“The 3” - A bit of a game

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Drew D. Saur, Oct 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

How about David Gilmour?

Fantastic guitar player, and a great singer. He's certainly contributed as a songwriter to classic Pink Floyd. He's not a lyricist though.

But he meets all three criteria if you ask me.

grbl likes this.
  2. DVEric

DVEric Satirical Intellectual

Emitt Rhodes & Jeff Buckley (although maybe not quite a world-class musician).

[​IMG]

SuntoryTime and gramfan like this.
  3. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

How about Nat King Cole?

World class pianist, singer, and songwriter, without doubt.

SixtiesGuy, smoke, lrpm and 4 others like this.
  4. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident

Perhaps George Harrison? Perhaps not the best singer but I think his voice is good enough to make the cut-off, he's got a nice and unique voice, as well as class songwriting skills and great guitar wrangling.

5. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

Stevie Ray Vaughan.

6. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

I really can't think of any artist among those that I admire that has all three of these qualities. I can think of many who are world-class in two of the categories, but serviceable in the third -- for example, Iris DeMent is a perfectly serviceable pianist and guitarist on top of being a brilliant songwriter and singer. Brian Wilson is another example (and he might qualify if you take his "instrument" to be the studio).

Here were the closest guesses I could come up with off the top of my head:

* Van Morrison - indisputably a "world-class" singer and songwriter; he has also become one of the better rock and roll saxophonists, a rather small field -- but is he "world-class"? (You'll find 5 more versatile saxophonists in any university jazz program.)
    * Marvin Gaye - I'm not sure if he's a "world-class" instrumentalist, but he was an excellent drummer and pianist, definitely more than serviceable.
    * Lou Reed - many would dispute him being a "world-class" guitarist or singer, but he has been very influential on both counts
    * Roger McGuinn - many would dispute him being a "world-class" singer, but he was the major influence on Tom Petty and Alex Chilton, among many others; his guitar playing is irreproachable and innovative; and he wrote or co-wrote the lion's share of the Byrds' most famous original songs.
    * Curtis Mayfield - a fine guitarist - but "world-class"?
    * Neil Young - perhaps he doesn't qualify as a singer, but many people cherish his voice

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  7. DJ FeltTip

DJ FeltTip New Member

I like to think of candidates in terms of the genre that they play in. I think they need to be judged contextually. For example, would you ask Stevie Wonder to write a metal song and expect it to be fantastic?

Locks:
    Lindsey Buckingham - Great guitar player. Great songwriter. Great voice. So yes, he's there.
    Stevie Ray Vaughn - In the context of the style of music that he does, he hits all three. One of the top rock/blues guitar players of all time, top-notch blues songwriting, and his voice is just perfect for what he does. Yes.

Maybe:
    Dave Grohl. The man can write a rock song, that's for sure, and has proved it over and over. Vocals, in context, are great. His screams are great, nearly at the Daltrey level. Not a great guitar player, but his drumming is top notch. He's not technically as sound as say, Neil Peart, but many groups seek him out to play on their records. Queens of the Stone Age & Them Crooked Vultures for example.

Sir Paul. Songwriting - duh. Vocals - duh. His bass playing is very underrated. Contextually, I think his approach to the bass was revolutionary. His parts were creative and very different than what bass players were doing at the time.

Fun to discuss:
    Joe Jackson
    Jimi Hendrix
    Gilmour

Correct me if I'm wrong, Drew, but I think the point is that based on the criteria there won't be too many people with this type of talent around. Just too hard to be great at everything, so there aren't too many.

JimC likes this.
  8. Drew D. Saur

Drew D. Saur Forum Resident Thread Starter

I don't think he had more than a handful of his well-known songs that he wrote himself: Straighten Up and Fly Right being perhaps the most famous. Mostly, he was known for singing other people's songs.

9. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Willie Nelson.

10. Drew D. Saur

Most of his more famous work was co-written with others.

11. Drew D. Saur

OK there you go. Now, this gets into a whole other category, wherein the voice is incredibly distinctive but only controversially great. That said, I am on the side of liking his voice and would happily include him in "The 3."

Jonboy likes this.
  12. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

The more I think of it, it's got to be Marvin Gaye. He began at Motown as a session drummer and was good enough to play drums on several other people's Motown hits, some of which he wrote (e.g., "Dancing in the Streets.") The rest speaks for itself.

JohnnyQuest and SixtiesGuy like this.
  13. BLUESJAZZMAN

BLUESJAZZMAN I Love Blues, Jazz, Rock, My Son & Honest People

Ray Charles & Curtis Mayfield are all Three

Chev likes this.
  14. Drew D. Saur

Ray Charles has come up a number of times, including in this thread. Seems like a valid choice. What's been difficult to ascertain is his songwriting credits. There is a lot of mixed information out there; you will find that he actually co-wrote more than a couple of his famously composed songs, or that his well-known songs were deliberately derivative of other gospel tunes. That said, this thread could use a direct injection of expert knowledge here, so I would appreciate someone explaining his songwriting credits more clearly! Thanks!

And, Curtis Mayfield. Holy cow, he's "The 3" for sure. Nice one.

BLUESJAZZMAN likes this.
  15. Drew D. Saur

That tidbit about his drumming is interesting - I was unaware. Sounds like a real candidate for "The 3." This is what makes this so cool, at least for me. :) Nice, nice nice. Thanks!

Maggie likes this.
  16. BLUESJAZZMAN

Yeah....When we talk about musical genius then Mayfield should always be up there. There is no end to the mans musical talents. I agree on your points about Ray Charles. He never wrote for long enough but in that short timehe did prove himself to be a solid songwriter!!

17. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

There is one of those 'Classic Album' TV shows about SITKOL, and Stevie demonstrates how he recorded one song, he lays down some keyboard parts, then adds the drums, and then goes back and fills out the sound with more keyboard work, amazing seeing him do it. He nearly creates the whole thing from scratch on his own, just the horns and a bass player were other people.

18. Yeah, I don't think anyone would be talking about Prince if he was just a singer - he's good, but not exactly world-class.

19. Hot Ptah

Hot Ptah Forum Resident In Memoriam

B.B. King
    Albert King
    Freddie King
    Muddy Waters

20. BLUESJAZZMAN

I love all 4 of those but in all honesty a few are questionable on the songwriting front!

jwb1231970 likes this.
  21. Beatlened

Beatlened Forum Resident

Elton John and Billy Joel.

jwb1231970 likes this.
  22. Beatlened

Beatlened Forum Resident

Macca regularly features in lists of the best vocalists of all time. Granted now he hasn't much of a voice but time was when he had a great voice which suited many different styles.

23. Drew D. Saur

So, let's consider him part of "The 3." I don't need much prodding on that one; just a little :righton: to make sure that I am being objective! Thanks!

24. Drew D. Saur

So, see my original post in regard to Elton. In regard to Billy - well, his voice seems more universally lauded than Elton's, but, then again, I have heard much dissension about this as well. I grew up on Long Island, and he and his voice are much-beloved there, so it's hard for me to say that I can be truly objective about him...

In regard to playing "The 3," what's key about this pair is that they are near equal in their perceived greatnesses, and you should either have both of them in, or both out. I am open. I have just been waiting to get this conversation going on a grander scale (this thread!) before coming to a conclusion.

25. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

Being a co-writer means he's still a songwriter. And PF has some absolutely classic material that he helped write. So he fits the definition if you ask me.

PhoffiFozz likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.