DCC Archive The 8B Marantz Tube Amp

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gary, Oct 11, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff Thread Starter

This was a reissue in the '90's (1996?) of the famous Marantz amp. originally manufactured back in the '70's or '80's. Looks like Steve's amplifier.

Found one at a used stereo store. The guy claims it was much better than the original - for instance it does not rust :confused: !?!?!? Eh!?!?

Well anyway, does anyone know if it is as good as the original? It's a tad pricey... $3K Canadian.

There was also an old Goodman receiver there - very long and flat. From the '60's. Not sure of the model number. Wow if I had the cash, I'd have an antique stereo in every room!!

2. Angel

Angel New Member

Gary,

Just buy the real thing, for a lot less money. The one below on Ebay belongs to Steve Hoffman, so you know it sounds good and is in great shape. He said the reserve is $1750. I wish I had it!

Here it is on Ebay:

Item # 1282632077

3. Evan

Evan Senior Member

If you can get Steve’s, go for it. If not, I would snap the reissue up in a heartbeat, as a company in North Carolina (I think they are called VAC) made them to the same specs as the originals for Marantz. The reviews I have read indicate that they are very good amps. I have two Marantz model 9 reissues, and the sound great! Tube gear rules! Watch out for Chinese tubes though: they sound tinny. All highs and no mids or bass. You have to make sure that you tube the amp right.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.