 Forum Resident

Well we can agree to disagree. I would still prefer Inside and Out to Tou have Your own special Way (YHYOSW)

Got me thinking actually, who would do the best cover version of YHYOSW - One Direction or Adele?

21. maui jim

maui jim Forum Resident

Agreed on Hot Dog but Yellow Dress is the one song that sticks with me after listening to the album.
    I’m sorry not familiar with th others
    My selection is All Nite Laundramat Blues by Joe Walsh on So What. An absolute lovely sounding album and then this turd.

22. Odysseus

Odysseus Forum Resident

Yeah, I figure "Yellow Dress" is a bit of a polarizing song... fans will either love it or hate it I suppose.

23. 81531

81531 Forum Resident

Queen - Jazz (Mustapha)

maui jim likes this.
  24. v3spertine

v3spertine Forum Resident

"Fly" (The title track) by Yoko Ono off Fly

Zack likes this.
  25. Lucas Ferreira

Lucas Ferreira Active Member

Fields Of Opportunity is, IMO, "too country" for the rest of the album (even more so than Four Strong Winds, that actually really fits nicely into the albums vibe)

yesstiles likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.