the absolute best ever Three Dog Night song!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Scott S., Oct 14, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

As per usual with these kinds of threads, [insert favorite song here] :angel:

So today it's [Family of Man]

jwb1231970 likes this.
  2. varispeed

varispeed what if?

Post #1 indicates to me that the op is stating that the 45 single edit/mix of "Liar" is THE best one of the band's entire output.

I kinda sorta agree on that one. Very imaginative, very active, fader-ups on the single....way different.....way more concise edits. A joy to listen to. And at the time, there was the cool story of how the tiled bathroom was chosen for the three guys to do the overdubs in, crammed in like sardines.

There's a certain lo-fi nature to a lot of the band tracks. I often look at session pics from when the band was tracking. Definite mojo out there at that room. Floyd's drumming and Jimmy's keyboard ideas are (to me) textbook perfect fits for the artform known as the "3-minute Pop Single". Such incredible nuances. Yummy every time, every track.

All that being said, Eli's Comin is pretty perfect too via Corey doing that flat-out crazy, nutty Laura tune that's as out-there perfect as Stone Soul Picnic.

I also agree with those who love Out In the Country.

This was definitely a well-integrated, cohesive, imaginative, 7-man band. I would've given anything to watch them come up with these arrangements!

Bill Diercks, g.z., jwoverho and 3 others like this.
  3. Lexhibit

Lexhibit Forum Resident

Floyd A Most underrated drummer

4. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Three Dog Night's version is pretty decent, but it's not really any improvement on the original.

So then it comes down to whether you'd watch Chuck Negron's coked-out performance, or Leo Sayer's clown getup era performance :)

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
  5. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

Well, the Three Dog Night studio version is much better than the live clip posted earlier!

Actually, Chuck's vocal is very intense and borderline deranged, and you get the feeling that he must be going thru some dark times- which he probably was.
    At the end of the album version, the circus theme gradually slows down to a halt. Very effective.

6. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Another vote for Family of Man. A great band performance, meaningful lyrics, and it gets bonus points for that irresistible main riff - it’s just “All Too Much”. ;)

7. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

The rare band that with such a varied, rich catalog that really differs in style, it’s just too hard to pick one. Like someone else said, it really depends on my mood. Joy To The World…Liar. What a contrast! Hard to believe it’s the same band. But both equally good imo. What a great band to own a compilation of. I still play my vinyl comp regularily.

g.z. likes this.
  8. Spear and Magic Helmet

Spear and Magic Helmet Forum Resident

Gimme the coke every time!

Biscuit Warehouse likes this.
  9. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

Impeccable choice of material, a phenomenally talented band, and three unique and distinctive vocalists. A perfect combination for artistic and commercial success. No surprise they were one of the biggest hits of the ‘70s.

Near impossible to pick one:

Out In The Country
    Pieces Of April
    Eli’s Coming

10. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

Family of Man might be #2 for me. Again, a fabulous B-3 opening.

11. 7solqs4iago

7solqs4iago Forum Resident

still waiting for someone to demonstrate the fill at 18 seconds on Family of Man, as a lousy drummer i know enough, and i won't accept anything that doesn't fully measure up :D

his ghost beat drumming was unique, or at least especially in his day, and without recording gimmicks, One and Easy To Be Hard are other clinics

i see Floyd is alive and painting, did he just drop out of the band? I never read a reason for his staying away.

Enjoyed reading Allsup's journals awhile back on the internet...

Last edited: Oct 15, 2021
  12. CliffL

CliffL Forum Resident

If you were listening to AM radio back circa June 1971, Joy To The World was inescapable!

Re: Danny Hutton-I was lucky back in the 90s and found a copy of his compilation LP "Pre-Dog Night" in a thrift store, it collected many of his solo songs. I remember seeing him in cartoon form on the Flintstones singing Roses And Rainbows...of course he was on Hanna Barbera records when he recorded that song. Another Danny Hutton song I first heard in early 1971 was "Funny How Love Can Be"...at the time I thought it was a new song (it actually came out in 1966). Cool drumming on this as well. The flutes on this reminds me of when we used to play similar sounding toy flutes in music class in elementary school.

13. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

A young drummer friend of mine took lessons from Floyd a few years back. This was in Los Angeles, but I think Floyd moved to Idaho or something.
    My friend said that Floyd was a very nice person, very down to earth, and an amazing drummer.

14. Lexhibit

Lexhibit Forum Resident

The last thing I heard about Floyd is he was playing in the live show with Chuck but that was about 10 years ago.

15. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

Shambala

jwb1231970 and g.z. like this.
  16. John54

John54 Senior Member

Not to me, I'm pretty quick on the trigger when it comes to changing the station!

Yeah, I have that LP too, but I believe I grabbed it out of a delete bin back in the '70s somewhere, at some time.

I can't say I'm fussed about that song. If it's on the LP then I've probably listened to it at least once, and dismissed it.

I didn't really pay attention to the drums but it might be Earl Palmer, who did the honours on Roses and Rainbows.

17. Martin Takamine

Martin Takamine Forum Resident

All their hits are good but I also like You.

stevef and Keith todaro like this.
  18. Dr. Winston Ramone

Dr. Winston Ramone Shoveling smoke with a pitchfork in the wind

Never Been to Spain gets my vote

19. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly 1964-73 rock's best decade

The fact that so many different songs have been mentioned just on page 1 is a pretty good indication that 3 Dog Night had a whole bunch of great songs!
    (by the way my choice was Shambala)

Biscuit Warehouse likes this.
  20. Rockerbox

Rockerbox Senior Member

My favorite Three Dog Night song is very obscure and comes from the mega-obscure 1983 E.P. of theirs called "It's A Jungle". The song is "Livin' It Up" sang by Chuck Negron. It's my favorite because it affects me so personally. I've had horrible, debilitating depression since childhood. A couple of suicide attempts in my teens, and a horrible marriage I luckily got out of. I have some handicaps that people in southeast Kentucky have been horribly mean to me about and got me cruelly took advantage of....But in 2014 I met a wonderful woman named Robin who was/is the total opposite of people I've had to deal with. She has gotten me to take part in things that I never got to do.

Cachiva and Bobby with a dollar like this.
  21. Rich-n-Roll

Rich-n-Roll Forum Resident

Never been to Spain

22. Abbagold

Abbagold Working class hero

Has anyone heard the UK Stateside pressing of their 1st album? “One” has a very dry mix on it and it’s a jaw dropping, veil lifting, blanket off the speaker kinda experience. If ya find it, grab it!

wcarroll likes this.
  23. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Celebrate has everything I need but many others already mentioned are nipping at it's heel. And I wasn't a fan of Liar in the early 70s and can admit I was wrong.

24. souldeep69

souldeep69 Forum Resident

Danny sang lead on one of their best-loved album tracks, "My Impersonal Life".
    "Out In The Country" didn't have a solo lead, but it's Danny and Cory together on the verses and Chuck joins them on the chorus.
    "Celebrate" and "Family of Man" both have significant leads by all three members.
    I always thought it was nice that it worked out that each lead singer had exactly one #1 Billboard hit: Mama Told Me - Cory; Joy To The World - Chuck; Black and White - Danny
    3DN was a major major band for me and around 9 songs tie for favorite. Impossible to pick one.
    I chose this just to show their mastery at switching leads.

stevef, Keith todaro and Kent Gray like this.
  25. vivatones

vivatones Forum Resident

I agree with john54, their very best song is “My Impersonal Life.” (echoes of Phantom of the Opera?)

Keith todaro and John54 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.