The 1 Song That Ruins An Album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dominick, Dec 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rock4ev

rock4ev Forum Resident

The song Mother on Synchronicity by the Police, It doesn't ruin the album but it's harsh, the only track by them that I don't enjoy to listening to, though I sometimes do end up listening to it because I am not near the controls or a remote to skip it.

2. catnip nation

catnip nation Forum Resident

See Saw on Saucer by Floyd......I would always just skip to Jug Band Blues.

3. rjp

rjp Senior Member

my wife - who's next

Mooserfan likes this.
  4. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

I agree it was a poor single choice.

5. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident

Although a Beatle freak since the 60s they have 2 songs that I select;
    Beatles Mr Moonlight this song is like Ken Griffey at the organ type fodder.For me it is so out of place on what could have been a even stronger album without this.Literally my least fav Beatle tune.
    2.Beatles-Drive My Car.I grew up on the US edition which IMO is a better album,most of us on SHF know it is not on that issue.That being said the song just seems out of place on the UK edition.Thank goodness it was placed at the beggining of the LP.
    3.Doors Alabama Song (Whiskey Bar) amongst all the essential Doors material on their debut and 1 of my all-time fav LPs this song just is out of place on a otherwise Psychedelic masterpiece.
    4.Stones-Country Honk from LIB breaks the continuity of a otherwise great LP.Although the Stones began including a country flavored tune on their albums in 1968s BB the rest of the country songs were not remakes of a already released song.This is my 2nd fav Stones LP but a remake of a great Stones single come on man!

6. HenryFly

HenryFly Forum Resident

'Invocation for ratiocination' on "Sometimes I wish we were an eagle"
    Bill Callahan.

The only ratiocinative explanation must invoke the fact that he obviously felt his next record wouldn't have half a chance of matching this one if he didn't sabotage it.

7. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

I'll agree with this.

If Revolution 9 had been on one of those wacko John & Yoko albums instead, how many people would have even heard it, I wonder.

sunking101 and Gila like this.
  8. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

I used to be flabbergasted as to why they would throw this one onto an otherwise PERFECT record.

Nowadays I've grown to like it.

goodiesguy, Tokyo Ghost and Fullbug like this.
  9. Summerisle

Summerisle Forum Resident

I still like side 2. Not for everyone? Sure but I still like it.

10. Minstrel Boy

Minstrel Boy Forum Resident

Maybe "Goin' Home" doesn't exactly ruin Aftermath, but by the time it's over you might have forgotten how great the rest of the album is.

11. Summerisle

Summerisle Forum Resident

“Morning Bell” Kid A and Amnesiac version. Radiohead.

12. Bruno Primas

Bruno Primas Forum Resident

"Who Dunnit?", off of Abacab. Genesis. Slightly catchy, mostly annoying.

13. John Porcellino

John Porcellino Forum Resident

It took me a long time to dig this track. Finally, when I learned to see it as an heir to one of their earlier kinda humorous songs like Pictures of Lily or I'm a Boy, I grew to appreciate it.

14. John Porcellino

John Porcellino Forum Resident

My pick is Dr. Robert. On its own it's not a terrible track, but IMO it's the only retrograde tune on Revolver. It sounds like a gussied up Rubber Soul outtake and is the weak link in Revolver's chain. I suppose it doesn't ruin the album for me, but it's the one moment of weakness.

Even so, I've tried making a playlist that adds the single and subtracts Robert, and it's enjoyable, but I've heard Robert in that context so long I kind of miss it there.

JDeanB likes this.
  15. MagneticNorthpaw

MagneticNorthpaw Senior Member

In my mind, a top five prime offender would be the cover of Twinkle's "Golden Lights" on the Smiths' Louder Than Bombs compilation. Johnny Marr himself called it one of the "two low points of our recording career, certainly. They're really inferior, and don't deserve a place alongside our own material." [The other song in question was their cover of Cilla Black's "Work Is a Four-Letter Word."]

redsock and Tokyo Ghost like this.
  16. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

Industrial Disease on Dire Straits' Love Over Gold. Great and fun single and all that, but it really doesn't fit the overall mood of the LP imo. Doesn't help it's exactly in the middle either...

17. Brudr

Brudr Forum Resident

"Cook Of The house" - Wings At The speed Of sound"

Galaga King, yesstiles and Gila like this.
  18. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

Yes, not the best Beatle track. Better with the rocking "I'm Down" instead at the end. Replace "Act Naturally" with "Yes it Is" and you are heading into Rubber Soul quality territory overall.

Denim Chicken likes this.
  19. spencer1

spencer1 Great Western Forum Resident

Doesn't ruin the album and it remains one of my absolute favorite
    LP's...
    But I always skip "Feedback" on "Live/Dead"

[​IMG]

20. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

And with Conquistador, Zap City and Groove Co already done there was no reason for a cover being on the album.

sunking101 likes this.
  21. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

"The Baby Song" on Husker Du's Flip Your Wig. That album is damn near perfect apart from this bit of nonsense. It's only a minute long and is kind of funny, but it totally ruins the flow of the album.

22. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

Just the album cover would stop me, almost as bad as the last one.

beasandpeans and Mother like this.
  23. Terry

Terry Senior Member

Mother from Synchronicity.

24. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

Sure, we know it splits opinion but I regard the trilogy of Lennon tracks at the end of side 4 just as artistically satisying in their dreamlike and disturbing way as A Day in the Life.

Chuckee likes this.
  25. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly 1964-73 rock's best decade

Bip Bop on WILD LIFE

If it was a minute long snippet it would be OK, but it goes on repetitively (and annoyingly) for over 4 minutes of nonsense lyrics and poor singing. Coming after another nonsense song (Mumbo, which is kind of rocking fun) Bip Bop makes for one nonsense song too many.
    Were WILD LIFE an album with 10-12 songs one could somewhat ignore it, but with only 8 songs, having one real stinker detracts from the album in a major way.

Mooserfan likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.